GDT: 2024 Blues Draft Day Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Never heard of Dorion, but from the looks of his team’s stats he played on an awful squad.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
But is he a decent prospect though? ;)

I wasn't expecting him to get drafted TBH. He's a long shot. He didn't have a good season but it was his first year in the QMJHL. I think he's considered like a late bloomer. He was on OHL territory but went undrafted. He had a stellar season in Junior A and then got offers from multiple CHL teams last year. Quebec didn't have much talent to play with.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Christian Humphreys to COL with pick 215 seems like insane value. Had him pegged in the 3rd.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Write up on Korotky from Black book

One of the latest 2005 births in the draft class, Korotky flies under the radar among Russian forwards in the 2024 NHL Draft. Putting up 38 points and 20 goals for SKA-1946 St. Petersburg in 51 MHL games this year and 14 points in 18 playoff games, Korotky provides a steady presence down the middle in either a scoring, power or shutdown role due to his versatility.

Although he seems to be top heavy at this time in his development, Korotky skates well and has a good stride and overall mobility that will only get better as he fills out more. He does not possess top level speed, but he is able to handle the puck well at his top speed and takes passes well in stride up the ice. Although more of a playmaker than a shooter, Korotky has a good shot with some power he will just need to work on his accuracy to improve his shot further. Korotky plays the offensive zone up the middle, in front of the net and down low which is where he is most comfortable and where he can create the most opportunities offensively. He is not a primary puck carrier into the zone, but he is good as a complimentary option on the rush and in the slot. He does bunch up with teammates at time and needs to work on being more consistent in puck battles, especially since he projects to be a power center at the NHL level.

In the defensive zone is where he is at his best, Korotky is typically the first man back and last to leave the defensive zone. He jumps on loose pucks defensively but needs to be more consistent in getting them out of his zone. He can do this by using his wingers more instead of trying to do it all himself. A very reliable defensive center, Korotky is good in his positioning off puck and clogs lanes not only in his own zone but on the backcheck as well. He is often blocking shots and getting himself and his stick into lanes to take away space from opposing forwards both five on five and on the penalty kill where he also shows his hustle.

Physically, Korotky will need to be more consistent as he is not the best in puck battles despite his size. He battles hard but he needs to show some more snarl and use his frame better by planting his feet more and gaining more lower body strength instead of trying to rely on his stick to win the battle. He does use his weight in body contact, although we would like to see him ramp it up physically at times and he likes to finish his checks high in the offensive zone and the neutral zone on the backcheck.

Korotky is a reliable center who is strong in all three zones and good on the draw with quick hands. We would like to see him progress more offensively next season with a power center style of play and get some more consistent time on the power play playing as a bumper as opposed to high on the outside.

Happy for Pahlsson as he FINALLY got drafted. He played extremely well alongside Pekarcik.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
From JR:

Army on Hayes: "When I evaluated the year and where we are going forward, it didn't seem to be a proper fit for either side. I just felt, give him an opportunity and free up not cap space as much as it is a real dollar value. I felt for Kevin and us it was the right thing to do. This is just a situation where it wasn't working. I made a decision a year ago that I thought it could work for 3 years and as the year progressed it didn't look like it was working for either side. But when you put it down on paper, it wasn't a shining moment for myself."

Can't really argue, but that's some pretty harsh self-criticism from Army.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
From JR:

Army on Hayes: "When I evaluated the year and where we are going forward, it didn't seem to be a proper fit for either side. I just felt, give him an opportunity and free up not cap space as much as it is a real dollar value. I felt for Kevin and us it was the right thing to do. This is just a situation where it wasn't working. I made a decision a year ago that I thought it could work for 3 years and as the year progressed it didn't look like it was working for either side. But when you put it down on paper, it wasn't a shining moment for myself."

At least he's willing to admit the mistake of bringing Hayes, but he's compounded the problem further paying a heavy price to give Hayes away.

Last edited:

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
That’s disappointing - you don’t compound the mistake by paying a valuable asset. It doesn’t sound like we’ll be using the new cap space, which I figured anyway.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
Free up real dollar value? What does that even mean…he’s really not making THAT much and his position will have to be filled by another body. I hate his game but by all accounts was liked in the room. Certainly not someone that HAD to be jettisoned. Ya, you definitely haven’t had many shining moments lately, Champ.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
I am sick over this draft. The fact that we couldn't get anything done pre-draft with Buffalo (A bunch of fans seemed pretty onboard with Buch for 11th overall) or with Philly once Buium fell, only to watch a division rival scoop a guy who could legit become a top pair, if not #1 d-man, really sucked. Jiricek is probably fine, but he's not exciting to me right now compared to having either Dickinson or Buium. I honestly would have rather traded back for an additional 2nd and taken Hage or Solberg, or Jiricek later if he was still there. Jiricek felt like a reach at 16.

The second and third rounders all seemed fine, whatever. But then the 2nd!!! to package Kevin f***ing Hayes to Pitt? Like wtf? We paid a 2nd and a 6th for one year of Kevin f***ing Hayes. Simply in-ex-f***ing-scusable asset management from Army there. I mean f***ing waive the dude and stick him in the f***ing minors FFS. And now we have another hole down the middle to fill, Dvo isn't ready and Dean shouldn't get rushed either. NOT GREAT BOB!

I have often felt that Army gets a lot more flack then he deserves, but man it's tough to defend him after this weekend/season. This whole f***ing season has been a pretty massive dissapointment. Not moving Buch for future assets at the TDL or the draft sucks. I will f***ing riot if we sign him to an extention, he doesn't fit our timeline at all. Not moving up to snag Buium when he dropped sucks. Reaching for Jiricek sucks. But the f***ing cherry on the shit ass sundae is dropping a f***ing 2nd to jettision Hayes. AND KRUG IS STILL HERE AHHHHHHH I NEED A WELLNESS CHECK.....ok kidding but MAN am I grumpy.

LetsGoBooze

Let the re-tool breathe
Jan 16, 2012
Not very happy with the draft or (especially) the Hayes trade, Jecho aside.
Agreed, middle of the pack team, making moves to stay middle of the pack. Don't hate the picks, but we need more elite talent in a bad way. I give the draft a B, but we really needed a similar draft to last year to continue this re-tooling on the fly. Dickinson was the move, and by all means woulda helped being a big part of the turn around. Our roster just got a year older, and we didn't add any elite pieces. Disappointing.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
From JR:

I respect Army wanting to put guys in a position to succeed. But paying a 2nd to do so? Would nobody take him if we retained another 50% and added a 4th instead? At this point the 2nd is worth so much more than $1.8M over two years.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I am sick over this draft. The fact that we couldn't get anything done pre-draft with Buffalo (A bunch of fans seemed pretty onboard with Buch for 11th overall) or with Philly once Buium fell, only to watch a division rival scoop a guy who could legit become a top pair, if not #1 d-man, really sucked. Jiricek is probably fine, but he's not exciting to me right now compared to having either Dickinson or Buium. I honestly would have rather traded back for an additional 2nd and taken Hage or Solberg, or Jiricek later if he was still there. Jiricek felt like a reach at 16.

The second and third rounders all seemed fine, whatever. But then the 2nd!!! to package Kevin f***ing Hayes to Pitt? Like wtf? We paid a 2nd and a 6th for one year of Kevin f***ing Hayes. Simply in-ex-f***ing-scusable asset management from Army there. I mean f***ing waive the dude and stick him in the f***ing minors FFS. And now we have another hole down the middle to fill, Dvo isn't ready and Dean shouldn't get rushed either. NOT GREAT BOB!

I have often felt that Army gets a lot more flack then he deserves, but man it's tough to defend him after this weekend/season. This whole f***ing season has been a pretty massive dissapointment. Not moving Buch for future assets at the TDL or the draft sucks. I will f***ing riot if we sign him to an extention, he doesn't fit our timeline at all. Not moving up to snag Buium when he dropped sucks. Reaching for Jiricek sucks. But the f***ing cherry on the shit ass sundae is dropping a f***ing 2nd to jettision Hayes. AND KRUG IS STILL HERE AHHHHHHH I NEED A WELLNESS CHECK.....ok kidding but MAN am I grumpy.
giphy.gif

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
I also agree.. I like some of the picks, but I had hoped for a better result. Jiricek is fine, although there is a smidge of disappointment after not being able to move up for Buium. Ralph and Fischer seem like nice picks in the 3rd round. Kos is meh. The Jecho pick is awesome (why the hell would you pick Kos ahead of Jecho?!) and I can get behing Mrsic and McIsaac. Don't know enough of the prospects to have an opinion of our seventh-rounders.

The Hayes trade made me throw up in my mouth.

Really love Carolina's picks though, with the exception of Poirier. Usually the 'winner' of the draft are teams that are able to unexpectedly pick a really good player in the first round (SJ - Dickinson, MIN - Buium), however CAR, without a 1st rounder, seems to have absolutely smashed this draft with value in every pick (again, with the exception of Poirier, which I'm not a fan of).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad