Pre-Game Talk: 2024 Blues Training Camp Thread

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
ST. LOUIS – St. Louis Blues President of Hockey Operations and General Manager Doug Armstrong announced today the team has assigned forwards Zach Dean, Dalibor Dvorsky, Aleksanteri Kaskimaki, Mathias Laferriere, Mackenzie MacEachern, Hugh McGing, and Dylan Peterson, as well as defensemen Samuel Johannesson and Hunter Skinner, and goaltender Vadim Zherenko to the team’s AHL affiliate, the Springfield Thunderbirds.

The Blues will open the 2024-25 regular season on Tuesday, Oct. 8 when they visit the Seattle Kraken at 3:30 p.m. (CDT) at Climate Pledge Arena. The game will be broadcast on ESPN and 101 ESPN radio.

Last players to be put on waivers to be assigned to Springfield not yet anounced, but as he doesn't need to be waived, it seems that Bolduc made the team.

Reactions: Majorityof1

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
ST. LOUIS – St. Louis Blues President of Hockey Operations and General Manager Doug Armstrong announced today the team has assigned forwards Zach Dean, Dalibor Dvorsky, Aleksanteri Kaskimaki, Mathias Laferriere, Mackenzie MacEachern, Hugh McGing, and Dylan Peterson, as well as defensemen Samuel Johannesson and Hunter Skinner, and goaltender Vadim Zherenko to the team’s AHL affiliate, the Springfield Thunderbirds.

The Blues will open the 2024-25 regular season on Tuesday, Oct. 8 when they visit the Seattle Kraken at 3:30 p.m. (CDT) at Climate Pledge Arena. The game will be broadcast on ESPN and 101 ESPN radio.

By my math we still have cuts to make unless 3 guys are starting on IR. Underlined are most likely cuts.

Forwards (15, 1-2 cuts): Bolduc, Buchnevich, Faksa, Holloway, M. Joseph, Kapanen, Kyrou, Neighbours, Saad, Schenn, Sunqvist, Tecier, Thomas, Toropchenko, Walker

Defense (9, 1-2 cuts to make): Broberg, Faulk, PO Joseph, Kessel. Leddy, Parayko, Perunovich, Suter, Tucker

Goalies (2): Hofer, Binnington

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
There are currently 29 players on the roster, so they'll need to figure out what to do with 6 players.

Forwards (16): Zack Bolduc (76), Pavel Buchnevich (89), Radek Faksa (12), Dylan Holloway (81), Mathieu Joseph (71), Kasperi Kapanen (42), Jordan Kyrou (25), Jake Neighbours (63), Simon Robertsson (80), Brandon Saad (20), Brayden Schenn (10), Oskar Sundqvist (70), Alexandre Texier (9), Robert Thomas (18), Alexey Toropchenko (13), Nathan Walker (26).

Defense (11): Philip Broberg (6), Justin Faulk (72), Adam Jiricek (37), Pierre-Olivier Joseph (77), Matthew Kessel (51), Nick Leddy (4), Colton Parayko (55), Scott Perunovich (48), Corey Schueneman (64), Ryan Suter (22), Tyler Tucker (75).

Goaltenders (2): Jordan Binnington (50), Joel Hofer (30).

My guess as to who's not making the trip:
Robertsson (IR)
Saad (Non-Roster, baby duty)
Sundqvist (IR)
Jiricek (IR or Juniors)
Schueneman (Waived)
Tucker (Waived)

Once Saad returns and Sundvist is ready, then you'll have a couple decisions to make.

Last edited:
Reactions: Majorityof1

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
There are currently 29 players on the roster, so they'll need to figure out what to do with 6 players.

Forwards (16): Zack Bolduc (76), Pavel Buchnevich (89), Radek Faksa (12), Dylan Holloway (81), Mathieu Joseph (71), Kasperi Kapanen (42), Jordan Kyrou (25), Jake Neighbours (63), Simon Robertsson (80), Brandon Saad (20), Brayden Schenn (10), Oskar Sundqvist (70), Alexandre Texier (9), Robert Thomas (18), Alexey Toropchenko (13), Nathan Walker (26).

Defense (11): Philip Broberg (6), Justin Faulk (72), Adam Jiricek (37), Pierre-Olivier Joseph (77), Matthew Kessel (51), Nick Leddy (4), Colton Parayko (55), Scott Perunovich (48), Corey Schueneman (64), Ryan Suter (22), Tyler Tucker (75).

Goaltenders (2): Jordan Binnington (50), Joel Hofer (30).

My guess as to who's not making the trip:
Robertsson (IR)
Saad (Non-Roster, baby duty)
Sundqvist (IR)
Jiricek (IR or Juniors)
Schueneman (Waived)
Tucker (Waived)

Once Saad returns and Sundvist is ready, then you'll have a couple decisions to make.

My bad. The Blues's site is out of date. Thank you for the corrected list. Jiricek will be sent down when healthy, Schuemen and Tucker were both waived today. Army said Sunqvist will be ready for game 1, but they might keep him on IR longer.

I think Saad counts against the roster. Its not an injury. The NHL does not have paternity leave. Teams can offer the game off, but there is no rule to my knowledge givng you cap or roster relief. He counts against the cap and roster limit, as far as I know.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
My bad. The Blues's site is out of date. Thank you for the corrected list. Jiricek will be sent down when healthy, Schuemen and Tucker were both waived today. Army said Sunqvist will be ready for game 1, but they might keep him on IR longer.

I think Saad counts against the roster. Its not an injury. The NHL does not have paternity leave. Teams can offer the game off, but there is no rule to my knowledge givng you cap or roster relief. He counts against the cap and roster limit, as far as I know.
I believe this is the current rule according to the CBA:

16.12 Non-Roster Player.

(a) Upon approval of the Commissioner, a Player who is unavailable to play due to reasons other than injury, illness or disability (e.g., birth of a child, attending a funeral) will be designated a Non-Roster Player, and during such period of his designation as such he will not count against the Club's Active Roster limit and his Club may replace such Player, provided, however, that the Non-Roster Player's Player Salary and Bonuses and his replacement's Player Salary and Bonuses are each included in calculating a Club's Actual Club Salary and Averaged Club Salary, and the Players' Share, for purposes of Article 50.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I believe this is the current rule according to the CBA:

16.12 Non-Roster Player.

(a) Upon approval of the Commissioner, a Player who is unavailable to play due to reasons other than injury, illness or disability (e.g., birth of a child, attending a funeral) will be designated a Non-Roster Player, and during such period of his designation as such he will not count against the Club's Active Roster limit and his Club may replace such Player, provided, however, that the Non-Roster Player's Player Salary and Bonuses and his replacement's Player Salary and Bonuses are each included in calculating a Club's Actual Club Salary and Averaged Club Salary, and the Players' Share, for purposes of Article 50.

Thank you again!!! That does ease the burden a bit, at least for a game or two to give another guy (Bolduc) a look in a real game against real pros.

Reactions: Snubbed4Vezina

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
I am really glad that it looks like Bolduc made it at least for a couple games to start the season. I think he earned it. Tucker is not a surprise. Bolduc, Peru, Kap, Walker seem like they are in jeopardy when Saad and Sunny are ready. Hoping Bolduc impresses in any opportunity he gets early.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Tucker simply doesn't have the footspeed for the NHL. It's unfortunate, but he was also a late round pick for a reason.
Hopefully some team claims him, so we don't have to hear about how gritty and mean he is after every whistle when he's really just taking unnecessary and costly penalties.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Pardon my ignorance, but who is this Schuemen guy? I don’t remember seeing his name before today.

Corey Shchueman. Career AHLer we signed for depth this off-season. He had a few games for Montreal past couple years as an injury fill-in but didn't really move the needle as a pro, I believe he was undrafted and Montreal signed him out of college at Western Michigan.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad