Prospect Info: 2024 Boston Bruins Development Camp Media Guide and Roster

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
He’s my two takeaways on Letourneau

1. The way he receives passes - hard passes - the way a great wide receiver or elite catcher receives a ball. Different

2. His natural quick ability to poke check - if you get near him and think he’s your typical defender think again. He broke up so many plays before the opponent made a move because they assumed through experience they are still in their ‘safe area’ out of his reach - um, no.

he’s super impressive - very easy to see why they drafted him

Basically here is the deal

Go to BC and be trained on and off the ice ~ get up to speed

When he can play harder and with pace - maybe it’s year 3 at age 20-21 then you sign him

When he is old enough to legally buy a drink I bet on the ice he’s an absolute monster

He just needs time and experience and game growth - the he was ‘blessed with’ you can’t get he got.

We gotta wait maybe longer than usual but it will be worth it

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I attended from about 10:00AM to the end. I caught a 5x5 scrimmage with Letourneau's group against another squad and then all of the 3X3. I could not watch everyone, especially in the 3X3, but I tried to get a good look at the main guys. Thoughts below:

Letourneau - Okay, okay. I arrived ready to be underwhelmed and came away highly impressed. He is a giant. Has a very similar build and posture to Malkin. His St. Andrew's coach was raving about how athletic he is for a big man, and that is 100% accurate. I saw quick feet, quick hands and a quick mind. He is miles ahead of where Joe Colborne was at this age. Showed more natural skill with the puck than any other player on the ice. Beyond the skill, which you expect for a 1st round pick, there were moments that stood out that were very encouraging for a player drafted for frame and athleticism. First, he makes very quick decisions and moves the puck instantly to teammates. In one play in the 5x5, he got the puck in full stride just outside the offensive blue line and instantly slipped it over to another forward for possession coming into the zone. In the 3x3, he had what looked to be a break to the net and he slid a pass to a teammate and got it back and then buried it for a classic 3x3 goal. So, he sees the ice and looks to use his teammates, which is huge. The other thing is he has a great defensive stick. At least twice on the forecheck I saw him strip an oncoming opposing player clean and turn to the attack. This skill shows hockey IQ and can often translate to the defensive zone, especially on the PK. Finally, he does have a pretty hard shot. Saw him get a cross-ice pass on the strong side and he ripped a catch and release shot that grazed the bar and when screaming into the netting. You could see he got a lot of power on it, even standing still. The negative is that there is absolutely nothing "hard" about his game. This is not a player who is going to put his shoulder into an opponent to separate them from the puck, but he can be a player that beats defenders to the puck with this stride and reach and holds on to it. He is also much more an open ice player than a guy who plays the corners and the wall. The best comparison I can think of at the moment is Blake Wheeler. I am hoping he becomes like Wheeler, but more of a shooter/goal scorer. There is perhaps a bit of Rick Nash in there, but, again, that is stylistic, as Nash was a special player. Finally, I saw a lot of compete in his game. He clearly wanted to be a difference maker every time he was on the ice, and often he was. I predict 30+ points for BC this year.

Jellvik - Most pro ready player on the ice. Quick, strong, gets to dirty areas and now showing finish around the net. I am not sure really what he is at the NHL level. Could potentially be something, but we just won't know until he turns pro. Often these guys just become good AHL players, sometimes they become Arvidsson or even Marchand. I don't see quite that skill, but there is a ton of compete and engine there.

Gasseau - Looks faster and stronger. No longer looks lanky. Plays a physical game. Has a pretty wicked shot and scored from distance a couple times, once on a blistering one-timer. Reminds me of Brazeau. Clearly one of the more advanced players on the ice.

Pelosi/Hendrickson - They look like twins. I love the jam and compete in their games. They also show enough skill to separate themselves from the pack against his group of competition. They were playing together in 3X3 and both scored. I am not sure if the skill level gets them all the way to the NHL, but if it does, they play like ideal 4th liners.

Duran - I am not buying it. He looks absolutely perfect in drills, but it does not come together in games. All tools, no toolbox guy.

Harrison - I'm buying it a bit more than Duran, but I think he lacks the skill for the NHL and he is not a player with exceptional motor and courage that could otherwise get him a 4th line job.

Groenewold - I like him, but I'm not sure I would have noticed him if I was not specifically looking for him. I can see the Ryan Lindgren comparisons. Has a read strong build and low center of gravity, but also the mobility to stay between forwards and the net. Scored a goal on a pretty nice shot. I like his chances better than the thin, puck moving defensemen.

Myrenberg/Gallagher/Brunet - Lumping them all together because they all looked the same to me. Skate beautifully and move the puck very well, but I don't see any of them coming near the NHL. Not nearly enough strength and power for NHL battles.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I attended from about 10:00AM to the end. I caught a 5x5 scrimmage with Letourneau's group against another squad and then all of the 3X3. I could not watch everyone, especially in the 3X3, but I tried to get a good look at the main guys. Thoughts below:

Letourneau - Okay, okay. I arrived ready to be underwhelmed and came away highly impressed. He is a giant. Has a very similar build and posture to Malkin. His St. Andrew's coach was raving about how athletic he is for a big man, and that is 100% accurate. I saw quick feet, quick hands and a quick mind. He is miles ahead of where Joe Colborne was at this age. Showed more natural skill with the puck than any other player on the ice. Beyond the skill, which you expect for a 1st round pick, there were moments that stood out that were very encouraging for a player drafted for frame and athleticism. First, he makes very quick decisions and moves the puck instantly to teammates. In one play in the 5x5, he got the puck in full stride just outside the offensive blue line and instantly slipped it over to another forward for possession coming into the zone. In the 3x3, he had what looked to be a break to the net and he slid a pass to a teammate and got it back and then buried it for a classic 3x3 goal. So, he sees the ice and looks to use his teammates, which is huge. The other thing is he has a great defensive stick. At least twice on the forecheck I saw him strip an oncoming opposing player clean and turn to the attack. This skill shows hockey IQ and can often translate to the defensive zone, especially on the PK. Finally, he does have a pretty hard shot. Saw him get a cross-ice pass on the strong side and he ripped a catch and release shot that grazed the bar and when screaming into the netting. You could see he got a lot of power on it, even standing still. The negative is that there is absolutely nothing "hard" about his game. This is not a player who is going to put his shoulder into an opponent to separate them from the puck, but he can be a player that beats defenders to the puck with this stride and reach and holds on to it. He is also much more an open ice player than a guy who plays the corners and the wall. The best comparison I can think of at the moment is Blake Wheeler. I am hoping he becomes like Wheeler, but more of a shooter/goal scorer. There is perhaps a bit of Rick Nash in there, but, again, that is stylistic, as Nash was a special player. Finally, I saw a lot of compete in his game. He clearly wanted to be a difference maker every time he was on the ice, and often he was. I predict 30+ points for BC this year.

Jellvik - Most pro ready player on the ice. Quick, strong, gets to dirty areas and now showing finish around the net. I am not sure really what he is at the NHL level. Could potentially be something, but we just won't know until he turns pro. Often these guys just become good AHL players, sometimes they become Arvidsson or even Marchand. I don't see quite that skill, but there is a ton of compete and engine there.

Gasseau - Looks faster and stronger. No longer looks lanky. Plays a physical game. Has a pretty wicked shot and scored from distance a couple times, once on a blistering one-timer. Reminds me of Brazeau. Clearly one of the more advanced players on the ice.

Pelosi/Hendrickson - They look like twins. I love the jam and compete in their games. They also show enough skill to separate themselves from the pack against his group of competition. They were playing together in 3X3 and both scored. I am not sure if the skill level gets them all the way to the NHL, but if it does, they play like ideal 4th liners.

Duran - I am not buying it. He looks absolutely perfect in drills, but it does not come together in games. All tools, no toolbox guy.

Harrison - I'm buying it a bit more than Duran, but I think he lacks the skill for the NHL and he is not a player with exceptional motor and courage that could otherwise get him a 4th line job.

Groenewold - I like him, but I'm not sure I would have noticed him if I was not specifically looking for him. I can see the Ryan Lindgren comparisons. Has a read strong build and low center of gravity, but also the mobility to stay between forwards and the net. Scored a goal on a pretty nice shot. I like his chances better than the thin, puck moving defensemen.

Myrenberg/Gallagher/Brunet - Lumping them all together because they all looked the same to me. Skate beautifully and move the puck very well, but I don't see any of them coming near the NHL. Not nearly enough strength and power for NHL battles.

Love all the different perspectives.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Awesome - really enjoyed you assessment

Gasseau bang on

Hopefully he gets Smith spot between Leonard & Perrault

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

Thanks much !

aguineapig72

Jun 28, 2023
Duran - Impressive camp. Plays really tenacious, multiple plays where he drops the shoulder and takes the puck to the net.

Myrenberg - Skilled, big, great skater… He will be an NHL defenseman.
Duran will not be the guy that puts you over the top, but you will never have gotten there in the first place without him. Can't win without the guys in the trenches.

Thank You to the Canucks for Myrenberg, put him on our tab along with what we owe you for Schmautzie, Neely and 2011.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Most improved from last year
Edward, Gallagher, Myrenberg,Harrison

MVP of Camp
Jellvik,Duran
Honorable mention Matty P

Pleasantly surprised
Morello,Groenewold

Lived up to the hype
Letourneau

Free agent of Camp
I liked all 4
Veremyev is a power forward
Bancroft projects as an energy guy, the dude laid out to block a shot during the scrimmage on July 4
Mastrodomenico was pretty steady
And Cole Moore was Goalie of Camp

Hardest Shot
Gasseau, Letourneau and Nassen

Rankings to follow

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

You know, I was Hamilton before Hamilton was cool.

And I considered the possibility of a multi-universe in the 1970s, long before the Hollywood arm of Marvel made bank on the concept.

I tell you now: alternate worlds, alternate universes, are a thing.

For I find myself emerging into one in which Don Sweeney embraces size, physicality and a mean streak.

I have to rest now. I have the ethers.

The shock is fantastically intoxicating and therefore considerable.

Reports to follow.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
For those who went and/or know more about these guys, who do you think is the first to be a regular in the NHL?

(Poitras aside)

More talking about guys who haven’t played in the NHL yet.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
For those who went and/or know more about these guys, who do you think is the first to be a regular in the NHL?

(Poitras aside)

From the group here this week I would think the edge goes to Duran if for no other reason than he'll be in Providence not college this year

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
You know, I was Hamilton before Hamilton was cool.

And I considered the possibility of a multi-universe in the 1970s, long before the Hollywood arm of Marvel made bank on the concept.

I tell you now: alternate worlds, alternate universes, are a thing.

For I find myself emerging into one in which Don Sweeney embraces size, physicality and a mean streak.

I have to rest now. I have the ethers.

The shock is fantastically intoxicating and therefore considerable.

Reports to follow.
Any cool ice creams we don’t have please bring back

Actually the story whether real or not after game 6 loss against Florida, Sweeney & Neely just sat in their swivel seats in the luxury box long after the last staffer (Evan Gold) left

They didn’t talk for 10 minutes and Don Sweeney stood and just looked down on the ice. Finally he turned to Cam, and said ‘f*** it. Let’s go big and kill them’

Cam smiled never said a word and they walked out

Last edited:

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA

(Poitras aside)

Duran. Strong, fast, simple and smart. Not flashy, not high end, but a Paille type if they don't break his spirit.

Any cool ice creams we don’t have please bring back

Actually the story whether real or not after game 6 loss against Florida, Sweeney & Neely just sat in their swivel seats in the luxury box long after the last staffer (Evan Gold) left

They didn’t talk for 10 minutes and Don Sweeney stood and just looked down on the ice. Finally he turned to Cam, and said ‘f*** it. Let’s go big and kill them’

Cam smiled never said a word and they walked out
Haha. I said to Eric on Day 1 that this off-season feels like Cam finally won an argument.

bruinmann77

Feb 27, 2002
bronx ny
Visit site
Most improved from last year
Edward, Gallagher, Myrenberg,Harrison

MVP of Camp
Jellvik,Duran
Honorable mention Matty P

Pleasantly surprised
Morello,Groenewold

Lived up to the hype
Letourneau

Free agent of Camp
I liked all 4
Veremyev is a power forward
Bancroft projects as an energy guy, the dude laid out to block a shot during the scrimmage on July 4
Mastrodomenico was pretty steady
And Cole Moore was Goalie of Camp

Hardest Shot
Gasseau, Letourneau and Nassen

Rankings to follow
Any of the Fa that we can sign or must wait till the finish school?

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Unlikely although we are in uncharted waters regarding College players as of late, anything could happen I guess
I think Veremyev turns pro in the Spring

Bancroft is a maybe, those guys tend to stay all 4 years at Cornell but if he's near a point per game player again plus he's on the older side....

Apparently Mastrodomenico was a big deal in his teenage years but has kind of fizzled out,I liked him and I think there's upside but how much upside? Worthy of a 2 way? I'm not sure and if am him I only leave early if it's a 2 way

Cole Moore had a very good camp that followed up a strong Freshman season, I think it's more likely he hits the transfer portal and takes his talents to a "bigger" Hockey school vs turning pro in April but I'd be all in if he does

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

In theory they are free agents and could sign today I believe. But it is extremely unlikely anyone signs without returning to school for another year. I believe Gleb is heading for his Junior year, and will likely sign in April/May

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Id love this to be true, do you think if McDavid signs long term that Drai still leaves though?
I think he’s gone

Chicago would be wise to target him - I’m the league I would love that

Bruins will have the $ and Pastrnak already said he’d like him here

Bruins D & G should keep them in every game and it’s like Love Boat franchise

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad