Prospect Info: [2024 - 5th] Ivan Motherbleeping Demidov (RW), SKA St. Petersburg (MHL)

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
From what I’ve heard Orr’s major knee surgeries in the seventies would be non-invasive and treatable today. Maybe someone with more knowledge could confirm… Don Cherry who coached him in Boston said that Orr’s skating mechanics (that made him change direction on a dime) is what inevitably caused his knee problems. Demidov’s twists and turns are a lot with the 10-2 so it might not put as much stress on his knees.
The one thing that concerns me with his 10-2 (wide) stride is that with how fast things happen in the NHL, a pos like Kreider would be chomping at the bits to take out one of Demidov's knees while making it look accidental. I hope I'm wrong....

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
How reliable is this source?

Stu Cowan of The Montreal Gazette is reporting it too.

1000000476.jpg

I wish they would just go ahead and do this. I can't imagine Demidov is going to get real playing time over there.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

View attachment 896375

I wish they would just go ahead and do this. I can't imagine Demidov is going to get real playing time over there.

I think all this was obvious after KH's comment after he drafted him but even if he makes the team....will he get 5-7-10-15 minutes a night, offensive or bottom 6 role, play every night or get healthy scratches half the time.

I also say, just do it.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021

View attachment 896375

Up to recently, I understood Demidov would need to raise the money himself. Maybe the NHL turns a blind eye (because SKA and the KHL will take the money in a half-second, the problem is always on the NHL side). But I know Molson will make a ton of money if he comes over now. And Demidov can probably underwrite the loan just on sponsorship money he’ll get in Canada.

Reactions: overlords

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Up to recently, I understood Demidov would need to raise the money himself. Maybe the NHL turns a blind eye (because SKA and the KHL will take the money in a half-second, the problem is always on the NHL side). But I know Molson will make a ton of money if he comes over now. And Demidov can probably underwrite the loan just on sponsorship money he’ll get in Canada.

I believe the NHL just recently changed the rules. I imagine Philadelphia and Carolina have petitioned heavily for it, as both have significant prospects in Russia (and not just Michkov for Flyers). Prior teams weren't allowed to pay anything to Russian teams to get a prospect out of Russia. The player had to buy out his own contract, or come over when his Russian contract was over.

Now, NHL teams are allowed to negotiate a transfer fee, and KHL will release players under contract under European guidelines. If the player makes the NHL team, he can stay. If he doesn't, he goes back to Russia.

Technically, Montreal can pay a transfer fee for Demidov to come this year, sign him to an ELC , and if he isn't ready for NHL return him to KHL.

There seems to be a thawing of the relationship between NHL and KHL.

Mudz

3peat watch: 0/3
Sep 11, 2006
Montréal
How reliable is this source?
He's 20 years old with a brocoli hair cut. Also started a podcast and needed something to go viral.
rules have changed. it's like soccer now

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

View attachment 896375

They have to be real careful not to piss his KHL team off, as the entire thing is pretty much under their control since Demidov does have a valid contract with them. The Habs probably won't make an official move until it's clear he won't start the season with the big team. Doesn't mean there haven't already started having informal conversations about it , though.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Doesn't matter. A 30 team league simply means the talent is watered down. In a six team league you're playing against superstars every night. If it's not Rocket Richard, it's Bobby Hull. If not Hull then it's Gordie Howe. If not Howe then you're playing Red Kelly. Every night it's the best players in the world.

If you're going to chuck out 6 team leagues as being inferior, then I don't know why Rocket Richard would be in your top players. He played at the same time Harvey did. And Harvey was every bit the player Richard was. It's really, really close between them. Might as well put Stephane Richer over Richard because he played in a 25 team league too. Would Wayne Gretzky be the best player in the world in a 30 team league vs a six team league? It wouldn't matter. He'd be the best no matter how many teams there were.

Chris Chelios is a great blueliner. HOFer. But he doesn't come close to Doug Harvey.
My Grandfather always said Harvey was the greatest hockey player he’d ever seen, he passed in ‘96.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
If he comes to NA this season, putting him in the NHL right away would be pretty stupid. Let him play some games in Laval before.

The MHL straight to the NHL would be beyond stupid. I know he’s good, but be careful.

At least Slaf had 80-something games against men before his rookie season.

Reactions: JurequeparJuraj

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Everytime we did this past has been massive mistake. And everytime posters on this board said this time it would be different. It never was. Kotkaniemi, Wickenheiser, Galchenyuk. Don't rush them and play with their confidence. Let them develop properly. Lafleur was 23 before he developed.
Starting in the ahl makes sense to me. As for your examples, i think Demidov is much more dynamic then them. Plus, I trust the new management staff a hell of a lot more than the KK and Chucky days. Not to mention, both are head cases and should share at least half the blame for how they turned out.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I think all this was obvious after KH's comment after he drafted him but even if he makes the team....will he get 5-7-10-15 minutes a night, offensive or bottom 6 role, play every night or get healthy scratches half the time.

I also say, just do it.

Everytime we did this past has been massive mistake. And everytime posters on this board said this time it would be different. It never was. Kotkaniemi, Wickenheiser, Galchenyuk. Don't rush them and play with their confidence. Let them develop properly. Lafleur was 23 before he developed.
My guess is they'd prefer not to bring him over if at all possible.
Now is not the time to rush this Kid one more year of growth and strength training would be good.

These rookies all played in their draft year and all missed time.
Slaf 43 games dropped Fantilli 33 games dropped Bedard 14 games dropped.

It is a risk.
He's not as physically put together as a couple of those guys.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Richard was generational

Two players have better goals per game ratios in the playoffs (who played at least 50 playoffs games) than Maurice Richard, it's Mario Lemieux and Mike Bossy. Now factor in the era they played...

Now add to this the 500+ regular season goals and the 50 goals in 50 gp record that stayed for 36 years. 14 all-star, Hart, 8 stanley cups, Team Captain, 5 retroactive Maurice Richard trophies.

Sidney Crosby is generational, but you could argue that the difference between him/his career and Beliveau and Joe Sakic is not that big.
Let's end the old time Hab discussion here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad