Prospect Info: 2024 August - Who is Detroit's #10 prospect?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who is Detroit's #10 prospect?

• LW - Elmer Söderblom

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • C/LW Max Plante

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • C - Amadeus Lombardi

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • C - Ondrej Becher

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RW - Dmitri Buchelnikov

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • RW - Jesse Kiiskinen

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • D - Shai Buium

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • RD - Antti Tuomisto

• RD - Anton Johansson

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • G - Carter Gylander

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I thought he was a first round talent in his draft year. My only concern with him is he might not provide as much offense as I previously thought. I think he absolutely can still carve out a middle pair role and be a guy who logs a pretty decent amount of minutes.

Having a ++ size/skating combo is pretty big in today's game. And sometimes those guys just take a bit longer to figure it out. Like we saw Broberg turn it up in the playoffs last year, finally.
Bret Hedican is someone that comes to mind for me when it comes to Wallinder. A 20-30pt dman who provides good value and competence over 200ft, but nothing spectacular. Good size and skating opens so many doors in terms of a player carving out a role for himself in the league, so that's a huge advantage for him. I think his odds of becoming a top pair dman are dimming quite a bit, but unless his hockey IQ is just zilch then a middle-pair minute-muncher is definitely still in the cards. I'd say 3rd pairing journeyman is pretty much his floor at this point.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It's all just a bunch more dreaming on Wallinder's size and skating combo. Pie in the sky. Guy doesn't provide offense, doesn't defend well, makes below average reads, underwhelming compete, and has no real physical game to speak of. I wish I could agree that there was something elite about his game, but there isn't.

Now go prove me wrong, Veelyim Vuhleendur.
He's provided really solid offense in the SHL, I really wouldn't draw sweeping conclusions based on his rookie AHL year playing behind Edvinsson/Johansson/etc.

When I read stuff like that I wonder how many people expected Thomas Harley to score nearly 50 points in the NHL all of a sudden? When you've got tools and talent it sometimes takes time to put it together, but Wallinder has upside for sure.

jaster

My dog from Belgium came with frites.
Jun 8, 2007
I think that is just being overly critical to try to create a narrative?

I thought he was a first round talent in his draft year. My only concern with him is he might not provide as much offense as I previously thought. I think he absolutely can still carve out a middle pair role and be a guy who logs a pretty decent amount of minutes.

Having a ++ size/skating combo is pretty big in today's game. And sometimes those guys just take a bit longer to figure it out. Like we saw Broberg turn it up in the playoffs last year, finally.

We have seen with Wallilnder he takes a bit to get acclimated when he joins a new league. Usually his 2nd year in that league is much better than the 1st, as @The Zetterberg Era pointed out. He was always someone with tools who was billed as being raw and needing time. I think he is on a perfectly fine trajectory and projects to a bigger minute role if he hits than a majority of the other defenseman in our pipeline. For those reasons I think it is kind of silly to put a even more raw even more boom/bust guy like Plante ahead of him.
I agree that, if he reaches whatever ceiling we want to put on him, that it's going to take longer. I mean, it's already taking longer. Which is not a problem. I'm happy to give him the runway, I'm not writing him off completely, and I hope he proves me wrong. But a lot has been written about him on this forum since he was drafted, and when I watched him a couple times in person late last season, the Wallinder I saw on the ice did not match the one often described here. The holes in his game were more pronounced than I expected, and while, yes, they can be fixed and improved upon, there is a lot more to work on than usually discussed. And some things, like compete and offensive ability, are not things guys usually take a big leap forward with. You either have it or you don't.

He really, really is going to need to learn how to defend if he's going to be anything more than bottom-pair. A non-physical, leaky defender with minimal offense is just not top-4 material, regardless of his size, skating, and transition game. So while some posters are curious to see how his offense develops this season, for me it's his defense that is far more important in terms of his NHL prospects.

I don't put much stock in the "he takes a year to acclimate to a new league." First, that's most players. Second, even when true, it doesn't matter much in terms of NHL projections, because it doesn't really apply to the final jump to the highest league. Beyond average improvement from year 1 to year 2, very rarely does it hold true when guys make the transition to the NHL. I hope you're right though, that Wallinder takes a big jump this season.

As for Plante vs Wallinder... the Wallinder pick was a home run swing that is really no closer to being a home run today than the day he was drafted. His deficiencies are pronounced. Plante, as a recent pick, could rise or plummet on prospect lists pretty quick. He's more of a clean slate. For that reason, it may be flimsy to have him ahead of Wallinder, but it's not silly. Both are very much in the same tier of prospects.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
He's provided really solid offense in the SHL, I really wouldn't draw sweeping conclusions based on his rookie AHL year playing behind Edvinsson/Johansson/etc.

When I read stuff like that I wonder how many people expected Thomas Harley to score nearly 50 points in the NHL all of a sudden? When you've got tools and talent it sometimes takes time to put it together, but Wallinder has upside for sure.
I'm not trying to make sweeping conclusions, I'm just evaluating what he is at this moment, and we are all essentially debating the liklihood of him reaching his ceiing. I think there's still a chance, but I'm obviously not as hopeful as some of you.

For every Thomas Harley, there are a hundred, I don't know, Brendan Smiths (in terms of offense). Wallinder could go off one year, sure, but let's be clear that those are very much exceptions to the rule, and are only worth mentioning in terms of "this remains a remote possibility" for [player X].

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I'm not trying to make sweeping conclusions, I'm just evaluating what he is at this moment, and we are all essentially debating the liklihood of him reaching his ceiing. I think there's still a chance, but I'm obviously not as hopeful as some of you.

For every Thomas Harley, there are a hundred, I don't know, Brendan Smiths (in terms of offense). Wallinder could go off one year, sure, but let's be clear that those are very much exceptions to the rule, and are only worth mentioning in terms of "this remains a remote possibility" for [player X].
I guess I just don't worry that much about the offensive side of his game. I think he's got the skill to contribute there. If anything keeps him out of the NHL it'll be lack of compete and defensive errors imo.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I guess I just don't worry that much about the offensive side of his game. I think he's got the skill to contribute there. If anything keeps him out of the NHL it'll be lack of compete and defensive errors imo.
I agree with that.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Add Noah Dower-Nilsson for next round please. I think he is a better prospect than a few of these guys.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I went with Plante. His calling card is playmaking which he does exceptionally well. I don't think any of the others on the list have a particular skill they really excel at. Plus, his skating is pretty good and his hockey IQ is realgud. I expect him to be a polished player by the time he starts to shave on a regular basis.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I know I talked on Wallinder, who I have over AlJo long-term. However, for what is on the board it is Plante here. I get those that have Buchelnikov, similar swing ideas here in terms of the two being debated. I think Plante being talked about as one of the best passers in the draft is getting slept on. Like we discussed on a few of these guys when you can find a truly elite skill it makes them more intriguing. He has a good developmental runway and with his skill should have a shot at a big role early at UMD. I found his performance at the summer showcase very encouraging as well. I think he has a more definable game as a playmaker with good 200 foot tendencies. I also do think he has an outside shot at being on the WJC20 team which could be massive for his development.

While Buchelnikov certainly shows more of a duel threat. His mesh point for me will be far more dependent on linemates in some ways. You can expect Plante to drop on a line, again not give up defense but be a pass first player that looks to create for teammates. Yes that can be predictable and I get those that will have the opposite reaction. But I have seen him pass through traffic and show plus vision a lot, so tight spaces shouldn't completely derail how he wants to play the game. He makes a lot of aggressive passes to high danger areas and fits pucks through. Lombardi also showed this a lot in junior, so I like these swings. Realistically we are looking for one to hit and become an offensive driver from the wing. The one I am highest on out of that is Plante, he provides the most defense, and to me he provides the highest elite skill in terms of his passing ability.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Buium seems to be one of the pipeline's most polarizing prospects. EP Rinkside recently ranked him as our 5th best skater I believe.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Buium seems to be one of the pipeline's most polarizing prospects. EP Rinkside recently ranked him as our 5th best skater I believe.

It's just great to hear these things, how also Wallinder is a great skater for big guy. Big guys winning board battles and not losing skating races against forwards = nightmare defence for opposite team.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It's just great to hear these things, how also Wallinder is a great skater for big guy. Big guys winning board battles and not losing skating races against forwards = nightmare defence for opposite team.
I meant 5th best prospect among our F/D, but for sure the skating both Wallinder and Buium possess make me hopeful at least one of them get the other parts of their to a level where they can be 2nd pairing caliber.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I meant 5th best prospect among our F/D, but for sure the skating both Wallinder and Buium possess make me hopeful at least one of them get the other parts of their to a level where they can be 2nd pairing caliber.
I think you are misrepresenting Buium by calling him a strong skater. If anything, it is probably the weakest overall part of his game. If absolutely everything goes right for him, he is probably a league average skater at best both technically and in terms of explosiveness.

I do, however, see mobility as being a big strength of Wallinder.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I'll go Soderblom. I'd be ok throwing him on the NHL roster today and still think he has potential to improve

I agree about Soderblom.

He just needs to realize how to put it together.

Maybe someone needs to let him sacrifice a live chicken.

Reactions: lilidk

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It has been pretty quiet with Söderblom. I wonder how his summer training has gone etc. Was he doing better at later part of the AHL-season ?

Reactions: lilidk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad