Prospect Info: 2024 7th OA : Carter Yakemchuk (RHD)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
As good as Sandy and Chabby are offensively there’s a chance yak will be even better.
That’s a big upgrade on our backend.
Not to get too ahead of ourselves but he could be exactly what we need back there.
Good pick

Way back before the draft he was my top pick for us but I let others here talk me out of it temporarily so I was hoping for buium silayev or dickinson. I still like those guys a lot and they could have been great picks too but so far doesn’t look like any mistakes were made.

And I thought eliasson looked good in the scrimmage from what I could tell (thought he was ok in the rookie tournament). He’s very young though. Another big d with real potential.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I thought this guy was only drafted for his grit?

Hopefully that goal will get some of the more stubborn fans excited about Yakemchuk. He can do things that no other dmen on the team can do.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
I hope they send him back no later than he’s finished his 8 game stint. Would much rather he log a lot of minutes for a team and work on his D positioning, skating and using his body against weaker competition and then have a big offseason of getting stronger before really challenging for a spot on the team next year.

Sensfan5

Apr 20, 2013
Ottawa
Thought he was awesome all night. Good to see. Wonder if he keeps it up if he will get a game or 2 before going to junior

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It hasn't exactly worked out for Wright.... They also aren't similar prospects. Wright was exceptional status and doesn't play D.

Yakemchuk has a long development curve, always has. He's a really big guy to begin with. He is also a late bloomer physically.

He isn't even 19 yet. He should play lots in the CHL star on the WJC team. Get faster and stronger then finish the season up in pro.

They gotta hit a home run here, he has a very long way to go.
I don't think giving Wright some NHL and AHL games hurt his development though, so idk if it's fair to say that it hasn't worked out for him, he had a pretty good year in the AHL afterall.

I think Yak needs time to round out his game and work on the things that are holding him back, but some time at the Pro level might help show him where he needs to get too. A couple weeks with the big club won't likely hurt his development, it's not like he'd be bouncing back and forth, he gets exposure to pro practice, pro games, then goes back to the W to work on his game.

Obviously, this is all dependent on him showing he's ready for that level of exposure, so far it looks promising but it's been one pre-season game.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
so, a lot of concerns expressed about his skating hen he was drafted. i didn't see any real deficiency in last night's game. He didn't look behind the play at all

Reactions: Wondercarrot

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
so, a lot of concerns expressed about his skating hen he was drafted. i didn't see any real deficiency in last night's game. He didn't look behind the play at all

Leafs looked pretty slow and their fans were complaining about it.

I'll need to see how he plays against a team with pace but it's a nice sign nonetheless.

Reactions: bert

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I hope they send him back no later than he’s finished his 8 game stint. Would much rather he log a lot of minutes for a team and work on his D positioning, skating and using his body against weaker competition and then have a big offseason of getting stronger before really challenging for a spot on the team next year.

When we make the playoffs we could have a Charlie McAvoy situation here in Ottawa

Reactions: bert

The Waffler

Smartest Man-Child on HF
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Keeping him means releasing Addison and exposing JBD and Guenette to waivers which means we are taking the risk that our #6 RD is either Hamonic or a complete unknown once Yak goes back down.

Reactions: Senator Stanley

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Sure he can do it on cold rainy night in Stoke, but can he do it in a mid-September rookie tournament in Buffalo?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Leafs looked pretty slow and their fans were complaining about it.

I'll need to see how he plays against a team with pace but it's a nice sign nonetheless.
His skating isn't close to being fully developed yet is more the point. He has lots to work on for sure but I think the way some people described it on here people expected a guy that couldn't move. His first steps and pivot has to and absolutely will get better as he gets stronger but they aren't NHL feet yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad