Prospect Info: 2024 7th OA : Carter Yakemchuk (RHD)

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Such an easy cop out/cope of this teams make up. They had one of the smallest softest d cores in the league. The forwards outside of the 4th line Brady and Greig were easy to play against. Pinto is a good two way player but this team's make up was not built to win. It was built like a fan trying to put together a team in a video game.

A player Cattons size has to be exceptionally elite to be a player that contributes at a high level and cant be found with ease in free agency. Maybe he will be maybe he wont but its an easy asset to acquire and not a current need for this team and how its built. Like Debrincat he would redundant on this roster and how its currently built. Debrincat had a tiny market when they went to sell him there was a reason for that.

RHD are the hardest asset to acquire in hockey and Ottawa's biggest weakness by a mile. Theres a reason why the three right handed d men went first in the draft this year. Why because its hard to find. Look what Staios had to settle on this offseason.

Again, your characterization of this team being made up by soft forwards really isn't true. Even Batherson and Stutzle have a lot of hits, their main issue last year was defensive responsibility.

The idea is that Catton at his potential would be a tier higher than Debrincat, and he would play the most important position in hockey, centre.

We need good RHD too, in fairness, but drafting BPA is generally better than drafting for need.

Reactions: Hale The Villain

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Again, your characterization of this team being made up by soft forwards really isn't true. Even Batherson and Stutzle have a lot of hits, their main issue last year was defensive responsibility.

The idea is that Catton at his potential would be a tier higher than Debrincat, and he would play the most important position in hockey, centre.

We need good RHD too, in fairness, but drafting BPA is generally better than drafting for need.
Main issue last year was korpisalo

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

I don’t think we didn’t draft bpa on our board

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Blatantly obvious to see how easy this team is/was to play against. You're just refusing to acknowledge it.

Yakemchuk has a higher ceiling and was BPA. Again I'll believe it when I see Catton play center in the NHL.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Not sure why it’s catton vs yakemchuk. Catton is far from sure thing if catton can reach his potential then no reason yakemchuk can’t.

It’s Yakemchuk over Buium and Dickinson that was a bit worrying.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
After much deliberation; Yakemchuk is the best prospect drafted in the 1st round by the Sens in the past 4 years.

birthday-party-cat-blowing-horn-9dp7apcoi310c41k[1].gif

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Yes, BPA as in Biggest Player Available.

That's an understatement.

According to hockeydb, we've drafted only one player below 5'11-6'0 in the last 6 years - that's 5'10 Cam O'Neill, who happens to be 202lb manlet, so not exactly tiny/weak.

Would love to see where someone like Catton ranks on the Sens' list. I'd guess late 1st.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
That's an understatement.

According to hockeydb, we've drafted only one player below 5'11-6'0 in the last 6 years - that's 5'10 Cam O'Neill, who happens to be 202lb manlet, so not exactly tiny/weak.

Would love to see where someone like Catton ranks on the Sens' list. I'd guess late 1st.
Definitely not, more inaccurate hyperbole. You and @Burrowsaurus continue your crusade you're just sounding boards off of one another.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Definitely not, more inaccurate hyperbole. You and @Burrowsaurus continue your crusade you're just sounding boards off of one another.
I have a post where I don’t understand why we are comparing catton to Yakemchuk. If catton can reach this mythical potential of first line Center than Yakemchuk can do the same.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

When a scouting staff makes it bloody obvious they aren't interested in a particular type of player (small skill players), you shouldn't be surprised if those types are significantly further down their list than where they are on consensus rankings.

Someone asked a great question in a different thread - does anyone think that if this scouting staff were running the 2008 draft that we would have taken Karlsson at 15?

Answer is obvious, even if you'd like to pretend otherwise.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Such an easy cop out/cope of this teams make up. They had one of the smallest softest d cores in the league. The forwards outside of the 4th line Brady and Greig were easy to play against. Pinto is a good two way player but this team's make up was not built to win. It was built like a fan trying to put together a team in a video game.

A player Cattons size has to be exceptionally elite to be a player that contributes at a high level and cant be found with ease in free agency. Maybe he will be maybe he wont but its an easy asset to acquire and not a current need for this team and how its built. Like Debrincat he would redundant on this roster and how its currently built. Debrincat had a tiny market when they went to sell him there was a reason for that.

RHD are the hardest asset to acquire in hockey and Ottawa's biggest weakness by a mile. Theres a reason why the three right handed d men went first in the draft this year. Why because its hard to find. Look what Staios had to settle on this offseason.

You ask all 32 fanbases on how satisfied they are with their team's toughness and all 32 will say their team is too easy to play against.

The Sens had the most hits in the entire league last season and the 5th most penalty minutes.

We might be the last team that needs to focus on toughness/physicality over talent.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
When a scouting staff makes it bloody obvious they aren't interested in a particular type of player (small skill players), you shouldn't be surprised if those types are significantly further down their list than where they are on consensus rankings.

Someone asked a great question in a different thread - does anyone think that if this scouting staff were running the 2008 draft that we would have taken Karlsson at 15?

Answer is obvious, even if you'd like to pretend otherwise.
I mean, we took Greig in the tail end of the first who was just as small at the draft as Catton. Granted he is grittier, but nowhere near as skilled. We also apparently were pretty high on Raymond, I'm guessing had Detroit taken Sanderson, we'd have drafted him at 5.

We certainly have our preferences and lean towards bigger guys, but I see zero reason we'd have Catton at the tail end of the first. Later than I'd like, sure, but end of the first? No way.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I mean, we took Greig in the tail end of the first who was just as small at the draft as Catton. Granted he is grittier, but nowhere near as skilled. We also apparently were pretty high on Raymond, I'm guessing had Detroit taken Sanderson, we'd have drafted him at 5.

We certainly have our preferences and lean towards bigger guys, but I see zero reason we'd have Catton at the tail end of the first. Later than I'd like, sure, but end of the first? No way.

They are just as obsessed with toughness/physicality as size, and those two tend to be positively correlated.

Greig had 83 PIMs in 56 games and is as tough as they come, which is why they took him.

I said before the draft you can sort the draftees by PIM totals and you'll have a very good idea of who the Sens are interested in.

Not a coincidence they took Yakemchuk and Eliasson - the two players with the most PIMs in the draft.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
They are just as obsessed with toughness/physicality as size, and those two tend to be positively correlated.

Greig had 83 PIMs in 56 games and is as tough as they come, which is why they took him.

I said before the draft you can sort the draftees by PIM totals and you'll have a very good idea of who the Sens are interested in.

Not a coincidence they took Yakemchuk and Eliasson - the two players with the most PIMs in the draft.
They certainly value toughness, I don't dispute that. What I dispute is they'd have Catton at the tail end of the 1st. I think our known interest in Raymond is a good indication that we still value guys like Catton. There is no doubt in my mind that we'd have Catton way ahead of Greig had they both been in the 2020 draft.

You can overvalue grit while still not having Catton ranked in the late 1st.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
They certainly value toughness, I don't dispute that. What I dispute is they'd have Catton at the tail end of the 1st. I think our known interest in Raymond is a good indication that we still value guys like Catton. There is no doubt in my mind that we'd have Catton way ahead of Greig had they both been in the 2020 draft.

You can overvalue grit while still not having Catton ranked in the late 1st.

The top of the draft is a bit different in that it largely looks the same for most scouting staffs, regardless of their philosophy.

We were taking Celebrini #1 and almost certainly had Bedard/Carlsson/Fantilli/Smith as our top 4 in 2023. Where we'll differ is guys like Michkov/Catton will be much further down our list than other teams.

And it doesn't matter much whether we had Catton ranked mid 1st or late 1st. If we had him ranked mid 1st we weren't going to be the team that drafted him, as there are other teams who weight skill/IQ a lot higher than we do and would jump at the opportunity to draft him before us.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
You ask all 32 fanbases on how satisfied they are with their team's toughness and all 32 will say their team is too easy to play against.

The Sens had the most hits in the entire league last season and the 5th most penalty minutes.

We might be the last team that needs to focus on toughness/physicality over talent.
Particularly true when you look at the high level talent in the prospect pool

Reactions: DrEasy

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Blatantly obvious to see how easy this team is/was to play against. You're just refusing to acknowledge it.

Yakemchuk has a higher ceiling and was BPA. Again I'll believe it when I see Catton play center in the NHL.
Again, good defensive play=/=toughness.

Reactions: Gil Gunderson

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Again, good defensive play=/=toughness.
Like being offensively skilled being good defensively whether its defenisve reads. The ability to win 1 on 1 battles, blocking shots, or having the physical tools are all skills. This team lacks these types of players especially on the back end. A blanket statement saying a team can just be good defenisvely because of a coach is the same thing as a team can be skilled and score goals because of a coach.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

B.S

Tell me you never played hockey without telling me. Internet hockey fans just don't value it even though the results every year come playoff time show teams that are High level compete. That are long, physical and don't give other teams time and space are always playing at the end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad