Prospect Info: [2024] 5th rd selection - #157 OA - G, Timofei Obvintsev - Krasnaya Armiya, MHL (6′4″/178lb)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
When it comes to goalie prospects, that's a problem you want to have
We already have enough. Seems like wasted picks drafting more when you can take some swings and draft more forwards/Dmen who have a better chance of potentially playing for the Leafs someday.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Well so far Woll is looking pretty decent and could be the starter if he can stay healthy and Hildeby looks fairly good behind him. Akhtiamov looks promising too. How many more do you need?
As many as it takes and more. Teams are always looking for goalies. And when is the last homegrown one we've drafted and developed into a legit starter for us -- Felix Potvin?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Apparently a freak athlete with unreal reflexes, plays unorthodox, like Georgiev but he's 6'4 vs 6'0

Might need a goalie coach but potential seems high.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Don't know why we need to waste more picks on goalies when we already have like 3 young goalies who are either playing in the NHL or could be soon.
Woll, 25 (NHL)
Hildeby, 22 (AHL)
Akhtyamov, 22 (ECHL/AHL)
Peksa, 21 (ECHL)
Obvintsev, 19 (MHL/KHL)

Seems pretty staggered/balanced to me. Most of these guys will likely bust anyways so you need to have a glut of lottery tickets. Petruzzelli, Peksa are looking like fodder, along with McKay who both struggled in the ECHL.

Stash Obvinstev in Russia, let Hildeby compete with Akthyamov in the AHL for starts and hope one hits.

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
Well so far Woll is looking pretty decent and could be the starter if he can stay healthy and Hildeby looks fairly good behind him. Akhtiamov looks promising too. How many more do you need?
None of these goalies are guarnateed to be a #1 at all, even Woll. None of them have shown that yet. So yes, it is smart to keep drafting goalies.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
0fqlilor5kd81.jpg
Screw you! Don't call me Timmy!

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
This my official annual complaint we did not take a goalie with a higher pick. I have not been watching close but where is out boy on the goalie draft chart? Top 5 I hope.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
FWIW, he is rated #5 among goalies by the Black Book with some pretty enthusiastic comments. Basically, he is described as raw but Uber talented.

Reactions: JeromeHP

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
None of these goalies are guarnateed to be a #1 at all, even Woll. None of them have shown that yet. So yes, it is smart to keep drafting goalies.
At that point I'd rather just trade for someone else's young goalie or find one in other leagues or sign a free agent etc. The point is there's plenty of other ways to get a goalie than to draft them and wait forever for them to possibly develop into an NHL goalie for you. In fact if anything it proves that drafting goalies is a huge crapshoot even more so than drafting a forward or Dman if all the goalies you've drafted so far haven't worked out.

At least with other positions you usually find out pretty soon if a prospect has the potential to become an NHL player and if they do then they can start contributing to your team earlier. The same can't be said for goalies where only the best ones might start playing in the NHL in their early 20s. Otherwise it may take even longer before they might play in the NHL. Give me a forward or Dman that can possibly play in a few years or earlier over a goalie that may take much longer to help your team.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Woll, 25 (NHL)
Hildeby, 22 (AHL)
Akhtyamov, 22 (ECHL/AHL)
Peksa, 21 (ECHL)
Obvintsev, 19 (MHL/KHL)

Seems pretty staggered/balanced to me. Most of these guys will likely bust anyways so you need to have a glut of lottery tickets. Petruzzelli, Peksa are looking like fodder, along with McKay who both struggled in the ECHL.

Stash Obvinstev in Russia, let Hildeby compete with Akthyamov in the AHL for starts and hope one hits.
If one or two of them become good goalies what will you do with all the others? Why not just draft forwards and Dman who can potentially contribute earlier if they're good or that you can use in a trade for someone else's goalie instead? Let other teams draft and develop their goalies and then trade for them if you need to.

Just look at the Caps who just traded a couple of 3rd round picks for Logan Thompson. Maybe he works out or maybe he doesn't, but he'll be ready to go next season instead of waiting for your young guys to take years to develop after you draft them.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
At that point I'd rather just trade for someone else's young goalie or find one in other leagues or sign a free agent etc. The point is there's plenty of other ways to get a goalie than to draft them and wait forever for them to possibly develop into an NHL goalie for you. In fact if anything it proves that drafting goalies is a huge crapshoot even more so than drafting a forward or Dman if all the goalies you've drafted so far haven't worked out.

At least with other positions you usually find out pretty soon if a prospect has the potential to become an NHL player and if they do then they can start contributing to your team earlier. The same can't be said for goalies where only the best ones might start playing in the NHL in their early 20s. Otherwise it may take even longer before they might play in the NHL. Give me a forward or Dman that can possibly play in a few years or earlier over a goalie that may take much longer to help your team.

Soros
Hellebuyck
Skinner
Demko
Oettinger
Shesterkin
Vasilevesky
Binnington
Swayman
Sorokin

all drafted by their team.

You know what starting goalies last year were acquired and weren't drafted by their team?

Bobrovsky
Georgiev
Lindgren
Samsonov
Markstrom
Ullmark
Korpisolo
Mrazek
Quick
Fleury
Blackwood
Gustavsson

What category would you rather the Leafs be in? You want them to sign or acquire one like the teams did in the second category?

What are we even talking about here?

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Soros
Hellebuyck
Skinner
Demko
Oettinger
Shesterkin
Vasilevesky
Binnington
Swayman
Sorokin

all drafted by their team.

You know what starting goalies last year were acquired and weren't drafted by their team?

Bobrovsky
Georgiev
Lindgren
Samsonov
Markstrom
Ullmark
Korpisolo
Mrazek
Quick
Fleury
Blackwood
Gustavsson

What category would you rather the Leafs be in? You want them to sign or acquire one like the teams did in the second category?

What are we even talking about here?
The thing is how many picks do you have to spend to hit the lotto and find a good goalie and how many years will it take for them to develop into becoming not just a starter, but a really good goalie?

Also of the goalies you mentioned, Binnington hasn't been really great ever since the cup win. Skinner is decent at best and often inconsistent and lets in softies. Helle was awful in the playoffs this year and Oettinger was average to decent alot of the time that I saw him.

The point is even if you hit on a goalie, many are still pretty unpredictable. The really good goalies will usually be more consistently good and have fewer dips in their play, but the number of goalies who fall in that category are relatively few. To me goalies are too hard to predict unless they've shown themselves to be really good and are worth a pick on. Otherwise I'd just rather take more chances on forwards and Dmen instead.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
We already have enough. Seems like wasted picks drafting more when you can take some swings and draft more forwards/Dmen who have a better chance of potentially playing for the Leafs someday.
ye but we have 30 forward prospects in our system now, where are they all gonna play????

lets look at our best goalies we have drafted over the past 30ish years up until joseph woll(whos played like 30 games and cant stay on the ice)

eric fichaud(16th ovr pick)
doug bonner
jamie hodson
sergei rostev
vladimir kulikov
michael tellqvist
jan chovan
todd ford
the cant miss blue chip, chl goalie over the year, team gold medal winner as a the starting goalie...justin pogge.
tukka rask
james reimer
garret sparks
antoine bibeau

so thats what? 1 great starter and 1 backup in 13 picks, including a few blue chip goalie prospects.

goalies are voodoo, pick as many promising ones as u can, having great goalie prospects is NEVER a waste given its the most important position in the NHL.

Last edited:

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
FWIW, he is rated #5 among goalies by the Black Book with some pretty enthusiastic comments. Basically, he is described as raw but Uber talented.
We discussed him in our goalie podcast for those who are curious. This marks the fourth consecutive draft in which the Leafs have chosen one of our sleeper picks: Knies (2021), Grebyonkin & Hildeby (2022), and Cowan (2023).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad