2024 Draft - 1st Pick: Sam O'Reilly (F)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
For those that didn't listen to the JJ interview directly after the pick. Paraphrasing here.
Why did you move up? JJ - Our cupboards need filling. Our scouts had him positioned much higher in the draft.
Any UFA signings to speak about, Brown,? JJ - We think we will get all ( pause) our free agents signed.

WEMCHUD

Oct 28, 2014
Just saw a vid of Leon texting him welcoming him to the oilers. Don't want to read too much into things, but doesn't seem like the type of move that someone who wants to leave the organization would be doing...
Hopefully it's a good sign for an upcoming Leon extension.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
We must be reading different scouting reports. The ones I have read say this one is more top 10 picks with a steep drop off after that and next years is a more balance where you will see a lot of changes in draft rankings and different outlets will have vastly different rankings
I'm pretty sure you are correct on that. My bad!

Reactions: oilers'72

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
He's already got a great defensive game. It seems like his offensive game got buried behind some older players but he was very good in the playoffs and the Memorial Cup. He'll have a larger role next season and a chance to take off offensively

Reactions: oilers'72

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Is he supposed to be a rookie on his team? Looks very confident even cocky for a rookie. Lots of beaver tails and I think he's right too when he makes them. Most good players are confident though like this though. He looks really smart out there. And better than his line mates.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Well well.. step away for a bit and the Oilers pull this out of their bag! I actually made time to read Brock Otten's prospect list during one of the down periods between playoff games and saw what he said about this kid. Thought it was interesting but never thought he'd be gracing Oilers silks on draft day so never thought beyond it. And yet here we are.

I like the pick. He hits on at least 2 of the 3 criteria that Kalle Larsson guy they brought on board likes and targeted when he was recruiting for Dubuque -- he's smart, and he's a competitor (the other criteria being skating / speed). Seems like the philosophy is taking hold! And only recently converted to a F. Looking at his OJHL numbers he certainly was a scorer there, and had a pretty decent transition to the OHL. I really like this pick, and I trust Brock Otten's work on OHL prospects a great deal.

Can't believe I'm praising a move by the front office but here we are. Well done Pracey for pushing Jackson and co. to trade up for this. I know I'm in the minority here but they absolutely need to rebuild the pipeline of junior talent and this is a very good start.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think I’ve said my opinion on him. Can’t be worse than what we have had and his first year with the Avs was unreal btw
Yeah he hit his first year out of the park. Maybe 2nd times the charm and we get another great first year of drafting out of him.

And I agree, he can't be worse than Tyler Wright. Well... I suppose he could be in the sense that our drafting could just continue to be awful.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Then why did he get fired from Colorado if he was doing a good job?

At the end of the day he might be an improvement but his history is not good. Just cause you recognize a name doesn’t mean they are a good player or pick.

All that said, props to the kid, hope he does well next year.

People run their course with an organization all the time. Look at MacT for instance. As a coach he was pretty good when he was here. But 9 years is a long time for a voice to be talking and eventually the players stopped listening to him. GMs Coaches Scouts we see them move around all the time. Sometimes it’s just time to let a guy go in professional sports.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
For those that didn't listen to the JJ interview directly after the pick. Paraphrasing here.
Why did you move up? JJ - Our cupboards need filling. Our scouts had him positioned much higher in the draft.
Any UFA signings to speak about, Brown,? JJ - We think we will get all ( pause) our free agents signed.
I don't think we need all of them back though lol

Watching that shift video. Is this kid supposed to have bad skating? Maybe his top speed could use work. But I really like HOW he skates. With a quick hop in his step, like he's playing on his toes. I think it shows high and fast processing of the game, maybe why he anticipates so well.
He's got great hockey IQ. In my opinion, that is the most important asset required to be a good NHLer whether it be the top line, 3rd line, etc.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
2010-2012: Hall, Pitlick, Marincin, Davidson, Nuge, Klefbom, Rieder, Yakupov, Khaira, Gustafsson
Thats 10.
Hall Nuge Klefbom Yakupov all first round.

Pitlick reach at that spot better guys went later.
Marincin had half a good year followed by ups and downs until he was traded to TO and dissapeared.

Reider flash in the pan everywhere but here where he is known for going an entire season without a goal :laugh: refused to sign with us traded for coke machine.

Davidson anyone seen him since he left?

Khaira had his moments ok pick at that spot.MIA since he left.

Gustafson turned out solid for a while but we never reaped any benifit at all.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I like the pick. The kid sounds very promising, soft spoken, down to earth, and seems to have good character as well. Skating may be his weakness, but that’s one skill that can be improved upon with hard work in this era of hockey. He’s giving me the Hyman/ROR type of feeling. Welcome to Oil Country, kid!

I find it funny his nickname is peanuts despite being allergic to peanuts also lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad