Prospect Info: 2024 7th OA : Carter Yakemchuk (RHD)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
So far, I don't think Yakemchuk has looked out of place at this level on the defensive side of the puck. He's got lots of room to improve, but the two things people talked about holding him back haven't really been an issue, his skating has been fine, and his defensive play has been much better than expected for an offensive minded rookie.

I think we'll send him down (and that's the right decision no doubt), maybe after a few games, but I think if push came to shove, he could play this year, which is surprising to me.
Lots of room. On one hand people saying he’s “lighting it up “. And the same people say “who cares we lost it’s just preseason”. I think he should go back. No rushing

I do t think he could play in the NHL regular season right now. Unless maybe his partner is Sanderson when he’s playing incredible

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
One of our best players in every game he’s played. Tough to send one of your best players away. We’ll see if he gets the 9.

Reactions: NyQuil

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
lol that's GOLD coming from you

Like in the Jensen thread when I said "I hope we are not expecting for a Zub level player... maybe Zub when he will be 34 y/o but as of now, they aren't in the same tier"

And you then say "Lol how do you know what Zub plays like when he's 34?"

I mean... :laugh:
Do you have a time machine?.... I think you both must have one based on these comments.

Negative to be negative you guys are two pees in a pod.

Reactions: Masked

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
wtf are you talking about? - it was common knowledge Martin wasn’t on the ice much if at all for practices.
My support for Martin and what he was there doing is evident in every post I made about the coaching change.

Nowhere did I say he had little influence.
I’m saying you watching Green coach pre season games (given you’ve never watched him coach a single game anywhere else) with half an AHL squad VS Martin who was rarely on ice with the players seems and claiming it’s massive downgrade is absurd.
Bingo. Not a single regular season NHL game with the full roster. But this is the content we get. Same guy that ripped on Yakemchuk before he saw him play a game too.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
How could anyone expect him to look this good? Amazing skill set that might just develop into something insane.

If he had been playing bad, you'd better believe people would not be saying "Well, it's only pre-season so let's not get too worked up."

There would be Senators fans jumping from rooftops from Billings Bridge to Vanier.

I get it - we're a nervous bunch because we rely so much on the draft in this market and the Boucher pick reset a lot of the goodwill built by the 2020 draft.

He hasn't shied away from being a difference maker and making plays which is always an outstanding quality in a just-drafted rookie.

Some rookies (like Zibanejad for example) can go through "deer in the headlights" stretches of play where they are just trying not to make mistakes out there. And that's fine too, but confidence is certainly something that Carter doesn't lack.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Do you have a time machine?.... I think you both must have one based on these comments.

Negative to be negative you guys are two pees in a pod.

Stop attacking people in every post. You're acting like you're so much smarter but believe me, you're not the smartest peanut in the turd. It's not just me and Saurus, you've been doing that to Hale, Alfsiversson and several others.

And for the Zub comment, what can I do if you can't even decipher such an easy sentence? You literally can't figure out what "maybe + will" means

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
If he had been playing bad, you'd better believe people would not be saying "Well, it's only pre-season so let's not get too worked up."

There would be Senators fans jumping from rooftops from Billings Bridge to Vanier.
Ha, yeah, it's true

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Lots of room. On one hand people saying he’s “lighting it up “. And the same people say “who cares we lost it’s just preseason”. I think he should go back. No rushing
Not sure what this has to do with anything. Preseason is about evaluating a player, and how he responds to being put in different situations. You can separate that from the results of the games. If you are saying he's causing us to lose the games, fine, that's evaluating the player. But results don't matter in preseason, process does, so the people you are complaining about are actually the ones doing it right. As for him going back, I agree, that's likely what's best for his development, my comment was more to point out that his development is further along than I expected.

I do t think he could play in the NHL regular season right now. Unless maybe his partner is Sanderson when he’s playing incredible
there are far worse players who play in the NHL every single year. so unless you don't think about 10-15% of players who play can't play in the NHL, I think we'll have to agree to disagree. The reality is some people like to act like the bottom quarter of NHL players don't belong in the league, rather than adjust their understanding of what an NHL player actually is based on who actually plays in the NHL.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Marc Denis (RDS) was praising Yakemchuk a lot in the 3rd period of the game last night

Marc Denis is quite good. he's not a biased homer like some are (Pierre Houde). He thought the 2 mins for Greig and 5 mins for Xhekaj was the right decisions.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
One of our best players in every game he’s played. Tough to send one of your best players away. We’ll see if he gets the 9.

He's played well, but he's also still a teenager. I don't want a teenage kid playing defense at the NHL level. Give him a chance to put on a few pounds of muscle before playing against men full time.

A couple games at the beginning of the season as a reward for his good camp is enough 'steak for the baby' at this stage.

Reactions: Sting

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
He's played well, but he's also still a teenager. I don't want a teenage kid playing defense at the NHL level. Give him a chance to put on a few pounds of muscle before playing against men full time.

A couple games at the beginning of the season as a reward for his good camp is enough 'steak for the baby' at this stage.
Agreed. I think if he keeps it up / impresses further in his few game NHL stint, maybe they should reconsider. At the end of the day it's still pre-season and he obviously has some skating/edge-work to do. Maybe that is better developed in the NHL than the WHL.

Even so, might be good for him to go back, dominate defensively and lead the WJC defence this year.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
So far, I don't think Yakemchuk has looked out of place at this level on the defensive side of the puck. He's got lots of room to improve, but the two things people talked about holding him back haven't really been an issue, his skating has been fine, and his defensive play has been much better than expected for an offensive minded rookie.

I think we'll send him down (and that's the right decision no doubt), maybe after a few games, but I think if push came to shove, he could play this year, which is surprising to me.
To me, he’s earned a few games with the big club to start the season. After those few games, then who knows? Take it from there.

He’s certainly skilled enough offensively, and I agree, he hasn’t looked that bad defensively either. He’s made a few errors, but all defensemen do at times as well. Minimally, give him some games to start the season, and then a few more to close out the regular season maybe.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Marc Denis (RDS) was praising Yakemchuk a lot in the 3rd period of the game last night

Marc Denis is quite good. he's not a biased homer like some are (Pierre Houde). He thought the 2 mins for Greig and 5 mins for Xhekaj was the right decisions.

Even Hab fans recognized his solid game.

You don't have to turn your brain off just because they're the other team.

I think Struble had a solid game, for example.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Yeah, Struble is becoming a solid NHLer, making it easy to trade Kovacevic

Their scouting has really been excellent in the last few years. Struble was in 2019 and Timmins was still there which surprises me a little but that's really what we need to improve : pro and amateur scouting

Yakemchuk re-assures me a lot that there's hope for us.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
He’s like a smarter and tougher Chychrun.

I like that he's right handed. That one timer off that side is another thing that has to be defended
Chychrun has been an offensive minded LD throughout his career (the one year he was moved to LD is duly noted). It was a mistake thinking he’d be good on the right side. That theory was always rather perplexing to me.

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
let him start a few games atleaast hes earned it in pre season no way theres 6 d man who looked better then him and deresve opening night start.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015

Yeah I was impressed by Struble, is he waiver eligible? Wouldn't mind picking him up and sending Klevin down as I am not impressed so far and don't think he's ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad