Prospect Info: 2024 7th OA : Carter Yakemchuk (RHD)

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Not hard to imagine they were high on Beaudoin given he checks a lot of boxes for them, and Seidel obviously had some actual insider info as a guy who works for the Colts, but there's a big difference between being interested in Beaudoin at 7 as the BPA if Yakemchuk was gone, and at say at 13 as a trade back target had we moved back with Philly (as was being rumoured prior to dumping Korpisalo on the Bruins).

If he was legitimately viewed as a top 10 pick we certainly would have offered the 39th pick + a fair bit more to jump up to take him, regardless of how few picks we have after Dorion's insane spending sprees. Doesn't guarantee we would have been able to outbid Utah, who have a massive warchest of picks to use thanks to the great work of Bill Armstrong, but Utah getting to move up for only the cost of a 3rd round pick implies not a lot of interest from us and other teams wanting to move up.

Then again the Hawks gave up pick #50 to move up 7 spots to #27 to take Vanacker right after it only cost Utah pick #71 to move up 15 spots to #24, so who the hell knows how much shopping around of pick #24 the Avs even did. Super weird deal for them to move down so much for so little.
It was 38th, 71st, and a 2025 2nd for Utah; Sens only sure pick in the next 2 drafts is that 2025 2nd, extremely hard to trade that away a year in advance for the Sens, especially when they don't have the 3rd to go with. Avs trading down with 71 to 76 and then reaching for Zellers tells me they were targetting him in the 3rd, was probably a pick they needed/wanted in return.

I’m not sure Ottawa could have put together anything to move up with picks, they had 39, 104, and a 2025 2nd as the only picks available, that makes it even tougher to give up multiple picks with a depleted pool.

Agreed they weren’t taking him at 7 and he’d have been a guy they’d be looking at on a trade back to 9-13.

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
It was 38th, 71st, and a 2025 2nd for Utah; Sens only sure pick in the next 2 drafts is that 2025 2nd, extremely hard to trade that away a year in advance for the Sens, especially when they don't have the 3rd to go with. Avs trading down with 71 to 76 and then reaching for Zellers tells me they were targetting him in the 3rd, was probably a pick they needed/wanted in return.

I’m not sure Ottawa could have put together anything to move up with picks, they had 39, 104, and a 2025 2nd as the only picks available, that makes it even tougher to give up multiple picks with a depleted pool.

Agreed they weren’t taking him at 7 and he’d have been a guy they’d be looking at on a trade back to 9-13.

Oh well nevermind then. I was looking at hockeydb and they listed the trade as 24 for 39+71.

An extra 2nd in there makes a lot more sense and does make it more difficult for us to match.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
What a terrible interview on Team1200.

Awful questioning.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
I think it was Creech?

Just really awkward and uninteresting.
Boring interviews are just as much the fault of the person being interviewed. I found Brady Tkachuk surprisingly boring on CIH. He was like a politician. So safe and guarded... just giving pre-scripted answers. He basically didn't say anything. I think he was just putting in his time because it was a required task and wanted to be done with it.

Anyway, these guys don't all have fun personalities.

Reactions: BigRig4

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Boring interviews are just as much the fault of the person being interviewed. I found Brady Tkachuk surprisingly boring on CIH. He was like a politician. So safe and guarded... just giving pre-scripted answers. He basically didn't say anything. I think he was just putting in his time because it was a required task and wanted to be done with it.

Brady was having fun with locked on senators the week before though.

The old guys on cih are often very dry and boring and even awkward. Not always a great time for a guest.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I get favouring Yakemchuk but

A. "Another" implies we are filled with small forwards, we really aren't.
B. Game-breaking centres-which Catton has the potential to become-are at least as hard to obtain as top pair RHD, if not harder.
I mean the sens are small other than Brady and Grieg they have no physical forwards. It's obvious in how easy they are to play against.

I'll believe it when I see it in regards to Catton playing center in the NHL. Where's catton playing on the sens 100 percent he's a winger. Stuztle and Pinto are this teams top 2 centers. Pinto is just scratching the surface he's a 6'3 200 pound 2 way center that can score from distance. Plus they've invested 8 million per year in Norris.

Skilled undersized wingers are a dime a dozen. That will never change.

Top pair potential physical skill two way RD don't really exist right now in hockey.

Yakemchuk has some skating draw backs and his development curve compared to Cattons is probably the polar opposite. You couldn't find more opposites in prospects.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoardsofCanada

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

They’be learned that there’s only risk and little reward in giving anything but stock answers.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

The Athletic’s Corey Pronman, Scott Wheeler and Max Bultman have compiled their projected rosters for four medal contenders.

GUYhaRgXoAAdzq8

On defence, Tanner Molendyk and Oliver Bonk are returnees and Zayne Parekh is a lock. After that trio, we felt five players were competing for the final four jobs: Sawyer Mynio (who played well alongside Parekh all week in Windsor and Plymouth), top 2024 picks Sam Dickinson and Carter Yakemchuk (who both had up-and-down weeks), and 19-year-olds Andrew Gibson (Predators) and Noah Chadwick (Maple Leafs). Wheeler believes Chadwick will end up on the final roster because he’s got the trust of management group lead Peter Anholt, his general manager in Lethbridge, but Gibson outplayed him in Plymouth and won the final job for now.

Early opinions from the sidelines.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

This is an 18 year old kid, he isn't supposed to be a dynamic personality.

The questions were impossible to answer in an interesting way. It was a terrible interview.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
We're easy to play against due to poor D structure, not because of lack of size. Again, we don't really have any small forwards in our top 6 except for Giroux.

Also, the point about drafting Catton is that he could be an elite offensive player, the type you could not in fact, find easily in free agency.
Such an easy cop out/cope of this teams make up. They had one of the smallest softest d cores in the league. The forwards outside of the 4th line Brady and Greig were easy to play against. Pinto is a good two way player but this team's make up was not built to win. It was built like a fan trying to put together a team in a video game.

A player Cattons size has to be exceptionally elite to be a player that contributes at a high level and cant be found with ease in free agency. Maybe he will be maybe he wont but its an easy asset to acquire and not a current need for this team and how its built. Like Debrincat he would redundant on this roster and how its currently built. Debrincat had a tiny market when they went to sell him there was a reason for that.

RHD are the hardest asset to acquire in hockey and Ottawa's biggest weakness by a mile. Theres a reason why the three right handed d men went first in the draft this year. Why because its hard to find. Look what Staios had to settle on this offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad