We have a GM problem

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is KD right man for the job

• Yes he is doing great job

Votes: 27 27.8%
  • Meh lets wait and see

Votes: 45 46.4%
  • I am starting to be alarmed

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • fire this dipshit into the sun

Votes: 9 9.3%

• Total voters

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
After taking Lev I was hoping we'd hit our # for one more top draft pick next year.

But now we have a bunch of people who don't suck at matchups and a backup. Soda was always a lock for an L when you needed it.

Gonna be an interesting year.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
After taking Lev I was hoping we'd hit our # for one more top draft pick next year.

But now we have a bunch of people who don't suck at matchups and a backup. Soda was always a lock for an L when you needed it.

Gonna be an interesting year.
Brossoit could boost the Hawks by 20 points alone by just giving the Hawks a chance in backup starts compared to Soderblom.

The key to me is Mrazek. He was great last year, but I can't be confident that he'll be able to replicate that performance for 2024-25. I will say that I'm excited to have a legit NHL team on the ice compared to last year. Hoping that the kids are put in a situation where they don't have to be the difference makers themselves and will continue to develop.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
As critical as I was with the draft, I'd like to call it as I see it the free agency period has been very good. Fair play Kyle more of this please.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Brossoit could boost the Hawks by 20 points alone by just giving the Hawks a chance in backup starts compared to Soderblom.

The key to me is Mrazek. He was great last year, but I can't be confident that he'll be able to replicate that performance for 2024-25. I will say that I'm excited to have a legit NHL team on the ice compared to last year. Hoping that the kids are put in a situation where they don't have to be the difference makers themselves and will continue to develop.
Soderblom is waiver exempt so he should never see the United Centre ice again…

Mrazek-Brossoit combo for two seasons

Commesso going the Crawford route

Commesso-Gajan combo for the future

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Shoulda signed TT and also Kane as I am not sure what his hate for Kane is, the other signings are meh stupid fillers, Bertuzzi is too long for 4 years.

2024CubsAreReallyBad

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Kmart Kyle got Bert and TT, good job.

The rest was found on either Wish or Temu.

Kmart Kyle let's go of a bunch of plugs then forgets he needs a plug quota and fills in the missing holes.

Hawks go from a last place team to a last place team with less cap space.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Shoulda signed TT and also Kane as I am not sure what his hate for Kane is, the other signings are meh stupid fillers, Bertuzzi is too long for 4 years.
I didn't know it was 4 yrs. I agree, it's too long.

Bertuzzi is a guy with a lot of spirit but he doesn't have the physical stature to play like he wants to.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Pleasantly surprised.

The knocks are they're old and slow and won't play the way they need to in order to win with this roster. No coaching changes.

But I think the positives greatly outweigh the knocks this summer.
  • KD stopped the ridiculous number of picks choosing to focus on getting them right instead of flinging stuff to the wall like drafting 22 times in 2 years.
  • The age and significant injury risk offsets the risk of clogging or blocking NHL toi.
  • The roster can ice a real NHL lineup
  • They will have real NHL practices most of the year
  • I think he gave up on most of the depth prospects because they don't matter when the team matters
  • The roster can still tank hard for 2 years to get some more high end talent.
  • The prospects that matter have a chance to get better, in positions they're supposed to play in this year unlike last.
  • The Bert and TT contracts are good
  • Players with tangibles instead of intangibles have a bigger role
There was probably some overreaction to buy depth buy depth, but that's necessary if he wasn't going to get younger healthy help.

I don't trust him yet but he proved to me he learns, and since Danny is probably sticking with him for a long time no matter what, that's a good sign too.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I haven't followed this thread and the comments but I came here to hear people's thoughts on our GM giving up a draft pick only to choose a player who was arguably rated worse than 18 (20 something on most scouts list).. It was nonsensical then and remains so, IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
pretty sure he wanted to move up further and it gives them a better chance. Maybe they knew 18 was their cutoff and they knew they'd get one of their guys for sure.

I rather have them getting the guy they want and give up a pick we don't really need that much right now.
Just prepare for the same trades next Draft. That TOR 1st won't end up as our pick as I think they use it to move up with it again.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Tough to say if it was a move up for picks to get Demidov (good idea, crappy execution imo) or if they were targeting a player or if they just wanted to be 2 spots higher. The timing with NYI was still questionable to me since nothing else happened.

Not a fan of the asset management on the last 2 1/2 years as things may not have been smartest by focusing on so many picks and unproven staff, but that's past. I like how things are trending now.
It was difficult to build a roster like he has, one that can play NHL hockey, not block kids, and not put the franchise in a corner, because he executed that so well (on paper at least) I'll give him some slack for all the pick stuff. The player part is harder than selling or trading for a pick 4 drafts out.

Also, based on Danny's comments, Danny is giving KD blind faith and seemingly endless time as gm, the big moves now that accelerate KD's learning curve, even if they fail, are welcome.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Time will tell with the draft picks, regardless I appreciate him trying to be aggressive and making moves happen. Last winter I was saying how going into this upcoming season with an AHL-level roster would be unacceptable so I'm happy to see he's been aggressive there as well adding NHL veteran depth throughout the lineup.

He's doing just fine in my book. Specifically with contracts I think he's done a great job so far. 4 years from now we'll have all of these contracts off the books except Jones and we'll have arrived with a lot of these prospects for better or worse as well. Still have tons of flexibility and I think that's the most important thing.

Reactions: hockeydoug

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
Knowing what I know now about Vanacker, the trade up was probably necessary but I think they probably could have gotten Boisvert at 20.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad