Confirmed with Link: 2024 Buffalo Sabres Development Camp (July 1-4)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'll be missing this yet again. I expect that by the time I can make one again, they will be done with the on-ice portion and it won't be the "thing" it once was.

Anyway, curious if they have any quality invitees this year or not. Chatfield was at the last one I think I made and he's managed to figure it out with his time in Vancouver and Carolina.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Roster Expectations before Invites (depending on guys who had deep playoff runs):

FORWARDS (21)
- Costantini, Matteo
- Helenius, Konsta
- Huglen, Aaron
- Karlsson, Gustav
- Kisakov, Aleksandr
- Kozak, Tyson
- Kulich, Jiri
- Marjala, Viljami
- Miedema, Ethan
- Nadeau, Olivier
- Neuchev, Viktor
- Ostlund, Noah
- Rosen, Isak
- Richard, Jake
- Ratkovic Berndtsson, Joel
- Sardarian, Stiven
- Savoie, Matthew
- Sjodin, Linus
- von Barnekow, William
- Wahlberg, Anton
- Ziemer, Brodie

DEFENSEMEN (11)
- Brunet, Simon-Pier
- Geary, Patrick
- Johnson, Ryan
- Keohane, Sean
- Kleber, Adam
- Komarov, Vsevolod
- McCarthy, Gavin
- Novikov, Nikita
- Osburn, Luke
- Panocha, Norwin
- Strbak, Maxim

GOALTENDERS (3)
- Leenders, Ryerson
- Leinonen, Topias
- Ratzlaff, Scott

WOULD NOT EXPECT: Prokhor Poltapov, Vasili Zelenov

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Invitees -

First year Quinnipiac forward Andon Cerbone - Andon Cerbone - Stats, Contract, Salary & More
NTDP grad and Denver commit Brendan McMorrow - Brendan McMorrow - Stats, Contract, Salary & More
Tri-City RW and Pendleton native Ryan Smith - Ryan Smith - Stats, Contract, Salary & More
UMass-Lowell Center and Amherst native Jak Vaarwerk - Jak Vaarwerk - Stats, Contract, Salary & More
Jr. Sabres Goal Aiden McKenna - Elite Prospects - Advanced Hockey Player Search

All 8 defensemen are draftees, three of the goalies too.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Like everything else the last 2-3 days...wtf?

1719772605127.png

That missing column is the biggest, most stacked I've ever seen.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Figure some of these guys have done two or three of them, multi-year AHL pros. The only one who is somewhat surprising for me is Marjala but he's done three of these.
Marjala and Sjodin are the surprises for me.

Maybe I'm not use to so many 1st rounders missing, because they're usually graduates by now.

Fly Boy

Aye Sir!
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan
Like everything else the last 2-3 days...wtf?

View attachment 890042

That missing column is the biggest, most stacked I've ever seen.
Imagine you're a prospect coming to camp, thinking you showed really well and then realizing that this was the B team camp. And on top of that all of the A guys are fighting for 1 spot on the big club. It must be really daunting for some of these kids when they see they're 10th on the prospect depth chart just at their specific position and how much they'll need to climb and who they need to pass.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Imagine you're a prospect coming to camp, thinking you showed really well and then realizing that this was the B team camp. And on top of that all of the A guys are fighting for 1 spot on the big club. It must be really daunting for some of these kids when they see they're 10th on the prospect depth chart just at their specific position and how much they'll need to climb and who they need to pass.

Most are more than a year away from even possibly being in contention for anything. Neuchev might be the closest and that is going to require his full season build off his excellent 2nd half. Helenius too is probably at least one year out or more. There isn't a single pro contract defenseman at camp either. These are the guys who need more work and more time. I would figure the others are going to be in the midst of summer training and they don't want to interfere with that. One day, probably soon, these will no longer feature an on-ice portion.

Fly Boy

Aye Sir!
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan
Most are more than a year away from even possibly being in contention for anything. Neuchev might be the closest and that is going to require his full season build off his excellent 2nd half. Helenius too is probably at least one year out or more. There isn't a single pro contract defenseman at camp either. These are the guys who need more work and more time. I would figure the others are going to be in the midst of summer training and they don't want to interfere with that. One day, probably soon, these will no longer feature an on-ice portion.
Oh for sure. I'm speaking more to the camp invites and the lower round picks who were considered long shots to begin with. Its just a crazy amount of high end skill and depth that they all have to compete with. But that hopefully brings out the best in a few of them.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Oh for sure. I'm speaking more to the camp invites and the lower round picks who were considered long shots to begin with. Its just a crazy amount of high end skill and depth that they all have to compete with. But that hopefully brings out the best in a few of them.

Of the two invitees who aren't local, Cerbone had good reviews for his defensive game in EP's '23 draft guide.

EP also had McMorrow at 130 on this year's draft guide. Black Book roasted him.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
Play well at your level and prove your worth.

There are 31 other teams in the league. (and most aren't dysfunctional and will find talent no matter where it is.)

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Sigh. The days of the stacked, full development camp rosters are over. It was a fun ride!

Still it's always fun to pop down to HC on a hot summer day for free AC to see live pucks flying around.

After Helenius, I'm most interested to see the defense. Strbak vs McCarthy vs where they were last year. Also want to see Kleber next to them. I have a feeling Osburn is going to impress in drills with his mobility.

Should also be the most interesting camp for goalies in a while with three drafted prospects.

Has Von Barnekow always been listed at 6'4? That's a big boy. I remember liking him at last year's camp. Is he actually a center for Malmo? He could be in Roch for 25-26.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dingo44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad