Prospect Info: 2024 7th OA : Carter Yakemchuk (RHD)

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Should 7th overall look a little better? Maybe. But we banked big time on tools coming together. Much like we did on Logan brown.
Nope he already produced and performed at an elite level. Yakemchuk has a mean streak and visibly high compete level. Nothing alike. This thread has been so tough for you.

The five players chosen after Yakemchuk also have high upsides. And frankly, Yakemchuk being 6'3 and having loads of PIMs probably skewed things in his favour with our scouting group.
Yeah being big and tough what a bad thing... Those are legitimate positives....

They did and it could be.
Every team in hockey needs 6'3 d men that are right handed and can score goals anyway you want it.

Reactions: scout20

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Nope he already produced and performed at an elite level. Yakemchuk has a mean streak and visibly high compete level. Nothing alike. This thread has been so tough for you.

Yeah being big and tough what a bad thing... Those are legitimate positives....

Every team in hockey needs 6'3 d men that are right handed and can score goals anyway you want it.
To be honest, it sounds like this thread and this board has been tough for you lately.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Should expect more of these coming out this week. Just conversation pieces at this point.
GUOkaECboAAANuZ

Lots of hockey to go .. Cayden Lindstrom did not participate. If he has a good start I would expect him to have a spot. From what I could gather Mynio a 2 way with strong defense had a good camp.. not a big name. Not the 1st I've seen to have Morin and Gibson as a shut down pair.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

I'm not entirely sure how to feel about that isolation footage.

He seems to understand the basics defensively...was keeping a good eye on his man (although they did get away from him on occasion), seems to understand defensive angles reasonably well, decent strength at this stage. Active stick...while it works in junior and the NHL, in the IIHF tourney he'll get a lot of PIMs for that laying the lumber. Move the feet a bit and take a stride and lay the body instead of the lumber...would improve his defensive game immensely.

Skating...dude has heavy feet. Likes to glide a lot. Needs a bit more bounce in his step, more into engagement mode. Really needs to make the decision to move the feet a lot faster.

I do like that he was trying to make plays offensively...but he was kinda stuck in "do it all" mode....not using his linemates well and trying to do it himself. End up losing the puck a few times from it. Needs to go to a team where he has talent to play with.

Kid is so very raw. There's some good tools there, but he really needs to be put in a position to develop. Wish the kid could play in London or some other team that knows how to turn kids into pros. He really needs coaching to turn this kid into a gem.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

He seems to understand the basics defensively...was keeping a good eye on his man (although they did get away from him on occasion), seems to understand defensive angles reasonably well, decent strength at this stage. Active stick...while it works in junior and the NHL, in the IIHF tourney he'll get a lot of PIMs for that laying the lumber. Move the feet a bit and take a stride and lay the body instead of the lumber...would improve his defensive game immensely.

Skating...dude has heavy feet. Likes to glide a lot. Needs a bit more bounce in his step, more into engagement mode. Really needs to make the decision to move the feet a lot faster.

I do like that he was trying to make plays offensively...but he was kinda stuck in "do it all" mode....not using his linemates well and trying to do it himself. End up losing the puck a few times from it. Needs to go to a team where he has talent to play with.

Kid is so very raw. There's some good tools there, but he really needs to be put in a position to develop. Wish the kid could play in London or some other team that knows how to turn kids into pros. He really needs coaching to turn this kid into a gem.
It was a "friendly" set of clips

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016

I am not sure how accurate my assessment is but in watching the footage I get the sense that we will see exponential growth in his play through athletic development. Maybe I am overlooking the nuances of skating mechanics or something but I just get the impression that once he starts to really mature into his body, and once he get the right athletic development, that there really won't be many concerns at all about his skating.

Remember how when Brady Tkachuk struggled to stay on his skates when he first entered the league? Now he is really strong on his skates and nearly no one in the league can move him. I think when Yakemchuk hit his physical prime he could be quite the player.

When I look at the ISO footage through that lens it really is intriguing to see the little things he is doing well and how much better he will look with more power and coordination.

Do you get a similar sense of the undeveloped athleticism?

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
This is one of the easiest teams to play against in hockey. Debrincat was redundant to this team and how it's built. They have made their bed and paid the skill forwards on this team. You can get small skill especially lefties in free agency it's everywhere.

We're easy to play against due to poor D structure, not because of lack of size. Again, we don't really have any small forwards in our top 6 except for Giroux.

Also, the point about drafting Catton is that he could be an elite offensive player, the type you could not in fact, find easily in free agency.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
We're easy to play against due to poor D structure,
That’s one of the reasons Sens weren’t winning, lack of back pressure and poor D execution. All coaches emphasize D structure, Sens didn’t execute it.
not because of lack of size. Again, we don't really have any small forwards in our top 6 except for Giroux.
Definitely need some size and physicality on the backend, especially in the playoffs, and they got that, plus some skill in RD Yak, they’re hard to find. Yak has a bit of everything.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
The Yakemchuk pick reminds me a lot of what happened with Mika in 2011 with the 4 forwards that were all sort of interchangeably ranked.

Ottawa took the rawest of the 4, and it turned out pretty well.

Can definitely see the thought behind it, even if I would have personally taken Dickinson, but will reserve judgement for at least 3 years.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
The Yakemchuk pick reminds me a lot of what happened with Mika in 2011 with the 4 forwards that were all sort of interchangeably ranked.

Ottawa took the rawest of the 4, and it turned out pretty well.

Can definitely see the thought behind it, even if I would have personally taken Dickinson, but will reserve judgement for at least 3 years.
Dickinson is too redundant as he looks to be a less intelligent lhd Sanderson. I wanted Dickinson for the Flames because having a 1D that's a defensive stud is very important plus the Flames already have a good crop of rhd depth, but Dickinson doesn't make sense for the sens.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Maybe we did but looks like yakemchuk ahead.

Celebrini sennecke iginla yakemchuk lindstrom (mystery player) beaudoin

Colorado traded the Beaudoin pick to Utah for 38th, 71st, and a 2025 2nd. The pick beofre was also traded for a similar haul.

Ottawa could have certainly outbid Utah if they wanted to. It would be strange for them to not want to (outbid them) if it meant they'd get what they believed to be the 7th best player in the entire draft.

Combine that logic with also having one or both Demidov and Levshunov outside their top-7, and it's just not believable IMO.

Reactions: Senator Stanley

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Colorado traded the Beaudoin pick to Utah for 38th, 71st, and a 2025 2nd. The pick beofre was also traded for a similar haul.

Ottawa could have certainly outbid Utah if they wanted to. It would be strange for them to not want to (outbid them) if it meant they'd get what they believed to be the 7th best player in the entire draft.

Combine that logic with also having one or both Demidov and Levshunov outside their top-7, and it's just not believable IMO.
Demidov was almost certainly outside their top 7

Seidel is the director of player development for Barrie, where Beaudoin plays. He would certainly know who liked him, and was given direct info from Marek on the teams picks. We know how he’s been getting every pick correct along with info for the past 5 or so drafts. Not sure why he was musing as though it was his savant scouting and contacts throughout the league that was making him think that way, whereas he was being spoon fed everything, but he’s likely to pay for that in some kind of way in the future.

I don’t think he was in their top 5-7, I don’t think he was going to be taken at 7, but I think he was absolutely a guy they’d have been taking if they moved down to 9-12, and he was definitely much, much higher on the Sens list than would be deemed “reasonable” on here. I almost guarantee he was in the tier of guys to be thought of for a pick around 7-10.

Sens can’t be trading picks like that, unfortunately, because they have depleted and wasted so many the past 3 drafts, along with no 2nd in 2026 and having to give up a 1st in 2025/2026.

They never had a 3rd this year, and if they gave up a 2nd next year they only get to choose in the top 2 rounds 1 time in the next 2 drafts. They legitimately can’t be making trades to move up like that because they don’t have the draft capital, and their prospect pool is so bad.

Like, how would the Sens outbid 38, 71 and 2025 2nd with what they have in draft picks? They don’t have the available picks to outbid that.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I am not sure how accurate my assessment is but in watching the footage I get the sense that we will see exponential growth in his play through athletic development. Maybe I am overlooking the nuances of skating mechanics or something but I just get the impression that once he starts to really mature into his body, and once he get the right athletic development, that there really won't be many concerns at all about his skating.

Remember how when Brady Tkachuk struggled to stay on his skates when he first entered the league? Now he is really strong on his skates and nearly no one in the league can move him. I think when Yakemchuk hit his physical prime he could be quite the player.

When I look at the ISO footage through that lens it really is intriguing to see the little things he is doing well and how much better he will look with more power and coordination.

Do you get a similar sense of the undeveloped athleticism?

He's very raw. There are intriguing tools there, and I can see why the scouts really like him.

The problem with raw and undeveloped is there's no guarantee they'll develop as we envision them. That's why it's so critical for this kid to be in the best developmental situation possible. Growth is not automatic, and must be nurtured.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Demidov was almost certainly outside their top 7

Seidel is the director of player development for Barrie, where Beaudoin plays. He would certainly know who liked him, and was given direct info from Marek on the teams picks. We know how he’s been getting every pick correct along with info for the past 5 or so drafts. Not sure why he was musing as though it was his savant scouting and contacts throughout the league that was making him think that way, whereas he was being spoon fed everything, but he’s likely to pay for that in some kind of way in the future.

I don’t think he was in their top 5-7, I don’t think he was going to be taken at 7, but I think he was absolutely a guy they’d have been taking if they moved down to 9-12, and he was definitely much, much higher on the Sens list than would be deemed “reasonable” on here. I almost guarantee he was in the tier of guys to be thought of for a pick around 7-10.

Sens can’t be trading picks like that, unfortunately, because they have depleted and wasted so many the past 3 drafts, along with no 2nd in 2026 and having to give up a 1st in 2025/2026.

They never had a 3rd this year, and if they gave up a 2nd next year they only get to choose in the top 2 rounds 1 time in the next 2 drafts. They legitimately can’t be making trades to move up like that because they don’t have the draft capital, and their prospect pool is so bad.

Like, how would the Sens outbid 38, 71 and 2025 2nd with what they have in draft picks? They don’t have the available picks to outbid that.

Having a depleted pool, and few high picks in the upcoming drafts makes it harder to believe, not less. It means they need to optimize their selections. If they had Beaudoin ~10th and they could have sent 39, a 2025 2nd, and another minor piece - it would be terrible asset management to not do it.

If you're offered 10th overall for what Utah gave up - every single team takes that deal and runs away feeling like they win the lottery. That's essentially what you're saying Ottawa chose not to do (if they did in fact have Beaudoin ~10th). It doesn't make sense from an asset or scouting POV. The picks given up are far outweighed by the quality of the perceived asset they are receiving.

What makes the mkst sense is Beaudoin was a guy they would have targeted with the pick they sent to Boston. Perhaps even enough to trade up for, to a degree. A guy they believed was higher on their list, than most or all other teams. Sure, they could have traded down from 7 and taken him with the 14th pick (just an example), but either way it doesn't seem like they had him quite as high as some are suggesting, otherwise they'd have gone hard for him when he was still available in the early 20s.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Not hard to imagine they were high on Beaudoin given he checks a lot of boxes for them, and Seidel obviously had some actual insider info as a guy who works for the Colts, but there's a big difference between being interested in Beaudoin at 7 as the BPA if Yakemchuk was gone, and at say at 13 as a trade back target had we moved back with Philly (as was being rumoured prior to dumping Korpisalo on the Bruins).

If he was legitimately viewed as a top 10 pick we certainly would have offered the 39th pick + a fair bit more to jump up to take him, regardless of how few picks we have after Dorion's insane spending sprees. Doesn't guarantee we would have been able to outbid Utah, who have a massive warchest of picks to use thanks to the great work of Bill Armstrong, but Utah getting to move up for only the cost of a 3rd round pick implies not a lot of interest from us and other teams wanting to move up.

Then again the Hawks gave up pick #50 to move up 7 spots to #27 to take Vanacker right after it only cost Utah pick #71 to move up 15 spots to #24, so who the hell knows how much shopping around of pick #24 the Avs even did. Super weird deal for them to move down so much for so little.

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy
    Wagers: 7
    Staked: $30,494.00