Prospect Info: [2024 - 5th] Ivan Motherbleeping Demidov (RW), SKA St. Petersburg (MHL)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Not sure if there's anything to this but Ivan's older brother Semyon is off to a great start to the season as he leads his team in goals, tied for 2nd OA in the VHL in goals. He played 18:34 on Friday night, helped set up the OT winner, but he was not in today's lineup in the VHL. Could be an injury but could be a call up, here's him setting up the OT winner along with Ivan's linenmate from last year Romanov (#98).

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I was thinking about how when we went into the rebuild my thoughts were always that we needed to finish at the bottom two years running.
The Crosby Malkin or Toews Kane two headed monster that led to multiple cups.
I'm beginning to think we may have that with Slaf Demidov who can both end up being the class of their respective drafts.
Now we just have to get everything else those teams had. :laugh:
No elite 1C and no elite 1D = no contention.

You might be able to get away with missing one or the other, if you have exceptional depth and talent at all other positions, but you can’t get away with missing both.

People need to wake up to this fact. If the rebuild ends without the acquisition of at least one of those pieces, it was an utter failure. Unfortunately, that’s looking like a real possibility, unless a miracle or two happens.

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
They signed Tony DeAngelo with the SKA. I'm surprise no NHL team wanted to sign him. His horrible attitude on and off the ice ruined a great NHL career.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
No elite 1C and no elite 1D = no contention.

You might be able to get away with missing one or the other, if you have exceptional depth and talent at all other positions, but you can’t get away with missing both.

People need to wake up to this fact. If the rebuild ends without the acquisition of at least one of those pieces, it was an utter failure. Unfortunately, that’s looking like a real possibility, unless a miracle or two happens.

Suzuki may be a 1C yet, and we have not seen where Dach can go.

As far as a 1D, we’ll see but we do have a good pipeline.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Suzuki may be a 1C yet, and we have not seen where Dach can go.

As far as a 1D, we’ll see but we do have a good pipeline.
Suzuki is a 1C, just not the kind you win Cups with. Like I said, it could happen with what we have, but it’s going to take a couple miracles, for lack of a better term.

Let’s say:

•Suzuki continues to progress and becomes a 90-100 point C, for a few years, not just as a peak for one season.

•One of the young D becomes a legitimate all situations #1 two-way D - we’re talking at least top 15 in the league.

•Dach develops further and becomes a 70-80 point 2C.

At least one of the first two needs to happen, along with #3. I think we have the depth part covered. Even one of those happening is a long shot, let alone 2/3. 3/3 happening is basically a pipe dream.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gravity

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Suzuki is a 1C, just not the kind you win Cups with. Like I said, it could happen with what we have, but it’s going to take a couple miracles, for lack of a better term.

Let’s say:

•Suzuki continues to progress and becomes a 90-100 point C, for a few years, not just as a peak for one season.

•One of the young D becomes a legitimate all situations #1 two-way D - we’re talking at least top 15 in the league.

•Dach develops further and becomes a 70-80 point 2C.

At least one of the first two needs to happen, along with #3. I think we have the depth part covered. Even one of those happening is a long shot, let alone 2/3. 3/3 happening is basically a pipe dream.
We have no idea if Suzuki is not a 1C you win cups with lol. He’s on the trajectory of players like Kopitar, Toews, Bergeron or O’Reilly.

He may never get to their level, but he’s still very young…

Also, just for your education, how many 70-80 point 2Cs do you think there are in the NHL right now? My guess is somewhere around zero. Your comment suggests they’re common.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
We have no idea if Suzuki is not a 1C you win cups with lol.
We know he isn’t currently, which why I said he’ll need to improve significantly if he’s going to be that.
He’s on the trajectory of players like Kopitar, Toews, Bergeron or O’Reilly.
You may as well file that under the miracle category in my post above as #4. You just proved my point.
Also, just for your education, how many 70-80 point 2Cs do you think there are in the NHL right now? My guess is somewhere around zero. Your comment suggests they’re common.
I didn’t suggest that at all; I said we’ll need that if we’re going to be without either one of an elite 1C or an elite 1D. Also, just for your education, the number isn’t zero, so you guessed wrong.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
We know he isn’t currently, which why I said he’ll need to improve significantly if he’s going to be that.

You may as well file that under the miracle category in my post above as #4. You just proved my point.

I didn’t suggest that at all; I said we’ll need that if we’re going to be without either one of an elite 1C or an elite 1D. Also, just for your education, the number isn’t zero, so you guessed wrong.

None of what you’re saying as fact is anything other than an opinion lol.

How many teams have two centremen at 70-80 points? Amongst cup winners too?

Yeah it isn’t « 0 » but there weren’t even 24 centres with 70 points last year.

Surely you understood that before « educating » me.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
None of what you’re saying as fact is anything other than an opinion lol.

How many teams have two centremen at 70-80 points? Amongst cup winners too?

Yeah it isn’t « 0 » but there weren’t even 24 centres with 70 points last year.

Surely you understood that before « educating » me.
You’re missing the point, repeatedly.

I didn’t say we need a 70-80 point 2C. I said we will if we are going to be missing one of the other two more important pieces.

How many Cup winners are there that did not have a C better than Suzuki? The answer to that actually is zero. That isn’t opinion, that’s fact.

How many Cup winners are there that did not have a top flight D? I can think of just two in the cap era - the Penguins the year Letang was out, and the ‘06 Hurricanes. Coincidentally (or maybe not so much), both those teams just happened to have 70-80 point (or better) 2Cs.

Are you starting to get the picture yet, or do you need more educating?

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

I didn’t say we need a 70-80 point 2C. I said we will if we are going to be missing one of the other two more important pieces.

How many Cup winners are there that did not have a C better than Suzuki? The answer to that actually is zero. That isn’t opinion, that’s fact.

How many Cup winners are there that did not have a top flight D? I can think of just two in the cap era - the Penguins the year Letang was out, and the ‘06 Hurricanes. Coincidentally (or maybe not so much), both those teams just happened to have 70-80 point (or better) 2Cs.

There is no picture. Habs will be deeper at every position than probably all Cup winners. They may not have a McDavid etc but they will be much more solid top to bottom.

• Haha
Reactions: Garbageyuk

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

You aren’t painting a picture, you’re berating me with your false assumptions. Players can get better, Suzuki is not far from being one of the best centres in the NHL. I’m willing to be patient.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
You aren’t painting a picture, you’re berating me with your false assumptions.
What would those be?
Players can get better, Suzuki is not far from being one of the best centres in the NHL.
Yes, and like I’ve said repeatedly, he will have to be if he’s going to be the guy. And again, even he does get to that point, we will still need at least one of the other two things to happen.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
What would those be?

Yes, and like I’ve said repeatedly, he will have to be if he’s going to be the guy. And again, even he does get to that point, we will still need at least one of the other two things to happen.
How hard is it toi understand that if you have 3 centres around Suzuki level now (which will improve) Dach, Suzuki, Hage/Demidov, Kapanen that you don't necessarily need a McDavid.

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
How hard is it toi understand that if you have 3 centres around Suzuki level now (which will improve) Dach, Suzuki, Hage/Demidov, Kapanen that you don't necessarily need a McDavid.
Some people are just Pejorative Slured, you dont have to fuss over the stupid takes they come up with. Any sane person would know Suzuki, Dach, Hage (if he hits) is as good as it gets in terms of C depth (minus a team like EDM)

Mudz

3peat watch: 0/3
Sep 11, 2006
Montréal

The things you see some times. Suzuki went to the Stanley Cup finals as a 1C at 21 years old. Barkov took 2 attempts, I feel like we should give the benefit of a second chance.

Suzuki availability is ''elite''. Availibity is the best quality. How many 1C are also ironman? The guy dodged Covid like a ninja. (also his IQ, his shot)

And there's strong probabilities that Dach will be as good if not better from what we've seen so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad