Prospect Info: [2024 - 5th] Ivan Motherbleeping Demidov (RW), SKA St. Petersburg (MHL)

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Demidov combined with Slaf and Reinbacher is a very good start for Hughes and his top 5 picks. He's added many other things but these 3 are important pieces. Hutson as well.

Yeah, Demidov! I'm trying not to be too happy and just watch him develop... without setting a high bar so early on.
Here is a question for you- maybe you can answer this- if his team in Russia won't promote him to the KHL then why not the VHL? I assume the VHL is similar to what the AHL would be in NA. Habs last Russian pick in this years draft played in the VHL....

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Here is a question for you- maybe you can answer this- if his team in Russia won't promote him to the KHL then why not the VHL? I assume the VHL is similar to what the AHL would be in NA. Habs last Russian pick in this years draft played in the VHL....

Not sure what they will do and how much influence Hughes has. If he doesn't make the KHL, I suspect they put him on load to another KHL team (like Michkov).

However, Demidov has one more year left so why mess with him if he is not good enough to help their team this year? If they feel is not good enough for KHL, release him like Michkov.

I do think he makes the KHL roster though. At what role? No idea. Doubt the VHL or MHL are good options for his talent/development at this stage. He needs to get in this next level of challenge against men.

Read this article. I think it's debatable if the VHL is as good or competitive as the AHL.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
What did you think of Andrei Kostitsyn as a prospect?
He killed at the WJC. He was an extremely good skater. He had a heavy shot. Very good passer technically. Motor was always going. He also hit like a truck for a skilled guy. So lots of tools. Unsure about his vision. Questions about his decision-making. We knew he had epilepsy.

Last edited:

Leto

The Conciliator
Feb 16, 2023
Urth
Not sure what they will do and how much influence Hughes has. If he doesn't make the KHL, I suspect they put him on load to another KHL team (like Michkov).

However, Demidov has one more year left so why mess with him if he is not good enough to help their team this year? If they feel is not good enough for KHL, release him like Michkov.

I do think he makes the KHL roster though. At what role? No idea. Doubt the VHL or MHL are good options for his talent/development at this stage

They cannot. There is a rule that you cannot loan a player on the final year of his deal. That being said, they could trade him to another KHL team that would be willing to have him on the roster.​

Leto

The Conciliator
Feb 16, 2023
Urth
Interesting rule.

I think he makes the KHL team. I'll put 90% odds on that.

It kinda makes you wish that he would be playing for a team like the Torpedo. Larionov doesn't seem to hesitate to play young players, plus Martin Lapointe is well connected with Larionov.

EddyK

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2004
Edmonton
Not sure if you allow links to other sites but this scouting report is one of the most comprehensive one of Demidov and gives you a perspective of his skills including skating, stickhandling, IQ, physicality, and pro projection:

Mods, please delete and/or let me know if I broke any hfboards rules that I am not aware.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
It kinda makes you wish that he would be playing for a team like the Torpedo. Larionov doesn't seem to hesitate to play young players, plus Martin Lapointe is well connected with Larionov.
SKA captain last season was 22 years old Nikishin, we can't really say they don't play young players.

In Demidov's case, he got sidelined with a knee injury early in the season. I think that might have had more impact on him playing most of the season in the MHL than being punished for not extending. And he got more ice time in the MHL than he would have gotten in the KHL (or VHL).

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

I do think he makes the KHL roster though. At what role? No idea. Doubt the VHL or MHL are good options for his talent/development at this stage. He needs to get in this next level of challenge against men.

Read this article. I think it's debatable if the VHL is as good or competitive as the AHL.
Thanks for the reply and info.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Not sure if you allow links to other sites but this scouting report is one of the most comprehensive one of Demidov and gives you a perspective of his skills including skating, stickhandling, IQ, physicality, and pro projection:

Mods, please delete and/or let me know if I broke any hfboards rules that I am not aware.

Thanks for this, it's a great read! I especially liked the pro projection.

Pro Projection:

While he doesn’t have the skating that Jack Hughes had, he’s still a great projection and comparable. A smaller but nimble player who isn’t afraid to get involved on the rush, around the boards, or in transition. Demidov’s offensive upside is similar as well – like Hughes, the defense isn’t the best, but he’s able to run an entire offense both on the wing and playing center. He’s creative to a fault, has a great set of hands, and the toolkit to be a consistent top 5 player at his position in the NHL. Pro projections are always hard because you can never guarantee how a player will turn out, whether they’re undrafted or a #1OA, but Demidov is truly all but a sure thing. His creativity rivals players like Nikita Kucherov and Mitch Marner in their ability to think ahead of where the play is, his handling rivals Kane and Datysuk, his defensive play is above average for a winger, he has a great shot comparable to players like Matt Tkachuk, and is a bitch to get off the puck. Even when Demidov is literally on the ground, he’s consistently able to hold possession and find a play with no room left. With a toolkit like his, decent size at an estimated 6ft, there should be no reservations that Demidov should succeed at the next level. Most scouts see his floor around 65-70 points, and his ceiling closer to 120. I stand by the Jack Hughes comp I made earlier. While they differ in skating, they play very similar games, and should expect similar success at the next level.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016

Pro Projection:

While he doesn’t have the skating that Jack Hughes had, he’s still a great projection and comparable. A smaller but nimble player who isn’t afraid to get involved on the rush, around the boards, or in transition. Demidov’s offensive upside is similar as well – like Hughes, the defense isn’t the best, but he’s able to run an entire offense both on the wing and playing center. He’s creative to a fault, has a great set of hands, and the toolkit to be a consistent top 5 player at his position in the NHL. Pro projections are always hard because you can never guarantee how a player will turn out, whether they’re undrafted or a #1OA, but Demidov is truly all but a sure thing. His creativity rivals players like Nikita Kucherov and Mitch Marner in their ability to think ahead of where the play is, his handling rivals Kane and Datysuk, his defensive play is above average for a winger, he has a great shot comparable to players like Matt Tkachuk, and is a bitch to get off the puck. Even when Demidov is literally on the ground, he’s consistently able to hold possession and find a play with no room left. With a toolkit like his, decent size at an estimated 6ft, there should be no reservations that Demidov should succeed at the next level. Most scouts see his floor around 65-70 points, and his ceiling closer to 120. I stand by the Jack Hughes comp I made earlier. While they differ in skating, they play very similar games, and should expect similar success at the next level.

It says smaller but it's very possible that by training camp next year, he's 6'1 200 lbs

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
Why do Russian players only compared to other Russians? Any other comparisons? He said Jack Hughes. I know it’s kind of useless but I like to see any other comparisons people might have. From the highlights I’ve seen I would say someone like Marian Hossa in his prime but a better passer

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022

Pro Projection:

Isn’t he 6’1? Not small

Leto

The Conciliator
Feb 16, 2023
Urth
Why do Russian players only compared to other Russians? Any other comparisons? He said Jack Hughes. I know it’s kind of useless but I like to see any other comparisons people might have. From the highlights I’ve seen I would say someone like Marian Hossa in his prime but a better passer

It's a bias that is not limited to Russians. Take Leo Carlsson, he is compared to Mats Sundin. Furthermore, comparing prospects coming from the same development systems (CHL, USHL-NCAA,MHL/VHL/KHL,Liiga,SHL,etc) is easier in terms of comparing apples to apples.​

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
It's a bias that is not limited to Russians. Take Leo Carlsson, he is compared to Mats Sundin. Furthermore, comparing prospects coming from the same development systems (CHL, NCAA,etc) is easier in terms of comparing apples to apples.​
I get it. Just seems lazy lol but it makes sense for sure

Reactions: Leto

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
He plays like Bobby Orr using his edges for the spins, twists and turns.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It says smaller but it's very possible that by training camp next year, he's 6'1 200 lbs

Yup, new information has come out and he's not on the smaller side at all. Doubt he is going to be a physical type but he won't get pushed around.

The next thing to evaluate is does he like the contact or does he hate it. Others can try to tell me what they see but it's just too early to know. Got to see him play against men and with less time/space than the MHL. Then we will have a better idea.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad