GDT: 2024 Blues Draft Day Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

RORbacon

May 14, 2014
Central Illinois
This is honestly the first trade since Oshie that i legit hate. Sucks. He just preached ASSET ACCUMULATION.
It really stinks and to me highlights a bad vision and assessment by the front office. With our current roster construction (and prospect pipeline) they are valuing a couple million in cap space over a 2nd. A 2nd that very likely may fall in the 35-45 range. It’s hard for me to fathom any additional move that makes this trade acceptable. We already had a reasonable amount of space.

Get a young player that fits our age group? Those players usually don’t require a ton of cap space and we just gave up a substantial asset that could be used to obtain a player like that…

It smells like an over-aged and likely over-paid free agent is on the way.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Adam Jecho... the first pick this draft I'm really happy with relative to where we pick him.

Rest has been quite dissapointing IMO.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
It really stinks and to me highlights a bad vision and assessment by the front office. With our current roster construction (and prospect pipeline) they are valuing a couple million in cap space over a 2nd. A 2nd that very likely may fall in the 35-45 range. It’s hard for me to fathom any additional move that makes this trade acceptable. We already had a reasonable amount of space.

Get a young player that fits our age group? Those players usually don’t require a ton of cap space and we just gave up a substantial asset that could be used to obtain a player like that…

It smells like an over-aged and likely over-paid free agent is on the way.

I would be ok if the result was the Blues signing Chandler Stephenson.

At any rate though. Why not just use Hayes as a 4th liner or extra forward. There’s no way we’re going to spend all the access cap we have

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I really don’t get or like attaching a second to Hayes. We shouldnt have traded for him in the first place. We didn’t need to try for the playoffs this past year. It was rushed and shortsighted. We would have benefited from a higher draft selection in this draft.

We shouldn’t be wasting assets on vets we don’t need and we absolutely shouldn’t be attaching assets to move them out. We need every pick we can get to either try and draft talent or use it to trade for young talent.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I really don’t get or like attaching a second to Hayes. We shouldnt have traded for him in the first place. We didn’t need to try for the playoffs this past year. It was rushed and shortsighted. We would have benefited from a higher draft selection in this draft.

We shouldn’t be wasting assets on vets we don’t need and we absolutely shouldn’t be attaching assets to move them out. We need every pick we can get to either try and draft talent or use it to trade for young talent.
At this point my hope is we are taking on a LARGER cap dump for an even higher pick.

LetsGoBooze

Dickinson was in range...
Jan 16, 2012
I like our draft for staying put with every pick, the rest from here on out are even bigger dart throws. I'll give us a B with picks that definitely emphasized team needs. Hopefully one of these 2nd round Dmen end up 2nd pairing quality. And i like the upside of these two forwards in the 3rd. Solid B grade on picks alone.

Reactions: OSA and mk80

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
At this point my hope is we are taking on a LARGER cap dump for an even higher pick.
I was just about to revise my post to say that the only way this makes sense is if we gain a higher pick for a short term cap dump or if the PIT IOU turns into a young guy better than we could get for our second next year.

I am not holding my breath for either of those to happen.

Reactions: mk80

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I was just about to revise my post to say that the only way this makes sense is if we gain a higher pick for a short term cap dump or if the PIT IOU turns into a young guy better than we could get for our second next year.

I am not holding my breath for either of those to happen.
Yep, me neither. Sigh.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012

It makes so little sense, but then I think of the Wings attaching a 2nd to get rid of Walman(a much better player who is younger and makes less money) and I just shake my head and resign myself to the fact that I will never understand why GMs do the things they do.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Screen Shot 2024-06-29 at 12.22.51 PM.png

Looks a lot like the last guy we took from the Oil Kings

Ad

Upcoming events

• Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $175.00
    Event closes