Prospect Info: 2024 7th OA : Carter Yakemchuk (RHD)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Is it possible to ask him to go to the NCAA? He needs good coaching to correct some of his deficiencies. I don't think that will happed in the WHL, where he's freewheeling and dangling all day.
You lose your NCAA eligibility by going into the CHL, that's not an option

Reactions: Cosmix

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
I disagree the kid has mad skills, he has a canon of a shot and he's got a lot of jam to its game, he's gonna be a beauty. He's got all the tools to be a top D.
Agreed. As it stands, very few of our existing D-core can manage to get a shot through on net yet alone score points. Seems this young man is known for his offensive prowess. We need more than Sanderson having the ability to muster offence. Chabot has shown signs of it but as I have stated many times, sometimes he doesn't move laterally much even though he has proven he can do that. He and other Ottawa D also wait way too long and their open lanes evaporate. Yakemchuk will in my estimation require a minimum of 2 years to more fully bake, but this sounds like a solid pick even if it was not everybody's first choice at the 7 position (including mine). Many have observed that Staios would surely know D, so I am happy to defer to him until proven wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: LiseL

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
In the Senators mind I doubt that but externally on lists sure. They were incredibly high on Chabot. At the time of drafting Sens clearly had Chabot well into their top 10 in one of the best drafts in years.
Fair, Chabot is the one guy I think, and from what Staios and Boyd have said, they likely aren't as high on guys after Yakemchuk as I am.

jake1

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
Is it possible to ask him to go to the NCAA? He needs good coaching to correct some of his deficiencies. I don't think that will happed in the WHL, where he's freewheeling and dangling all day.
No. CHL players are not currently eligible to play in the NCAA. However, given the seismic changes in NCAA sports in the last few years, that rule is likely just a lawsuit away from changing.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Re: bolded

If depends on whether you are looking at things through the lens of the current prism or the prism of the future. Dickinson could be our #2 LD and Chabot not even on team 4 (or 5) years from now.

It could be that. The Wild were certainly determined to get their guy.
At #7 you can grab a player that could be ready in a year or two. I really dislike the mentality of not considering the current makeup of the roster when determining your choice. Chabot has 4 years left on his deal, and Sanderson has 8. If there's two similar defensemen available in the draft then I'm taking the one with the clear path to an open spot on the team over the one who will be stuck behind our two best defensemen. Not to mention we have Kleven as well who is developing nicely and should slot in as our 3rd pairing LHD. Where would you even expect Dickinson to play? Are you going to start trading away proven NHL defensemen to make room for a low-ceiling rookie dman at that point?

This idea of just taking a player without considering who is ahead of them in the organizational depth chart just seems very much like sticking your head in the sand and ignoring a real problem. Remember it's not just about the player you're taking on draft day, but you have to develop these prospects too, and that gets tougher when there's less opportunity for them. A player does there best development at the NHL level, how do you plan to develop a guy like Dickinson when there's no spot for him on the team?

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
At #7 you can grab a player that could be ready in a year or two. I really dislike the mentality of not considering the current makeup of the roster when determining your choice. Chabot has 4 years left on his deal, and Sanderson has 8. If there's two similar defensemen available in the draft then I'm taking the one with the clear path to an open spot on the team over the one who will be stuck behind our two best defensemen. Not to mention we have Kleven as well who is developing nicely and should slot in as our 3rd pairing LHD. Where would you even expect Dickinson to play? Are you going to start trading away proven NHL defensemen to make room for a low-ceiling rookie dman at that point?

This idea of just taking a player without considering who is ahead of them in the organizational depth chart just seems very much like sticking your head in the sand and ignoring a real problem. Remember it's not just about the player you're taking on draft day, but you have to develop these prospects too, and that gets tougher when there's less opportunity for them. A player does there best development at the NHL level, how do you plan to develop a guy like Dickinson when there's no spot for him on the team?
Kleven LD & Yakemchuk RD could be a pairing a couple of years from now and on low cost ELCs. That scenario is not that far off and a lot of players selected in the 1st round of this year’s draft won’t be playing on their NHL club this year. Then you can add the point made earlier that in a few years from now Chabot may not be on the team and Yakemchuk is our 2nd pair RD. They aren’t even sure if Celenbrini won’t be sent back for another year of college hockey.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Well, don Boyd pretty much said the opposite, stating they go with their list. The rumour you're referencing stated themselves he wasn't confident in it, sounds more like that was the target at 25 had we kept the pick to me. Had they traded down (for example as a means to dump Korpisalo) maybe they are considering Beaudoin in the 12-15 range, but again, that could easily be their BPA in that range depending on how the draft played out. He was ranked 23rd in Mackenzies list in a year with very little consensus once you got out of the first half.
Agree
Could be said of Thompson and JBD too

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Sanderson is also the perfect Ekholm like partner for him.

The issue with Dickinson is he's just a less intelligent Sanderson. I'd love Dickinson on the Flames since he can become that #1 on there, but on the Sens, there's no way he's overpassing Sanderson bare some sort of catastrophe. Yak is more risky btu has a higher ceiling for our team.
Scouts think Dickinson is very athletic, but there are questions about his decision making. Much the same as the criticism against Yak. I just don't think there is much of a difference between these two prospects.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Come on guys his hockey iq isn't that low.

The floor and upside are pretty high as well. Like worst case he is a big nasty 3rd pair RD and best case he definitely has potential to be a two way goalscoring 1st pair D.

With good coaching and with his size and his natural inclination for physical contact he can become a defensive weapon too.

His passing is also good = good vision = good hockey sense.

We shouldn't be this down on him.
It's a vocal minority.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Yakemchuk scored almost as many goals. And was on a way worse team and has a physical edge. Parehk has no defenisve upside. He's very slight and is not strong nor is his skating.
Yakemchuk is a late birthday though. He just played his 3rd CHL season. Being more defensively responsible should be expected.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yakemchuk is a late birthday though. He just played his 3rd CHL season. Being more defensively responsible should be expected.
I think coaching is at play there, if the coaches didn't want him jumping in for offense so much I'm sure they'd have reeled him in.

The team didn't have a lot to work with so he was asked to press for offense even if it did mean sacrificing some defense

Reactions: Cosmix and R2010

R2010

May 23, 2011
Yakemchuk scored almost as many goals. And was on a way worse team and has a physical edge. Parehk has no defenisve upside. He's very slight and is not strong nor is his skating.

Parehk definitely riskier pick.

Sure. But in fairness to him it's hard to be strong defensively on a bad team as the offense driver. Would like to see him in a more structured environment. He still looks like he's got a long way to go in terms of physical maturity.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Not comparing the 2 but Makar was a month younger when he was drafted and was said to have holes in his D game (wich he cleaned easily) too
Not super worrying to be a late

Ad

Upcoming events

• Portugal vs Slovenia
    KNOCKOUT Portugal vs Slovenia
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $28,564.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 1