Prospect Info: 2024 Draft (2/33): Igor Chernyshov (LW) | Dynamo Moscow (KHL)

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Way ahead of you buddy. ;)

It goes way beyond parekh though. I think Gold Star has had like 10-12 players on Saginaw the last two years. Mintyukov is as a relative unknown Russian player Saginaw brought over who they turned into a top 10 pick.

Igor would play extremely well in Saginaws offensive style especially on a wing centered by Micheal Misa another potential top 5 pick next year

Reactions: Makoshark

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
It goes way beyond parekh though. I think Gold Star has had like 10-12 players on Saginaw the last two years. Mintyukov is as a relative unknown Russian player Saginaw brought over who they turned into a top 10 pick.

Igor would play extremely well in Saginaws offensive style especially on a wing centered by Micheal Misa another potential top 5 pick next year
Tongue in cheek. :laugh:

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
I agree, seems weird to play a guy who would’ve been a KHL player in the CHL and not the AHL. He’s big, he’s strong, he should be placed where he is the most challenged. He also allegedly plays a fairly complete game, he’s not only shooter mcshooterson like Halts.

IMG_0215.gif

Makoshark

Sep 19, 2018
Humboldt County
I'm forming the Chernyshov fan club. I love how he has a chip on his shoulder after the draft getting passed over in the 1st round! I think he's got that fire and will prove the Sharks right in selecting him. He's the #1 power forward prospect in the pool even more so than Haltunnen and will be a future netfront presence & trigger for Celebrini or Smith as well as a penalty killing beast.

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
I'm forming the Chernyshov fan club. I love how he has a chip on his shoulder after the draft getting passed over in the 1st round! I think he's got that fire and will prove the Sharks right in selecting him. He's the #1 power forward prospect in the pool even more so than Haltunnen and will be a future netfront presence & trigger for Celebrini or Smith as well as a penalty killing beast.
I love the Chernyshov pick, and yet, he was invisible during the dev camp. Musty was anything but in his first appearance. I know, it’s only one game and the dude probably doesn’t even speak much English, but to think he’s better than Halttunen who had a monster year is somewhat outrageous right now.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
I love the Chernyshov pick, and yet, he was invisible during the dev camp. Musty was anything but in his first appearance. I know, it’s only one game and the dude probably doesn’t even speak much English, but to think he’s better than Halttunen who had a monster year is somewhat outrageous right now.
I don't think we have much to judge Chernyshov on yet, but I also think the development game probably favored some players' skill sets over others. I'd like to see where he's at after a full year in the OHL, which is probably where he should go next year.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Was it confirmed he was going to play for Saginaw?
Nothing's been confirmed yet with Chernyshov, but looking at his KHL stats, I think a year of guys his own age plus playing on a talented Saginaw team would be a good development year for him.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I’m sure nothing will be confirmed until after camp. These kids all want to play NHL and won’t announce anything until it is determined they don’t make the NHL team.

Grinner

May 31, 2022
I think he'll make the perfect compliment winger for Halt. Right handed shot who can play both sides. Can slide over when Halts is setting up on the left for the one timer

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Chernyshov debuted in the KHL at 16 and has been playing against men for a while. He’s also used to the North American sized ice as Dynamo plays on the smaller rink (hat tip to @Zine for pointing that out.) He was old for his draft year, he’s only 4.5 months younger than Musty. If he signs he should play in the AHL or NHL. Saginaw owning his right is good but I’m not sure sending him to juniors makes much sense.

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
Chernyshov debuted in the KHL at 16 and has been playing against men for a while. He’s also used to the North American sized ice as Dynamo plays on the smaller rink (hat tip to @Zine for pointing that out.) He was old for his draft year, he’s only 4.5 months younger than Musty. If he signs he should play in the AHL or NHL. Saginaw owning his right is good but I’m not sure sending him to juniors makes much sense.
Physically, he could make the AHL right away.
But a positive note about going to juniors for another year would be the integration/acclimatization aspect of living abroad and further developing his overall game in a premium role.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024

In 49 career games in the KHL, he has 4 goals and 1 assist averaging somewhere around 7-8 minutes of ice time per game. That suggests to me that he's probably better suited to a junior league than a pro league at the moment.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
As someone who was not drafted out of the CHL, can he sign his ELC, start in the AHL, and if it seems like OHL is a better option, get sent there? Because that seems like best approach. Start him with our minor league team and see how he fares for a few games, and if it is obvious he should go to Saginaw, then he is assigned there by the Sharks.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Chernyshov could probably hack it in a bottom-6 role in the AHL right now, but is that the best place for him to refine his offensive skills? I’m not so sure. I lean CHL for him.

This guy is in some ways the opposite of Halttunen, who could arguably benefit from playing pros to round out his game. Chernyshov already plays a pro-style game and needs some refinement on his finishing skills.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Physically, he could make the AHL right away.
But a positive note about going to juniors for another year would be the integration/acclimatization aspect of living abroad and further developing his overall game in a premium role.
I'm not too worried about integration if he's in San Jose with guys like Mukahamadullin, Guryev, Gushchin, Nabokov etc.

In 49 career games in the KHL, he has 4 goals and 1 assist averaging somewhere around 7-8 minutes of ice time per game. That suggests to me that he's probably better suited to a junior league than a pro league at the moment.
His numbers in Russian Jrs were strong, and he got the typical young player treatment in the KHL. If there's a top 6 role for him in the AHL, I think he could do well. However, if the goal is to help him develop offensively as @Juxtaposer suggested, then that would be fine too. I'm not strongly in favor of one outcome over another, but I could see the Sharks wanting to keep him close by to try and maximize their input in his development.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Imo, where he plays depends on his contract termination.

Is Chernyshov buying-out his Dynamo contract, or will it be mutual termination? If it's the former he'll likely be in the AHL. He'll need money to reimburse Dynamo for early termination. He won't get that playing for free in the CHL.

Last edited:

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021

Is Chernyshov buying-out his Dynamo contract, or will it be mutual termination? If it's the former he'll likely be in the AHL. He'll need money to reimburse Dynamo for early termination. He won't get that playing for free in the CHL.
Can Milstein/GoldStar buy out the contract with their own money or would that violate the CBA?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

Pretty sure Saginaw could front the money in some way. The ownership group isn't exactly poor.

• Wow

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
I think this was discussed extensively with the Michkov situation but only as it relates to an NHL club buying out the contract, which I think I remember would cause some cap circumvention issues. But if it's an unaffiliated club or an agent, unclear.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Can Milstein/GoldStar buy out the contract with their own money or would that violate the CBA?

I’m no CBA expert but I don’t think a KHL contract buyout would matter to the CBA so if the agent wants to front the money I believe they can.

Pretty sure Saginaw could front the money in some way. The ownership group isn't exactly poor.

Everything is gravy as long as the Sharks aren't directly involved.

Either way a SE insider recently wrote that Dynamo will let him out of the contract. Why keep a young player on a leash who's not even committed to the team for the current season.

Hockey wise the CHL would be the best thing for him. But alone in freakin' Saginaw, MI? Ooooof!

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Everything is gravy as long as the Sharks aren't directly involved.

Either way a SE insider recently wrote that Dynamo will let him out of the contract. Why keep a young player on a leash who's not even committed to the team for the current season.

Hockey wise the CHL would be the best thing for him. But alone in freakin' Saginaw, MI? Ooooof!
it's not a major metro that has a ton of amenities but its not a rural backwater either. just your typical small midwest city. Saginaw has done alright with Russian imports in the past. They almost exclusively draft from Russia or Czechia. They'll be well prepared to make acclimating to the US as easy as possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad