Prospect Info: 2024 Boston Bruins Development Camp Media Guide and Roster

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Thoughts after two days...
(If I don't have a comment on the player that means I don't have enough to say at the moment.)
  • Morello - Very promising. He can fly, he has size, he works hard and competes. Looking forward to watching his development.
  • Duran - Impressive camp. Plays really tenacious, multiple plays where he drops the shoulder and takes the puck to the net.
  • Jellvik - Most dynamic player in camp. Fast and slippery. Looks great.
  • Locmelis - A little less flash and a little more grind in his game this year.
  • Walsh - Showed some really good skill and had a gorgeous shootout goal.
  • Harrison - Wiring the puck and picking his spots. He hasn’t stood out yet so I’m hoping his intensity will show in the competitive games.
  • Hendrickson - Improved.
  • Schmaltz -
  • Nassen - Nice goal in the shootout.
  • Poitras - Looks to be about 80%. Still has that paralyzing cutback that completely shakes defenders and is the most creative and crafty player out there, but there’s a bit of rust. Passes going through his stick, things you never saw last season. Looks thicker and stronger. Great attention to detail in all of the drills. Smartest player on the ice and I think he’s going to have a really good season.
  • Bancroft
  • Pelosi - Another impressive camp from Pelosi. Super determined, competitive, always around the net, always driving to the net. Whoever he’s with does well even if he doesn’t factor in the goal.
  • Veremyev - Intriguing college FA. Plays a power forward game and has good size and intensity.
  • Gasseau -
  • Cheveldayoff -
  • Nelson -
  • Spicer -
  • Mechura -
  • Pederson -
  • Letourneau - About 5 years away from an NHL job. He is very smooth and skilled but he does not play with pace, he glides when he should continue driving, he makes a move and drifts because he’s used to that being enough but at this camp the guy you just beat stops on a dime and comes back at you hard. So while you’re gliding that guys is closing and about to strip the puck from you. All those continued pace, continued urgency type qualities are things you learn by playing against faster and more intense competition. IMHO he is making a mistake going to BC next year. He should go to the USHL for a season to get his pace and compete level up, then BC for 2 years where he continues to build his pace and intensity, then Providence for a year where he learns to play against men of equal strength, then the NHL. Basically, the Mason Lohrei blueprint. I expect him to score 7 points for BC next year. Doesn’t mean he can’t still be a star, but there are multiple levels of urgency above where he is now.

• Brunet - Skilled and quick. Hoping for a productive Providence season from him.
  • Gallagher - More noticeable than in the past (for me at least). More physical and showing a bit more offensive touch.
  • Myrenberg - Skilled, big, great skater… He will be an NHL defenseman.
  • Langenbrunner -
  • Mast -
  • Mastrodeomenico -
  • Bavaro - Impressed with his skill and impact. Has made several good plays. He looks like another good find.
  • Edward - Best defenseman at camp. Super competitive, n quarter given, ripped the stick out of Jelvik’s hands in a battle drill after pasting him to the glass repeatedly. Really active stick defensively and consistently gets stick on puck to disrupt offensive players. Scored some nice goals in the games as well.
  • Kostadinski - Skating has improved from an F to a D.
  • Groenewold - Really great pick. Looks as good if not better than any of the seasoned NCAA defensemen in camp which bodes really well for him next year. Skates well, has size, keeps tight gaps, defends hard (although he got burned by Poitras), moves the puck well.

• Moore - Bowling Green is the best goalie in camp IMO.
  • Svedeback - Flashes athleticism but his technique is loose and sloppy while the other guys are sharp and precise.
  • Bischel -
  • Caron - Made some great saves. Also looks good.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
How crowded has it been. Considering heading over tomorrow, which i assume will be the most crowded day, but maybe the Holiday will keep some away

Raleighfern

Apr 7, 2017
(If I don't have a comment on the player that means I don't have enough to say at the moment.)
  • Morello - Very promising. He can fly, he has size, he works hard and competes. Looking forward to watching his development.
  • Duran - Impressive camp. Plays really tenacious, multiple plays where he drops the shoulder and takes the puck to the net.
  • Harrison - Wiring the puck and picking his spots. He hasn’t stood out yet so I’m hoping his intensity will show in the competitive games.
  • Schmaltz -
  • Poitras - Looks to be about 80%. Still has that paralyzing cutback that completely shakes defenders and is the most creative and crafty player out there, but there’s a bit of rust. Passes going through his stick, things you never saw last season. Looks thicker and stronger. Great attention to detail in all of the drills. Smartest player on the ice and I think he’s going to have a really good season.
  • Bancroft
  • Pelosi - Another impressive camp from Pelosi. Super determined, competitive, always around the net, always driving to the net. Whoever he’s with does well even if he doesn’t factor in the goal.
  • Veremyev - Intriguing college FA. Plays a power forward game and has good size and intensity.
  • Gasseau -
  • Cheveldayoff -
  • Nelson -
  • Spicer -
  • Mechura -
  • Pederson -
  • Letourneau - About 5 years away from an NHL job. He is very smooth and skilled but he does not play with pace, he glides when he should continue driving, he makes a move and drifts because he’s used to that being enough but at this camp the guy you just beat stops on a dime and comes back at you hard. So while you’re gliding that guys is closing and about to strip the puck from you. All those continued pace, continued urgency type qualities are things you learn by playing against faster and more intense competition. IMHO he is making a mistake going to BC next year. He should go to the USHL for a season to get his pace and compete level up, then BC for 2 years where he continues to build his pace and intensity, then Providence for a year where he learns to play against men of equal strength, then the NHL. Basically, the Mason Lohrei blueprint. I expect him to score 7 points for BC next year. Doesn’t mean he can’t still be a star, but there are multiple levels of urgency above where he is now.

• Brunet - Skilled and quick. Hoping for a productive Providence season from him.
  • Gallagher - More noticeable than in the past (for me at least). More physical and showing a bit more offensive touch.
  • Langenbrunner -
  • Mast -
  • Mastrodeomenico -
  • Bavaro - Impressed with his skill and impact. Has made several good plays. He looks like another good find.
  • Edward - Best defenseman at camp. Super competitive, n quarter given, ripped the stick out of Jelvik’s hands in a battle drill after pasting him to the glass repeatedly. Really active stick defensively and consistently gets stick on puck to disrupt offensive players. Scored some nice goals in the games as well.
  • Groenewold - Really great pick. Looks as good if not better than any of the seasoned NCAA defensemen in camp which bodes really well for him next year. Skates well, has size, keeps tight gaps, defends hard (although he got burned by Poitras), moves the puck well.

• Svedeback - Flashes athleticism but his technique is loose and sloppy while the other guys are sharp and precise.
  • Bischel -
Thank you!!!!

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
I think going to BC might actually be better than USHL. At the USHL level there is a bigger possibility that he will be able to rely on his skill and size without having to develop a motor. At the NCAA level however, he will have to develop a motor just to keep up.

Drift

Jan 9, 2012
  • Schmaltz -
  • Bancroft
  • Gasseau -
  • Cheveldayoff -
  • Nelson -
  • Spicer -
  • Mechura -
  • Pederson -

• Langenbrunner -
  • Mast -
  • Mastrodeomenico -

• Bischel -
This was my concern with Letourneau. Seemed like he had the correct path setup and now is jumping that and going straight to BC. He looks like he has great potential, just hope he can make that jump and doesn't lose confidence.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
  • Schmaltz -
  • Bancroft
  • Gasseau -
  • Cheveldayoff -
  • Nelson -
  • Spicer -
  • Mechura -
  • Pederson -

• Langenbrunner -
  • Mast -
  • Mastrodeomenico -

• Bischel -
Thanks much !

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Forgive me if this was already mentioned

Is Jellvik turning pro this year or returning to BC? Or will that depend on if he makes the big club

dangermike

Jan 24, 2022
  • Schmaltz -
  • Bancroft
  • Gasseau -
  • Cheveldayoff -
  • Nelson -
  • Spicer -
  • Mechura -
  • Pederson -

• Langenbrunner -
  • Mast -
  • Mastrodeomenico -

• Bischel -
can you speak on jellviks size? he get any thicker from last season?

bruinsfan1968

May 6, 2019
  • Schmaltz -
  • Bancroft
  • Gasseau -
  • Cheveldayoff -
  • Nelson -
  • Spicer -
  • Mechura -
  • Pederson -

• Langenbrunner -
  • Mast -
  • Mastrodeomenico -

• Bischel -
Thank you for sharing, great work!

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
  • Schmaltz -
  • Bancroft
  • Gasseau -
  • Cheveldayoff -
  • Nelson -
  • Spicer -
  • Mechura -
  • Pederson -

• Langenbrunner -
  • Mast -
  • Mastrodeomenico -

• Bischel -

If Letourneau scores 7 points in NCAA in a post-draft year then he is overwhelmingly likely to be a bust. Tage Thompson, whom people want to compare him to, went 34-19-13-32 for UConn in the year prior to his draft. I also find compete to be largely part of a hockey players DNA. Pace, I agree, can be improved.

The good news is that it is just rookie camp, in the dead middle of summer, so it is far from the last word. I just think that if Letourneau is going to be a top 6 player in the NHL, she should be at or near ppg for BC this fall.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I think going to BC might actually be better than USHL. At the USHL level there is a bigger possibility that he will be able to rely on his skill and size without having to develop a motor. At the NCAA level however, he will have to develop a motor just to keep up.
Well, first off I hope you are right. I want him to succeed and he could be something special.

That said, IMO the USHL is about 3 tiers above prep school hockey. I feel like that's a big enough leap let alone straight to BC. I hope it works out but I talked to a former poster who was highly respected here and by the Bruins and now works in the USHL (don't know if he'd want me mentioning his name or not so I'll keep that to myself but all the old school HF'ers know who I'm talking about) and he was talking to me about Nelson and the picture he painted sounded like a cautionary tale for Letourneau. He said Nelson was big and really skilled as a u18 but he left the USHL to play college at 19 and everyone felt, at the time, that he should have stayed for one more year because he wasn't quite ready when he left. So he gets to school and it's a lot. It took him three years to adjust.

So in my mind you have that example and then you have Lohrei who took the slow and steady approach and it makes me wish Letourneau would take it slow.

Yeah, I would say he looks a little thicker. He definitely is fully engaged in the board battles.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
If Letourneau scores 7 points in NCAA in a post-draft year then he is overwhelmingly likely to be a bust. Tage Thompson, whom people want to compare him to, went 34-19-13-32 for UConn in the year prior to his draft. I also find compete to be largely part of a hockey players DNA. Pace, I agree, can be improved.

The good news is that it is just rookie camp, in the dead middle of summer, so it is far from the last word. I just think that if Letourneau is going to be a top 6 player in the NHL, she should be at or near ppg for BC this fall.
On the other hand you have Lohrei. An overage draftee, who then went to play USHL after his draft. The odds had to be pretty high that path would equal bust too.

Kevin Hayes went from prep school to BC, and only put up 14 points as a freshman, and he became a quality NHL'er. He was knocked for his pace and compete level at his draft too.

In terms of pace, as I said he beats guys and he thinks he's done so he comes out of the move gliding. When Poitras beats someone he then flashes 3 or 4 quick steps to get separation. So that's the first thing. Even just carry the puck into the Ozone uncontested (like the first drill of practice where they shoot from a distance), he crosses the blue line and glides where other guys keep pumping their feet and shoot in stride, in motion.

In terms of intensity, if a puck gets knocked off his stick he considers the drill over, while the more experience players there (including the college guys) hunt the loose puck, battle for possession and try to keep the drill going. I think that's something he can learn and will improve on. It's another level of intensity and I don't think he's been exposed to it yet. But he flashes moves, he's smooth as silk, he rips pucks.

I guess my message to fans is to be patient. Don't hit the panic button if he doesn't produce a lot next year because it's a big jump and if I were his coach the focus of his season would be on pace, intensity, building pro habits... not points.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK

How deep was that UConn team Thompson played for? I'm guessing he got top line, PP1 minutes right from the get go. Is it even a given that Letourneau gets top 6 minutes at BC this year?

Regardless, not every player develops at the same pace. Thompson still took years to become a solid NHLer.

Your expectations need to be tempered a lot. It might not be a 7 point year, but it will be at most double that. And that's not a sign of a 100% bust either. Brian Boyle went 8 points, 27 points, 52 points his first 3 years at BC after being drafted.

Reactions: BronxBruin

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Definitely, will hop the bus from Newton Corner, what time do they start on Thursday? Will they scrimmage over two sessions?

Not sure but someone here will have the answer.

I will see how I feel tomorrow morning.

If I go, I hope to meet some of you!

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Yeah that is my position. I hope to go, but will see how I feel at 8 am.

tomorrow session is listed at 9:30. No idea as to how the scrimmage will work, etc.

Reactions: Ladyfan

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Went today

Poitras built along lines of Dale Hunter- looks solid now filled out a good amount

he was fast & slick

Bruins are big - and I would say he’s 5’10 and 190+

No longer a freshman out for varsity vibe

I been a Providence for a month but if he plays well gotta stick

Impressed

More later

I believe they will do some drills - clean ice and scrimmage

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
On the other hand you have Lohrei. An overage draftee, who then went to play USHL after his draft. The odds had to be pretty high that path would equal bust too.

Kevin Hayes went from prep school to BC, and only put up 14 points as a freshman, and he became a quality NHL'er. He was knocked for his pace and compete level at his draft too.

In terms of pace, as I said he beats guys and he thinks he's done so he comes out of the move gliding. When Poitras beats someone he then flashes 3 or 4 quick steps to get separation. So that's the first thing. Even just carry the puck into the Ozone uncontested (like the first drill of practice where they shoot from a distance), he crosses the blue line and glides where other guys keep pumping their feet and shoot in stride, in motion.

In terms of intensity, if a puck gets knocked off his stick he considers the drill over, while the more experience players there (including the college guys) hunt the loose puck, battle for possession and try to keep the drill going. I think that's something he can learn and will improve on. It's another level of intensity and I don't think he's been exposed to it yet. But he flashes moves, he's smooth as silk, he rips pucks.

I guess my message to fans is to be patient. Don't hit the panic button if he doesn't produce a lot next year because it's a big jump and if I were his coach the focus of his season would be on pace, intensity, building pro habits... not points.

This was Lohrei's line in what would have been his D+1 year if he was drafted in his first year of eligibility.

2019-20Green Bay GamblersUSHL4882937265

The USHL is a very competitive league and success translates over to NCAA very well. I estimate that if Lohrei played the 2019-2020 season at Ohio State, his stat line would have been about 0.4 ppg. That is as a defenseman. A forward equivalent should be at 0.6-0.7 ppg. This is about what Joe Colborne put up at Denver as a post-draft Freshman, and he looked extremely raw in DC.

As I said, I am not worried about Letourneau and I appreciate the scouting report, which, as always, is excellent. I just have higher expectations for what he can do at BC this year. The good news is, he has yet to play a game.

I am going to DC tomorrow so I'll have my own thoughts to post.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Groenewold someone I plan on following closely in college - he stands out all over the place -looks a level above

Duran - if he’s healthy I think he is up at some point. You watch and wonder how good is this guy going to be - visually everything shows up - he played for Nate Lehman and is schooled well

I want to watch him in preseason games at least against many nhl players

This was Lohrei's line in what would have been his D+1 year if he was drafted in his first year of eligibility.

2019-20Green Bay GamblersUSHL4882937265

The USHL is a very competitive league and success translates over to NCAA very well. I estimate that if Lohrei played the 2019-2020 season at Ohio State, his stat line would have been about 0.4 ppg. That is as a defenseman. A forward equivalent should be at 0.6-0.7 ppg. This is about what Joe Colborne put up at Denver as a post-draft Freshman, and he looked extremely raw in DC.

As I said, I am not worried about Letourneau and I appreciate the scouting report, which, as always, is excellent. I just have higher expectations for what he can do at BC this year. The good news is, he has yet to play a game.

I am going to DC tomorrow so I'll have my own thoughts to post.
I’m glad - I always look forward to your takes

hone in on their second pick as well

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
He looks same to me but I went to the two BC playoff games in April in Providence.

He’s masterful in his working areas around net - never stationery finds areas gets good positioning - puck finds him

Definitely intriguing to see how this translates as a Pro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad