Prospect Info: [2024 - 5th] Ivan Motherbleeping Demidov (RW), SKA St. Petersburg (MHL)

Next Best Thing

Oct 31, 2022
I don’t think Rottenberg is as much of a goof and a clown as people make him out to be. He gives his zero effort excuses regarding Demidov because he won’t get any serious pushback.

We’re talking about a roster decision that concerns the whole organization. President is also in on it. They’re doing what they’re doing to Demidov because it’s in their best self-interest.
Pushback from the inside you mean? Of course not, since obviously he has carte blanche to bury one of the brightest prospects they've seen since Kovalev to warming the bench. We already knew he gave zero shits and is just mocking reporters shamelessly.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
I don’t think Rottenberg is as much of a goof and a clown as people make him out to be. He gives his zero effort excuses regarding Demidov because he won’t get any serious pushback.

We’re talking about a roster decision that concerns the whole organization. President is also in on it. They’re doing what they’re doing to Demidov because it’s in their best self-interest.

It's in SKA's self-interest? What planet are you on?

If you haven't noticed, most elite players from next generations are staying away from SKA's schools. Elite guys (2006 born and onward) like Silayev, Ryabkin, Skvortsov, Limatov, Fyodorov, etc. are coming from elsewhere.

You think this is a coincidence?

Last edited:
Reactions: Gravity

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Pushback from the inside you mean? Of course not, since obviously he has carte blanche to bury one of the brightest prospects they've seen since Kovalev to warming the bench. We already knew he gave zero shits and is just mocking reporters shamelessly.
He gives zero shit. Reporters are his bitch… On a side note while I loved Kovalev especially watching his tremendous season with Plex and AKost, Demidov will be much better. It’s much worse than burying Kovalev. My 2 cents.

Reactions: Next Best Thing

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
It's in SKA's self-interest? What planet are you on?

If you haven't noticed, most all of the elite next generations players staying away from SKA's schools. Elite guys (2006 born an onward) like Silayev, Ryabkin, Skvortsov, Limatov, Fyodorov, etc. are coming from elsewhere.

You think this is a coincidence?
They have a potential cash cow on their hand. If they trade him or send him down they wont make money.

They make more cash now in a transfer than they will if he plays all season.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
They have a potential cash cow on their hand. If they trade him or send him down they wont make money.

They make more cash now in a transfer than they will if he plays all season.

Demidov is not a cash cow. Money is irrelevant to SKA.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Demidov is not a cash cow. Money is irrelevant to SKA.
I disagree with money is irrelevant to SKA.. They won’t live or die on a profit sure, but a quick influx of a few Million is huge. Until I see them throwing money on cheap trinkets, I’ll consider it part of the equation.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
I disagree with money is irrelevant to SKA.. They won’t live or die on a profit sure, but a quick influx of a few Million is huge. Until I see them throwing money on cheap trinkets, I’ll consider it part of the equation.

SKA just built the biggest hockey stadium in the world. We're talking about Gazprom here. A few million is completely irrelevant. SKA throws millions at players for 'bonuses' for heaven's sake. That's how they stay under the cap.

And what makes you think Demidov is worth a few million? No KHL team will pay that to obtain him just for the remainder of the year. SKA would undoubtedly want a player in return.

Last edited:

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
There could be a catch-22. It's good the media is finally calling Rotenberg out on it. But the more media scrutiny exists, the more he'll probably double down. At least IMHO.

In normal circumstances he'd probably trade Demidov midseason to get him ice time......like he's done with most other top end guys.

I've had it with RR clown show.
Yeah that is already happening imo. Dude doesn’t seem to take criticism well at all.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
SKA just built the biggest hockey stadium in the world. We're talking about Gazprom here. A few million is completely irrelevant. SKA throws millions at players for bonuses for heaven's sake. That's how they stay under the cap.

And what makes you think Demidov is worth a few million anyways? No KHL team will pay that to obtain him just for the remainder of the year.
SKA will like the Millions but it goes beyond that. Why does Gazprom own a hockey team: for goodwill. This goodwill is very valuable for Gazprom.

Assuming we’re back in the past or sometime in the future where there is a somewhat functional relationship with Russia, the Habs and the NHL are still indirect competitors with SKA and the KHL. Gazprom, SKA and even Rottenberg have a stake in the KHL giving a better product on the ice. The « Russian Factor » is good for the KHL in that less talent leaks out West. What better leverage is there than Demidov and the Habs to get their point across?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I saw a rumor that SKA is in talks to bring in Carter Hart in net.

Also I guess his brother was injured or sick as he was back in the lineup in the VHL on the line with Ivan's teammate from last year Romanov. A Romanov I.Demidov S.Demidov top line in the VHL playing 20 mins and PP1 would be kind of sick to watch vs 6 games in a row of 7 mins or less.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
SKA will like the Millions but it goes beyond that. Why does Gazprom own a hockey team: for goodwill. This goodwill is very valuable for Gazprom.

Assuming we’re back in the past or sometime in the future where there is a somewhat functional relationship with Russia, the Habs and the NHL are still indirect competitors with SKA and the KHL. Gazprom, SKA and even Rottenberg have a stake in the KHL giving a better product on the ice. The « Russian Factor » is good for the KHL in that less talent leaks out West. What better leverage is there than Demidov and the Habs to get their point across?

Wrong. The "Russian Factor" has always been the result of the KHL being a very lucrative alternative to the NHL for Russian players. That ceases to be the case if KHL teams treat players like SKA does Demidov. It's counter-productive. It's why youth players are starting to stay away from SKA.

Montreal is not the center of the universe. You're opinion that "SKA is holding Demidov hostage for Montreal money!!" is a fairy tale.
If there was any truth to this SKA wouldve done the same with countless other players. It's absurd.

Reactions: Walksss

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
SKA trying to make an example of Demidov and other prospects for wanting to leave their organization is sure to backfire.

Like @Zine said already the next generation is already staying away from SKA. They may not care though and just sign big name players with their huge internal budget but it's very stupid to handicap yourself in such a way.

If you want to make sure elite talent works to stay away from you this is absolutely the way to do it.

Reactions: Zine

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
The genesis of the problem is Rotenberg wanted SKA to simultaneously be a quasi-NTDP at youth level, and a high price juggernaut in KHL. He loaded up on both, but the two are totally incompatible.

Inevitably all these great young players got buried. In addition, add a vindictive and child of privilege attitude, and the end result makes most of Russian hockey laugh at the situation.

Last edited:

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
The genesis of the problem is Rotenberg wanted SKA to simultaneously be a quasi-NTDP at youth level, and a high price juggernaut in KHL. He loaded up on both, but the two are totally incompatible.

Inevitably all these great young players got buried. In addition, add a vindictive and child of privilege attitude, and the end result makes most of Russian hockey laugh at the situation.
I don’t believe that he’s so stupid to sit Demidov and thinks he’s helping his team. NO ONE is that dumb. I don’t believe any on-ice hockey reason he gives to sit him. Even a privileged pampered spoiled fickle child is not that dumb.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
I don’t believe that he’s so stupid to sit Demidov and thinks he’s helping his team. NO ONE is that dumb. I don’t believe any on-ice hockey reason he gives to sit him. Even a privileged pampered spoiled fickle child is not that dumb.

Then explain why the same situation has occurred with countless other youth players -- drafted and undrafted, with various contract lengths.

You have serious difficulty with the big picture. Demidov is not unique. A pattern of misuse exists with Rotenberg.

And if he is holding Demidov 'hostage' for the glory of the KHL, why only Demidov? Why not anybody else?
You said SKA would welcome the millions. Why not get millions for Nikishin (who is off to Carolina next year)? Shit, instead he named Nikishin captain.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad