Prospect Info: 2024 7th OA : Carter Yakemchuk (RHD)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Good on the kid! Nice to see he's not afraid of making plays in big moments. That is an underrated and under-discussed trait in a player.

This reminds of my first viewing I had of him last year in the WHL. He looked amazing. It shows he's got some nice tools. Needs to learn how to make use of those tools every game; hopefully proper training and coaching bring that out of him.

Last edited:
Reactions: HSF and Icelevel

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
In all my years of following his coverage, I've never once thought he was giving hot takes for attention.

The reason I bother to defend a guy like Pronman on here is because there are people who try to make their livings off hot takes for attention, and they give a bad name to people like Pronman who do the actual work.

Exactly. Pronman is about as spicy as a vanilla milkshake

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I don't get the Pronman hate. I don't always agree with him, but if you understand what his job is, he's good at it.

His rankings and takes are hot garbage if you go back and look at them. All these clowns like Pronman and Wheeler try their best to make bold takes in hopes that one lands and they are deemed “the smartest one in the room”

Most of the time they are way off and only makes them appear to be less credible

Reactions: Masked

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
You should hear him on the last few Athletic podcasts. He's a Sens prophet now.
I think his take was pretty good there. I think Wheeler was against it but Pronman thinks Stuztle is J. Hughes level good which I don't think is a stretch but others do.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I don't think Yak stays for any regular season games this year. If I had to guess he'll go back to Calgary and be traded later this year to a WHL contender.

I think next year Yak likely splits between the AHL and NHL, but I wouldn't be adverse to him going back to the WHL if he has a chance to lead a team to a Memorial Cup.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
His rankings and takes are hot garbage if you go back and look at them. All these clowns like Pronman and Wheeler try their best to make bold takes in hopes that one lands and they are deemed “the smartest one in the room”

Most of the time they are way off and only makes them appear to be less credible

Yeah, I simply don't think that's how Pronman operates. I think he's one of the few writers in this space that's making a good faith effort to scout prospects and objectively report what he sees (i.e. to do his job).

Last edited:
Reactions: Sensatauro

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I think it was he or Wheeler that had Sanderson way down the draft rankings like into the 2nd round pre his draft .

I’ve commented on these two multiple times over the years . They have zero credibility despite the positive take on Yakemchuk
It was Wheeler who had both down on his list.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I think it was he or Wheeler that had Sanderson way down the draft rankings like into the 2nd round pre his draft .

I’ve commented on these two multiple times over the years . They have zero credibility despite the positive take on Yakemchuk

It was Wheeler. They are different people whose work and credibility should be assessed differently.

Reactions: Icelevel

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I don't think Pronman so much tries to make bold takes so much as he, particularly earlier on, has a distinct bias towards skilled offensive players. I think this is natural for any lists that are one person's opinion, as opposed to something like MacKenzie's scouts poll or bigger scouting services that employ a team to create their lists where any bias is smoothed out by other's input.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I think his take was pretty good there. I think Wheeler was against it but Pronman thinks Stuztle is J. Hughes level good which I don't think is a stretch but others do.

Personally I don't think Stützle is by any means a stretch to be as good, or better, than Jack Hughes. Stü's first three years were objectively better than Hughes's. Last year's injury plagued season was a setback but Stützle is stronger on his skates, and IMO, has shown more of a willingness to be a two-way player.

I might be in the minority but I prefer Stützle moving forward.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I don't think Pronman so much tries to make bold takes so much as he, particularly earlier on, has a distinct bias towards skilled offensive players. I think this is natural for any lists that are one person's opinion, as opposed to something like MacKenzie's scouts poll or bigger scouting services that employ a team to create their lists where any bias is smoothed out by other's input.

I think you're thinking of Wheeler here. Wheeler's bias is definitely towards skilled, and in particular smaller skilled, players. It's why he generally hates what the Sens do.

Pronman is a bit less predictable, I find, but in general I'd say he's more focused on projectable NHL tools, not unlike the Sens.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
That's either a hot take or a sign of diminished intelligence.

Expressing an opinion does not necessarily make it a hot take.

Yes, a lot of people online say things for attention. That doesn't mean that that's what's motivating all people.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....

I gave an alternate explanation.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site

Or you're excluding an explanation. The world is not exclusively made of hot takes and signs of diminished intelligence.

Last edited:

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Yeah, I simply don't think that's how Pronman operates. I think he's one of the few writers in this space that's making a good faith effort to scout prospects and objectively report what he sees (i.e. to do his job).
Have you listened to him?

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
If you follow hockey for a living and you think Yakemchuk is more valuable than Sanderson, you're either an idiot or a hot take artist.

I don't agree with his ranking, but I also can allow for the possibility that Pronman is a decently smart guy, that it is his job to express his informed opinion, and this is his opinion of Yakemchuk.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Have you listened to him?

Yes, I'm a regular listener of The Atheletic's prospect episodes.

This thread is making me look like I'm the world's first Pronman fan boy. I'm really not. I just disagree with the idea that he's just another hot takes guy in it for the clicks, and I think people are incorrectly lumping him in with less trustworthy sources.

Last edited:

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
That's either a hot take or a sign of diminished intelligence.
Possible... though Sanderson went around the same area in the draft

Personally I don't think Stützle is by any means a stretch to be as good, or better, than Jack Hughes. Stü's first three years were objectively better than Hughes's. Last year's injury plagued season was a setback but Stützle is stronger on his skates, and IMO, has shown more of a willingness to be a two-way player.

I might be in the minority but I prefer Stützle moving forward.
Totally agree, Stuztle is pretty underrated by a lot of people around the the league due to not improving last year and also Sens in general just don't get as much coverage

He has him as the top tier in the NHL

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Keeping him means releasing Addison and exposing JBD and Guenette to waivers which means we are taking the risk that our #6 RD is either Hamonic or a complete unknown once Yak goes back down.
We can sign Addison to a two-way contract and try to send him to belleville, we'd only have to waive one of JBD or Guenette if we want to keep 8 D up. We could also send down Kleven if we are worried about losing someone

Sanderson-Jensen
Chabot-Zub
Kleven-JBD/Guenette
Hamonic-Yakemchuk

Waive: Addison and one of JBD or Guenette.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad