Prospect Info: 2024 Draft (1/11): Sam Dickinson (D) | London Knights (OHL)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
This pick was acquired from Buffalo for the 14th pick (originally belonging to Pittsburgh and acquired in the Erik Karlsson trade) and the 42nd pick (originally belonging to New Jersey and acquired in the Timo Meier trade).

OutletRank
NHL Central Scouting#7 North American Skater
TSN Bob McKenzie#6
TSN Craig Button#10
EliteProspects#10
Sportsnet Cosentino#8
Sportsnet Bukala#10
Future Considerations#6
THN Ryan Kennedy#5
THN Tony Ferrari#10
Tankathon#8
FloHockey#9
Daily Faceoff#9
Dobber Hockey#10
The Hockey Writers#6

EliteProspects
Player Type Keywords: Heavy Shooter, Speedster, Two-Way Defenseman

Dickinson can mirror footwork in close, take away space, and step into opponents to get stops. His defensive range can almost make it impossible to get past him. With the puck, he’s decisive and explosive, drawing in forechecking pressure only to leave it in his dust as he carries the puck from zone to zone unimpeded.

------------------------------------------------------------------

The Hockey Writers

I think Sam Dickinson has been somewhat underrated this year because of his left-handed shot. No defenceman has looked calmer or more in control than him. His ability to control the flow of the game around him made him one of the London Knights’ best defenders, regularly playing alongside Oliver Bonk on the top pairing. During the regular season, he put up 70 points in 68 games, then took a slight step back in the playoffs, putting up just 13 points in 18 games. However, he didn’t struggle; rather, he was playing a more defensive role to allow Bonk to take over offensively. Dickinson’s ability to adapt to any situation made the Knights nearly unstoppable, falling only to the Saginaw Spirit in the Memorial Cup Final.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The Athletic
Tier: Top of the lineup player

Skating: Above NHL average
Puck skills: NHL average
Hockey sense: Below NHL average
Compete: Above NHL average
Shot: High-end

Player comparable: Noah Hanifin

Analysis: Dickinson was a major minutes player on a great London team. It’s easy to envision him having a long NHL career. He’s a 6-foot-3 defenseman who is one of the best skaters in the draft. He has an explosive, fluid stride that easily picks up power. He breaks up plays and closes gaps easily due to his skating and creates so much possession time for his team. Dickinson is very skilled at handling the puck, and often creates chances due to the combo of his skating and skill. He also has a hard slap shot from the point and projects to score a good number of goals in the NHL. He has offense and can make some tough plays but I wouldn’t say it’s his vision that gets you excited about his game. Even with that in mind, in terms of what he could be in the league, I see a player with PP2 potential who could have a major impact at even strength.

Pick grade: B+

Thoughts on the pick: The Sharks have to be very happy with how the draft played out for them. They get a potential top pair two-way defenseman in Dickinson to go alongside Macklin Celebrini in the same class. They traded up to 11 to secure a premier defense prospect and were able to accomplish that.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5598387/2024/06/28/sharks-rangers-nhl-draft-picks-grades-2024/ (****PAYWALL****)

------------------------------------------------------------------
FloHockey

One of the best pure athletes in the draft, Dickinson still has a bit of rawness to his game that should make him an intriguing player for teams’ player development staffs to get to work with. With 70 points this season, Dickinson was uniquely productive for a player at his size and age in the OHL. While he was especially productive, Dickinson still needs to round out his game and while he’s certainly skilled, he may not be a dynamic play-driver at the next level. I’ve heard throughout the year that the only thing that keeps Dickinson from more firmly being in the top-five conversation is that his hockey sense isn’t quite at the same level as some of the other top D in this class. There’s also some belief his stats were inflated by the quality of team he was on. But the athletic toolkit, the size, his competitive drive, the way he executed this year and the way his game grew year over year from his rookie season are major factors in his being part of the elite tier of defensemen in this class. He has a good chance to be a top-four defenseman with solid production and enough of a defensive acumen to be trusted in high leverage situations.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sportsnet.ca (Jason Bukala)

Dickinson logged a ton of minutes at the OHL level skating for the London Knights. He was deployed in all situations. Dickinson has an extra gear in open ice. He can transition pucks on his own or join the rush as an extra layer offensively. He shoots the puck with authority and has proven he can beat goalies from range. Dickinson is the kind of defenceman who has the hockey sense, size and skill to log minutes as a top pairing defenceman in the NHL. There are moments I’d like to see him play with more assertiveness defensively, but with the amount of ice time he logs he has to pace himself at times at the junior level.

NHL Projection: Top pairing. Deployed in all situations

Last edited:

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Okay, please explain to me like I'm six years old. How is he compared to Buium? Better? How so? I can't believe we had that choice. From what I've gathered, fans on this board is crazy over Buium, but is it because you don't think Dickenson would be available for us?

From what I gather, Dickinson is an incredibly smart, two-way defenseman that’s super mobile, big, responsible on both ends of the ice, etc. I think he is less offensively gifted than Buium but he plays an NHL-ready game and his floor is high. Hes almost for sure a top 4 defenseman, with a chance of being #1.

But @Juxtaposer and others will surely be able to give a better report, this is simply from me reading scouts!

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
Okay, please explain to me like I'm six years old. How is he compared to Buium? Better? How so? I can't believe we had that choice. From what I've gathered, fans on this board is crazy over Buium, but is it because you don't think Dickenson would be available for us?

I don´t think that´s it, IMHO Buium falling to us was even more unlikely than Dickinson.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I don´t think that´s it, IMHO Buium falling to us was even more unlikely than Dickinson.

I feel like Dickinson was the safest pick of the 6D in that he’s certainly going to be a very solid NHL player with upside to be more. When you have no defensive prospects outside of Muhk, I think it was just the safest choice. I love Buium and I desperately wanted him (Jewish! Wears my #!) but I get the pick.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Ultimately I think Buium vs Dickinson was incredibly close with Buium probably being the sexier pick. But I believe in MG making the right decision here and that he wants to build a very big and mobile defence that will help Celebrini and Smith destroy the league.
When in doubt, size matters. This is Pietrangelo but LH. Just a winning player.

The McMafia

Sep 2, 2011
San Diego, CA
From what I gather, Dickinson is an incredibly smart, two-way defenseman that’s super mobile, big, responsible on both ends of the ice, etc. I think he is less offensively gifted than Buium but he plays an NHL-ready game and his floor is high. Hes almost for sure a top 4 defenseman, with a chance of being #1.

But @Juxtaposer and others will surely be able to give a better report, this is simply from me reading scouts!

I think he's a for sure #2 guy, either dominating on the second pair or paired with a true #1. Getting him was a steal at #11. Low(er) risk but still high reward.

Buium is probably a #1 offensive guy with more pure upside. He would have been great too, just different.

No wrong choice given Levshunov was gone. Parekh, Dickinson, and Buium are all close and more a question of preference.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I think he's a for sure #2 guy, either dominating on the second pair or paired with a true #1. Getting him was a steal at #11. Low(er) risk but still high reward.

Buium is probably a #1 offensive guy with more pure upside. He would have been great too, just different.

No wrong choice given Levshunov was gone. Parekh, Dickinson, and Buium are all close and more a question of preference.

If you’re right, getting a #2D and Celebrini is just absolutely nuts. What a draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad