GDT: 2024 Blues Draft Day Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
For our resident actuaries, I think maybe Armstrong is mis-using the term here...I'll take your word for it. But the point he's making is still pertinent. They're using projections of how many NHL games played and how far into the future these drafted players are likely to be NHL players. That's what I take away from those comments. He's talking about building a team with projecting into the future when the young players will contribute, and the value of a particular draft pick.

(That conversation makes paying a 2nd to part with Hayes more maddening, but it also speaks to how much they wanted to part with Hayes.)
I think there’s something behind the scenes with Hayes. I have no doubt he’s a good guy, so no character concerns, but we all heard about the Cutter rumors in Philly. The trade to save dollars, as DA put it, doesn’t make sense otherwise unless DA is operating I under an internal budget, which is very possible. But to me it seems like this was a trade to get rid of the player at all costs, and the cost was steep.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
For our resident actuaries, I think maybe Armstrong is mis-using the term here...I'll take your word for it. But the point he's making is still pertinent. They're using projections of how many NHL games played and how far into the future these drafted players are likely to be NHL players. That's what I take away from those comments. He's talking about building a team with projecting into the future when the young players will contribute, and the value of a particular draft pick.

(That conversation makes paying a 2nd to part with Hayes more maddening, but it also speaks to how much they wanted to part with Hayes.)

I feel like GMs have an internal value in terms of how much money a draft pick is work (perhaps the "actuary table" he likes to speak of), and I bet a second round pick in as vacuum is worth less than $6 million. That's the only reason I can think of that they'd do this. It sucks losing a second for nothing but it's more about fixing the previous mistake of trading for him in the first place.

I think there’s something behind the scenes with Hayes. I have no doubt he’s a good guy, so no character concerns, but we all heard about the Cutter rumors in Philly. The trade to save dollars, as DA put it, doesn’t make sense otherwise unless DA is operating I under an internal budget, which is very possible. But to me it seems like this was a trade to get rid of the player at all costs, and the cost was steep.

It's interesting that literally everyone talks about Hayes as if he's the greatest guy ever, even Torts, who clearly wasn't a fan of Hayes on the ice. Maybe the issue is that he's too laid back and is more interested in post game beers than working hard in practice.

Last edited:

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
1719777599971.png

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
I’m out of town this year and won’t make it. Like seeing Koromyslov on this list.

He hasn't signed a new contract in Russia yet for next season, so I wonder what will happen with him. Hope the Blues could 'nudge' him towards a team in Finland or Sweden or at least somewhere that isn't Russia.

Also had hoped to see Vorobyev, but then again: he wasn't on last seasons roster too and showed up anyway.

Reactions: Blueston

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I think most people here place to much value on draft picks. Draft picks are used to better your team so if that means using one to get rid of someone that's hurting your team then you do so.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
I think most people here place to much value on draft picks. Draft picks are used to better your team so if that means using one to get rid of someone that's hurting your team then you do so.
Agree with the sentiment. Just seems like the timing is bad. Hayes wasn't blocking someone and his cap isnt likely going to be better reallocated as if we were a contending team. I think that's the issue most people have. Not clutching our pearls over the fact that we traded a draft pick. I'd trade away every pick every year if the deal made sense.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I read on one scouting report that Ralph was 6’5. Also heard a scout say he wouldn’t be surprised if Fischer ends up 6’5. I have a good feeling these 2 are going to be good.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I read on one scouting report that Ralph was 6’5. Also heard a scout say he wouldn’t be surprised if Fischer ends up 6’5. I have a good feeling these 2 are going to be good.
Is that why Logan Stanley and Logan Brown are good? oh. wait. Judging whether someone will be good or not just because they are tall is Silly. I want them to be good, and their height will be an asset, but there is way more that goes into being a good NHL player.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Is that why Logan Stanley and Logan Brown are good? oh. wait. Judging whether someone will be good or not just because they are tall is Silly. I want them to be good, and their height will be an asset, but there is way more that goes into being a good NHL player.

We wanted size, we got it. But the difference is, these 2 can play.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Might have another Gudbranson / Hamilton type of 6’5 dman back there in a few years with those two.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Those were the comps from a scout on Ralph and Fischer.
If Fischer can be even 60% of Hamilton then it's a win. Not enthused about the Gudbranson comp, but Ralph can skate and if he can defend at a slightly above level and is nasty, then I'm perfectly fine with that.

Reactions: Mike Liut
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad