Prospect Info: 2024 7th OA : Carter Yakemchuk (RHD)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
This is what was said in Wheeler’s article about him on The Athletic. I’m assuming the Sens feel like it’s a matter of growing into his body but who knows.
The second thing they’ll ask about is his skating.

Crashley will answer quickly.

“Man, I’m not even sure he fully has his feet under him,” he’ll insist.

In his first year in the WHL, Crashley said, Yakemchuk “couldn’t stay on his feet and was falling over at random times all the time.” Today, even at 6-3 and over 200 pounds, Crashley says “he still has a young body.”

He says that’s actually part of the reason why so many NHL teams are high on Yakemchuk.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/56...senators-sanderson/?source=emp_shared_article

Wishing Yakemchuk all the success in his development, love that him and Sandy know each other and they better become a dominant top pairing.
“He sent me a note congratulating me and welcoming me to Ottawa. It was really cool to get that text,” says Yakemchuk.

It was not a surprising text message, given that the Yakemchuk and Sanderson families have known each other for years. One of Yakemchuk’s two older brothers, Keeling, played goalie on Sanderson’s teams growing up in the Calgary minor hockey system.

“I would always see Carter at the rinks all over Calgary. You could tell he just loved hockey,” Sanderson says via text. “They lived in the neighborhood across from us and there was a big outdoor rink there in the winters and our families would go skate on it.”

Yakemchuk admits that when he watched Sanderson play alongside his brother, he didn’t see an NHL talent leaping off the ice. That’s because he was simply tagging along to watch his brother — who is four years older than him — play hockey.

“I was just a kid in the stands. I wasn’t paying too much attention to what was going on in the ice,” laughs Yakemchuk."

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
His skating makes me cringe. But he has been able to work with it to this point but it's a clear area that he could improve on. By the time he's in the NHL he'll look much better like bouchard. The hockey IQ piece is always the more concerning thing.

I agree. Needs work for sure. Backwards skating is the most glaring issue with him but his agility could use some work too.

I bet he gets it sorted out well enough to be a good player. Hopefully he's willing to put in the work but I'd still bet on it being a bit longer than most are expecting before he's an impact top 4 D.

Reactions: R2010

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
This is what was said in Wheeler’s article about him on The Athletic. I’m assuming the Sens feel like it’s a matter of growing into his body but who knows.
Yakemchuk was about 5'9 or 5'10 - depending on the source- a couple of months before his 15th birthday. He had a relatively late growth spurt and, as you say, is still growing into his projectable frame. He is raw

Brady didn't look like the most graceful skater. He fell down a lot in his first development camp. In the end, Yakemchuk will be a good skater. His top-end speed is quite good and so are his edges - the improvements in dexterity and short area burst will come in time,

Reactions: PlayOn and Icelevel

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Dave poulin lol

Not that it’s terrible and can improve so it’s not a problem at all. But elite? Come on Dave

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He looks like me warming up for rec hockey lol. I’m also tall and a right shot D. Maybe I have elite skating!

I kid, obviously those videos don’t show much of anything.
The smallest possible sample size... but they do show a little .. not worth breaking it down. They don't show much but not nothing.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
Really? He's a 6'3" centre, very good skater, fast, good defensively, can play PK/PP, great shot, good offensive instincts, smart player, good at faceoffs, he ticks off a lot of boxes
Oh yeah I know pinto IS awesome. But I don’t get the connection to the “elite skating” comment re yakemchuk.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
His skating seems fine at development camp, but it's not game situations so wait & see I guess.
I mean I’ve seen enough of him. His skating is fine. Good once he gets going with the puck on his stick. But it’s not “elite” like poulin said.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
His skating seems fine at development camp, but it's not game situations so wait & see I guess.
Does it though? Not saying it's going to be the end up of him or he can't improve, but you can see his lack of lateral skating ability in one of those clips where he can't keep up with a forward going to the net.

It's still early and just dev camp, so I'm not sure how much I should read into it.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Poulin saying Yakemchuk has elite skating is asinine. However it’s also not as bad as many are making it out to be as well.

The growth spurt comment is interesting as someone previously mentioned that and Brady. You can add in Sennekke who also had a late big growth spurt and now has ugly skating as well but it will likely improve .

I’m confident Yakemchuks skating will improve and even if it doesn’t it won’t prevent him from being an NHL player

Reactions: Icelevel

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Unrelated to his skating, but it was nice seeing some of the quotes from Catton talking about Yakemchuk as being the toughest guy to play against in the Dub and naming him as one of the more underrated draft eligible players. If the guys on the ice notice it it's no wonder the scouts were enamored with him.

Catton is 100% sold on Yakemchuk lol

“He’s the silkiest guy I’ve seen,” said Berkly Catton, another projected first-round pick in 2024. “He almost plays like a smaller guy, but he is a big guy. He’s always a threat, especially in the offensive zone.”

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Catton is 100% sold on Yakemchuk lol

“He’s the silkiest guy I’ve seen,” said Berkly Catton, another projected first-round pick in 2024. “He almost plays like a smaller guy, but he is a big guy. He’s always a threat, especially in the offensive zone.”
Definitely where he shines

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad