Prospect Info: [2024 - 5th] Ivan Motherbleeping Demidov (RW), SKA St. Petersburg (MHL)

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Pretty sure this guy’s wrong. In another comment he refutes something that actually happens. Transfer fees exist and they are utilized to bring first round picked European prospects over — prospects like Leo Carlson. He says it doesn’t, he’s clearly wrong. He doesn’t know the rules.

This guy and Slava Malamud are not reliable or neutral interlocutors.

Reactions: TesseractPrice

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
Everytime we did this past has been massive mistake. And everytime posters on this board said this time it would be different. It never was. Kotkaniemi, Wickenheiser, Galchenyuk. Don't rush them and play with their confidence. Let them develop properly. Lafleur was 23 before he developed.

It looked it worked for Slafkovsky and signing Reinbacher and playing him in Laval would have been the better choice too. There's something to be said about having control over a player's deployment. I'd even say the Reinbacher experiment of last season soured Hughes quite a bit on the whole business of trusting other professional teams with the Habs biggest assets

Also, the Habs could chose to go a similar route to what was chosen for Leo Carlsson last season; have him in the NHL, but rest him more as the season goes on to keep him fresh. That's what I would do if I could chose: play him 50-60 games with some rest inbetween and more emphasis on some physical training while spending the whole season on the Habs

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
Can’t wait for Demidov to come over this year after Geoff pays a handsome transfer fee, then when Ivan doesn’t immediately start as the #1 LW/RW these boards will be going ballistic that we are ruining an unruinable prospect :sarcasm:

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
i don't understand why Mitchkov could be here next season and not Demidov. What's the difference?

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
2be0a37240c4d7ef462066748b6c64bb.gif

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
It'd be cool to know what exactly happened between the Flyers and SKA, it's still very nebulous. Unless I missed it.
Despite people saying it's not that, Michkov being loaned is the only thing that makes sense. He can't even buy back his contract since only the last year can be bought back by players per KHL rules.

Pretty sure this guy’s wrong. In another comment he refutes something that actually happens. Transfer fees exist and they are utilized to bring first round picked European prospects over — prospects like Leo Carlson. He says it doesn’t, he’s clearly wrong. He doesn’t know the rules.

The Minor league/IIHF/Europe league transfer agreement are considered to be part of the CBA. The KHL has no such aggreement.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Reactions: Goldthorpe

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
The Minor league/IIHF/Europe league transfer agreement are considered to be part of the CBA. The KHL has no such aggreement.
Szemberg seems to deny that the NHL allows teams to pay transfer fees. He’s either misinformed or he is so anti-Russian he allows it to get in the way of his “work”. He’s therefore worthless.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

I don't think there's any agreement between the NHL and KHL other than respecting the contracts. I could be wrong but i'm almost certain demidov could negotiate with SKA to have his contract resiliated like Kuznetsov did with the canes. Demidov might have to pay an exit fee but that's something the ch and demidov can deal with behind closed doors.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Everytime we did this past has been massive mistake. And everytime posters on this board said this time it would be different. It never was. Kotkaniemi, Wickenheiser, Galchenyuk. Don't rush them and play with their confidence. Let them develop properly. Lafleur was 23 before he developed.
Bringing Demidov in NA instead of letting him play in the VHL would not be rushing him. The VHL is a weak league and he would be wasting his time there considering how he was dominant in the MHL. There's only 3 leagues Demidov should play in during the 2024-25 season and those leagues are NHL, KHL or AHL. At least in the AHL he would get NA experience on smaller ice. In the VHL he would be wasting his time.

Last edited:

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax

I certainly don't know all the specific details on a league by league basis but the difference is the NHL has explicit transfer agreements with other European pro leagues and the CHL that are part of the CBA. Leo Carlsson was just a standard transfer fee paid based on the NHL's agreement with the Swedish hockey association, NHL teams can't otherwise individually negotiate or pay transfer fees outside the CBA.

It's not something the teams negotiate for each player either, there's just a set number based on factors like draft position and signing date outlined in their agreements with the individual European leagues and/or national hockey associations. It's all a defined above board process for the other leagues, while the NHL and KHL haven't had any formal relations after the NHL cancelled their MOU in 2022 and there was no transfer agreement with the KHL pre-2022 either.

There is speculation that the rules may have recently changed with the KHL splitting from the Russian hockey federation and that the Flyers may have paid to break Michkov's contract. I have no idea if that's true or not, but if it is now possible for NHL clubs to pay transfer fees to break KHL contracts that's a very recent change.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I don't think there's any agreement between the NHL and KHL other than respecting the contracts. I could be wrong but i'm almost certain demidov could negotiate with SKA to have his contract resiliated like Kuznetsov did with the canes. Demidov might have to pay an exit fee but that's something the ch and demidov can deal with behind closed doors.
I’m sure there’s a clear and simple answer but I simply don’t trust, let’s call them, geopolitically motivated people whenever they talk about anything Russian these days. This guy is dripping with partisanship in which I’m simply not interested.

Michkov came over from Russia, Leo Carlson came over from Sweden, and Demidov can come over — either for a fee or with a buyout or whatever. A good reporter would find out what happened with Michkov and what can happen with Demidov instead of ranting about “Putin’s cronies” I mean, who cares at this point.

HuGo boss

Apr 7, 2022
Couldn't Demidov get a sponsorship ( restaurant or hockey sticks etc) in mtl and buy out his own contract? Or is that against the rules as well ?

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I certainly don't know all the specific details on a league by league basis but the difference is the NHL has explicit transfer agreements with other European pro leagues and the CHL that are part of the CBA. Leo Carlsson was just a standard transfer fee paid based on the NHL's agreement with the Swedish hockey association, NHL teams can't otherwise individually negotiate or pay transfer fees outside the CBA.
Yes and Szemberg, in another tweet, said this doesn’t exist. Which throws his credibility into the gutter.
It's not something the teams negotiate for each player either, there's just a set number based on factors like draft position and signing date outlined in their agreements with the individual European leagues and/or national hockey associations. It's all a defined above board process for the other leagues, while the NHL and KHL haven't had any formal relations after the NHL cancelled their MOU in 2022 and there was no transfer agreement with the KHL pre-2022 either.
Yes I’m aware — I think the KHL and NHL couldn’t come to terms on the fee. KHL wanted variable to-be-negotiated fees (like with the soccer market) and the NHL wanted a flat fee.
There is speculation that the rules may have recently changed with the KHL splitting from the Russian hockey federation and that the Flyers may have paid to break Michkov's contract. I have no idea if that's true or not, but if it is now possible for NHL clubs to pay transfer fees to break KHL contracts that's a very recent change.
A decent reporter would figure this out in like one hour. We do not have decent reporters.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
I’m sure there’s a clear and simple answer but I simply don’t trust, let’s call them, geopolitically motivated people whenever they talk about anything Russian these days. This guy is dripping with partisanship in which I’m simply not interested.

Michkov came over from Russia, Leo Carlson came over from Sweden, and Demidov can come over — either for a fee or with a buyout or whatever. A good reporter would find out what happened with Michkov and what can happen with Demidov instead of ranting about “Putin’s cronies” I mean, who cares at this point.
When you’re arguing with non-Russians about Russia, remember that you’re arguing with the TV and the TV can’t hear you

Last edited:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Couldn't Demidov get a sponsorship ( restaurant or hockey sticks etc) in mtl and buy out his own contract? Or is that against the rules as well ?
Not sure there's a rule about a player buying his contract out in the KHL. Anyway not one that i heard of. But a contract can always be terminated as long as both party agree (see Michkov and Kuznetsov). If SKA doesn't plan to use Demidov this year and they already agreed to terminate Michkov's contract i don't see why they would act differently with Demidov.

Reactions: HuGo boss

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad