GDT: 2024 Blues Draft Day Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018
Overall thoughts on draft for us, Draft wise I give us a B. I'm pretty happy with the players we drafted.

Overall counting trades in too: C. Texier was a great trade. Hayes trade wasn't good. Too much to get rid of him IMO.

I get why they did it. But still abit much.

Be curious to see what we do with roughly about 13.5 to 14 mill left (This is counting Dvorsky, Kessel, & Bolduc on NHL roster)

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
people keep complaining the the Blues didn’t move up for Dickinson or Buium, how does anyone here know the Blues had them rated higher than Jiricek?
if not for the knee would they have been rated higher by the talking head class?
I think people are extrapolating Strickland’s post about Army talking to Briere when Philly was on the clock and assuming it was us attempting to move up for Buium before Minny jumped in to trade with Philly

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
This could be the greatest draft in Blues history, or the worst. No sense worrying about it. Wont know for 3-4 years how it went.
This comment reminds me of The Magnificent Seven.

“That’s the greatest shot I’ve ever seen!”

“The worst. I was aiming for the horse.”

I think people are extrapolating Strickland’s post about Army talking to Briere when Philly was on the clock and assuming it was us attempting to move up for Buium before Minny jumped in to trade with Philly
I wonder if there is some professional courtesy about the potential for a Hayes buyout which would have negatively impacted the Flyers too. Is there anything to negotiate around that?

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
except it could have been to take Jett or Helenius or MBN or it could have been about dinner plans

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
except it could have been to take Jett or Helenius or MBN or it could have been about dinner plans
I think minni trading a third to move up a grand total of 1 spot to pick the guy they were already going to take implies they did it to stop a different team. Once they started bidding against us though, I doubt the price was something we wanted to pay. We could all be sitting here talking about what an idiot Army was to trade X to move up just 5 spots.

Reactions: Reality Czech

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
He didn’t have to say anything. How would the Edmonton front office present this trade?
Huh? Yes he does have to say something. The Blues just traded a decent asset to remove a guy that Armstrong brought in 12 months ago. You think he can just ghost the media and not say anything about it? Not sure what world you’re living in, but the praise of how “honest” Armstrong is is funny to read.

Reactions: Ranksu

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Just some quick thoughts after letting this draft sit for a bit. I am only going to do the first 3 rounds, as I feel like anything after that becomes more of a crapshoot. The top 100 you can find a lot of scouting reports and maybe even video on. You might see them at Worlds or World Jrs. Once you get out of that top 100 it becomes much harder to find valuable info.

#16: Adam Jiricek: I was happier than most with this pick when we made it and the more I think about it the more I like it. We desperately needed a RHD with top pairing upside and with Jiricek we got that, yes their are concerns about his injuries but as I have stated before I trust the Blues medical staff. Looking back the only player I would have considered taking over Jiricek here would have been Solberg who has the safer floor but not as high of a ceiling.

#48: Colin Ralph: My initial reaction to this was, "Who?" As someone who did quite a bit of research on this draft Ralph was not on my radar at all especially in the 2nd round. Given how many quality defenseman were still available early in the round I was hoping one of Elick, Badinka, Freij, Kleber or Brunicke were going to fall to us but that didn't happen. After getting a little more info I am getting a little more comfortable with the pick and I see middle pairing Joel Edmundson esq potential there. Despite that I feel like Pulkkinen or Wallenius might have been the better pick here but only time will tell.

#56: Lukas Fischer: Right before this pick was made I said out loud, "give me Lukas Fischer," and then we drafted him. Given who was left got exactly who I wanted at this spot. This kid is a stay at home minute eater, serious Bouwmeester vibes. He is also one of the younger players in the draft, born a few months later he may have been a late 1st rounder next year.

#81: Ondrej Kos: Not necessarily the guy I would have taken here. Hell I could make an argument that our later 3rd pick and this one could be swapped. Kos to me seems like player with a high floor but limited ceiling. To me his development track leads to a long term replacement to someone like Sunny. His game has many of the same qualities, relentless on pucks, defensively responsible, limited offensive capabilities. Long term project, its a maybe.

#95: Adam Jecho: Given where we got him this was one hell of pick. I had him projected to go mid 2nd round. Blues need to pair him with skating coach and we could find ourselves with a 3rd line possession monster in a few year. Very raw but for a late 3rd round pick this was a homerun, looking over the rest of the picks in the 3rd I don't think there is single player I would have taken over him, including our earlier 3rd. Tons of potential.

Overall I give the Blues draft a B. I really wish we could we could have maybe moved up from 48 into the earlier part of the 2nd round and grabbed a Freij, Elick or Kleber but maybe nobody was willing to move down.

Also I will say the Hayes trade kind of put a wet blanket over the top of day 2. It sucked but I am excited to see what the Blues do with this capspace. Also keep in mind that if we have another middling year or worse we are likely to sell at the deadline adding more picks making the loss of the 2nd a little more palatable.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I didn’t have Jiricek on the radar because of the injury and didn’t think the Blues would take on the risk, so I didn’t watch much highlights of him. But, after watching some and listening to scouts review his game, I can definitively see why we took him. He has all the tools you look for. Once he matures, fills out, gains strength, he could be a special player. He just oozes talent when you watch him skate with the puck. His defensive game is really good too. He’s a legitimate 2 way player. I now love this pick.

High n Wide

Feb 24, 2015
St. Louis
Also I will say the Hayes trade kind of put a wet blanket over the top of day 2. It sucked but I am excited to see what the Blues do with this capspace. Also keep in mind that if we have another middling year or worse we are likely to sell at the deadline adding more picks making the loss of the 2nd a little more palatable.
The flip side to that, of course, is that that means that the 2nd rounder we sent to Pittburgh is a better pick. Army has now created a situation where the worse we do next season, the worse this trade is for us. I mean to an extent that's always true, but given the state of the franchise it should be expected (intended?) for us to be nearer the bottom of the standings, so it's more of a concern moving those picks.

I don't know that I have anything to add to the Hayes trade that hasn't already been said, but just to echo, I don't understand the move. I don't see any reason we can't have ridden out the contract regardless of if it was a bad fit or not. I especially don't understand the urgency to move him out now after the Walman trade set the precedent for the offseason. I'd guess the move was made now before teams start spending money on UFAs, but I just don't see how the move was seen as so important that that would have an impact. It opens up money for us heading into UFA season, but I don't see anybody who I think we should be committing a UFA contract to, so that isn't exactly a re-assuring thought.

Reactions: Celtic Note

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
And while some of the worst picks can be the "who the f*** is that guy", those are also sometimes your best picks. Picks like Oshie and Parayko come to mind as guys that were drafted much earlier than would have been expected.
Wings were laughed at quite a bit for the Mo Seider pick in 2019 as well. There are lots of examples of it both ways. We'll have to wait and see. I don't love the first two rounds, but am intrigued by the guys taken later. We'll see. Nobody knows yet, especially with our premium picks being spent on Dmen. We won't really have a clue for several seasons unless someone just starts lighting it up(or failing miserably, I suppose.)

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Didn't follow this draft class, wouldn't matter anyway because what the heck do I know about scouting 18 year old kid hockey players.

But love this draft class. Lots of size, stay at home D-men and huge potential with the forwards.

Let's Go Blues!

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I appreciate the honest response instead of blathering and pretending it was all part of a master plan.

Maybe they can use the cap space in free agency in a way that takes the sting away a bit.

It's kind of amusing to see fans up in arms about this trade. Saving $6 million on a useless player probably means a lot to ownership even if fans don't like it. Then again, it's not not their money so it's easy to say they should have just kept him. Maybe they'll use the cap space, maybe they won't but $6 million isn't insignificant.

No doubt, it was a mistake to trade for Hayes in the first place but I don't blame them for cutting ties rather than having him hang around doing nothing for two more years.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
It's kind of amusing to see fans up in arms about this trade. Saving $6 million on a useless player probably means a lot to ownership even if fans don't like it. Then again, it's not not their money so it's easy to say they should have just kept him. Maybe they'll use the cap space, maybe they won't but $6 million isn't insignificant.

No doubt, it was a mistake to trade for Hayes in the first place but I don't blame them for cutting ties rather than having him hang around doing nothing for two more years.
They should've just scrapped the trade after Krug nixed his no trade in the bigger deal.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I loved Armstrong talking about the actuarial tables again. It makes me laugh every time because I know it will piss off someone to no end.
For our resident actuaries, I think maybe Armstrong is mis-using the term here...I'll take your word for it. But the point he's making is still pertinent. They're using projections of how many NHL games played and how far into the future these drafted players are likely to be NHL players. That's what I take away from those comments. He's talking about building a team with projecting into the future when the young players will contribute, and the value of a particular draft pick.

(That conversation makes paying a 2nd to part with Hayes more maddening, but it also speaks to how much they wanted to part with Hayes.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad