Prospect Info: [2024 - 5th] Ivan Motherbleeping Demidov (RW), SKA St. Petersburg (MHL)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Leto

The Conciliator
Feb 16, 2023
Urth
Watched Basu and Godin podcast of Saturday and they talked about how there was chatter that this year there was stuff going on in Russia and problems bringing kids over, and that this was believed to have been leaked by a team to turn others off Demidov. And suspicion this was Habs. And then Habs didn't go see Demidov in the Florida combine or whatever it was , so it looked like they lacked interest. And then the Buium rumours at the last.

Any bits of information about this stuff ? And do you think Habs really pulled off all this stuff?

The information came out by Friedman on the 32Thoughts Podcast :

Reactions: bopeep and yianik

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Watched Basu and Godin podcast of Saturday and they talked about how there was chatter that this year there was stuff going on in Russia and problems bringing kids over, and that this was believed to have been leaked by a team to turn others off Demidov. And suspicion this was Habs. And then Habs didn't go see Demidov in the Florida combine or whatever it was , so it looked like they lacked interest. And then the Buium rumours at the last.

Any bits of information about this stuff ? And do you think Habs really pulled off all this stuff?

I can 100% believe the Habs playing some games (not seeing Demidov in Florida, implying interest in Buium) but I don’t think they would had “leaked” info about problems bringing kids over. I mean, any team with a competent scouting staff would have their own info on that and call bullshit.

Maybe the Habs suggested that and some lazy scouts and reporters just ran with it and didn’t fact check, but that’s on them. In that case, well done HuGo but SMH at anyone else for believing that. Especially with Michkov confirmed well before the draft.

Reactions: tazsub3 and yianik

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I'm listening.

Unlike the pure playmakers, Datsyuk, Panarin - Demidov attacks the weak defender head on and challenge him to make an error. Datsyuk would instead keep the puck for the sake of keeping it (there was obviously an advantage in doing so in terms of making the adversary waste some energy). The pure playmakers play the possession and try to find holes, Demidov does that while applying pressure in ways that makes the opposition move - ie. his puck possession is not for the sake of it, he's constantly applying what looks like calculated forward pressure. These patterns haven't been seen since Fedorov. Demidov and Fedorov want something to happen soon - Datsyuk/Panarin want something to happen at all.

This isn't Kovalev at all, Kovalev was mostly aimless in game strategy. He could either use his shot or he didn't have much vision past the first 2-3 obvious gap moves. There is a chess-like calculator starting the moment Demidov touch the puck, he's steps ahead in thinking, he's making specific defenders commit.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I can 100% believe the Habs playing some games (not seeing Demidov in Florida, implying interest in Buium) but I don’t think they would had “leaked” info about problems bringing kids over. I mean, any team with a competent scouting staff would have their own info on that and call bullshit.

Maybe the Habs suggested that and some lazy scouts and reporters just ran with it and didn’t fact check, but that’s on them. In that case, well done HuGo but SMH at anyone else for believing that. Especially with Michkov confirmed well before the draft.
( Dis ) information plays on people's fears , especially if they have doubts and insecurities. No better place to see that than on this Board. Habs don't go to the Russian combine it just doesn't make sense, unless they have no interest. And then the Buium rumours hit home here.

I think even NHL teams can be tripped up by this stuff. The good one I think was not going to the combine and also the rumours that Habs want to be on hands with development and that isn't happening with Russian kids in Russia.

Not sure what the effect is on other teams, but it sure as heck puts us through it.

Lots of fun.

Reactions: sandviper

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
The information came out by Friedman on the 32Thoughts Podcast :

Kent Hughes, ex agent. That's totally normal that he can lie. Looks at Darnell Nurse contract. He have lied to Edmonton. He said to them "Nurse is a fantastic D-man" and that's not really that. 9,25 for this shit lol.

Hughes COOKING !!

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
( Dis ) information plays on people's fears , especially if they have doubts and insecurities. No better place to see that than on this Board. Habs don't go to the Russian combine it just doesn't make sense, unless they have no interest. And then the Buium rumours hit home here.

I think even NHL teams can be tripped up by this stuff. The good one I think was not going to the combine and also the rumours that Habs want to be on hands with development and that isn't happening with Russian kids in Russia.

Not sure what the effect is on other teams, but it sure as heck puts us through it.

Lots of fun.
You are correct and I would add that all the league knows nb father position in russia , so any doubt the habs show , would be interpreted as inside info and not disinformation ….
Such maneuvers usually work once and damn did the habs use it at the right time

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
His ass is gonna cook in Russia for 1 year.

Let's see what his ass can do in the big boy Russian league...

Maybe he is going to be in MHL. But it's ok for me. MHL isn't that bad, I'd prefer him play big minutes than little minute in KHL.

MHL is in the same tier of OHL, WHL, USHL... not that bad!

Reactions: River Meadow

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Maybe he is going to be in MHL. But it's ok for me. MHL isn't that bad, I'd prefer him play big minutes than little minute in KHL.

MHL is in the same tier of OHL, WHL, USHL... not that bad!

I also don't mind at all what league it is.

I just think, because of how much he talked about wanting to be the best, and being inspired by Kobe Bryant, etc.. he would want to really shine in the KHL, because he has already conquered the MHL.

Reactions: KevSkillz4

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I also don't mind at all what league it is.

I just think, because of how much he talked about wanting to be the best, and being inspired by Kobe Bryant, etc.. he would want to really shine in the KHL, because he has already conquered the MHL.

Me too, I want to see him play really well against man. But it's not the end of the world to me. Bobrov have contacts and can do the best thing for the next year for Demidov.

I'm totally confident that after that year, Demidov will play his rookie season with Habs and shine at this his first year. This guy have so much hockey IQ.

Just talking about Demidov and he is a Habs, I'm so happy man!

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I watched ‘’on jase’’ the day after the draft and they were talking about when Demidov will arrive ect, and they spoke about him going to LAVAL for a bit.

Lol i don’t think they know who they just drafted.
Clearly don't

It's beyond obvious it's 1 more year over there, and then October 2025 he's on the Habs at 19

And it's not Michel Therrien coaching anymore
Marty ain't putting this kid 4th line wing

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I watched ‘’on jase’’ the day after the draft and they were talking about when Demidov will arrive ect, and they spoke about him going to LAVAL for a bit.

As some people keep repeating, had Demidov been playing in NA last season, he would have been a consensus #2 if not #1 this draft year.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004

Assuming Demidov is about the same as Galchenyuk, Kotkaniemi and Slafkovsky who played in NHL right away after being drafted (D+1), then there's no way that Demidov will start in Laval in his D+2.

Reactions: Gally11

Pacciosoftie

Curved Dach
Oct 26, 2017
When Celine said the words "Ivan Demidov". She instantly became the hottest woman on the planet IMO lol
1719843591462.jpeg

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
His passing and vision are a 10/10, Slaf and Nick are going to be in good hands, but what to do with Cole now? 8+ mill for a second line winger if Demidov lives up to expectations and Slaf can play either wing? Does this still work out for Cole?
I think they’ll be interchangeable. I always thought CC would work really well with Dach. You can mix up the top six for different looks. I think everyone of them should play with everyone else. Nobody has to be glued to anyone else. Slaf and Dach for example would be unstoppable. Two huge puck possession players… awesome.

My concern on CC is the shoulder. But if he returns to form, he’s a legit star bordering on superstar. It should’ve been a career year last season. Now we have to wait to see if his shooting can come back. If it does and he plays with Dach, we’ll have two first lines.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Unlike the pure playmakers, Datsyuk, Panarin - Demidov attacks the weak defender head on and challenge him to make an error. Datsyuk would instead keep the puck for the sake of keeping it (there was obviously an advantage in doing so in terms of making the adversary waste some energy). The pure playmakers play the possession and try to find holes, Demidov does that while applying pressure in ways that makes the opposition move - ie. his puck possession is not for the sake of it, he's constantly applying what looks like calculated forward pressure. These patterns haven't been seen since Fedorov. Demidov and Fedorov want something to happen soon - Datsyuk/Panarin want something to happen at all.

This isn't Kovalev at all, Kovalev was mostly aimless in game strategy. He could either use his shot or he didn't have much vision past the first 2-3 obvious gap moves. There is a chess-like calculator starting the moment Demidov touch the puck, he's steps ahead in thinking, he's making specific defenders commit.

Great synopsis. A few things I noticed when "scouting" him this year. He is willing to go into dirty areas weirdly enough. He's like a hound looking for his bone (that being the puck). He doesn't wait for things to happen, he puts it into his own hands to make things happen kind of like you eluded to. One problem I have with highly skilled players is they're almost too skilled for their own good. They depend on it too much. And demidov has his moments that end up in turnovers. But he uses his teammates so well and his off puck positioning is phenomenal. His use of positioning extends even moreso to opposition positioning. He's so savvy with using screens to his benefit. His game is so translatable, it's crazy

Reactions: hebe and SOLR

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I think they’ll be interchangeable. I always thought CC would work really well with Dach. You can mix up the top six for different looks. I think everyone of them should play with everyone else. Nobody has to be glued to anyone else. Slaf and Dach for example would be unstoppable. Two huge puck possession players… awesome.

My concern on CC is the shoulder. But if he returns to form, he’s a legit star bordering on superstar. It should’ve been a career year last season. Now we have to wait to see if his shooting can come back. If it does and he plays with Dach, we’ll have two first lines.

I can easily see:

Slaf - Dach - Demidov.
Roy//Hage//Newhook - Suzuki - Caufield.

Two big two-way beast guy with a player like Ivan Demidov, that will be beautiful to watch!

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

This recent reporting is a f***ing joke.
Teams had every opportunity to rate Demidov just like they did with Michkov. LMFAO

If you are being swayed off your selection because of some vague rumor you are in the wrong business.
Such a NON STORY being hyped because the Habs landed him. Teams lie before the draft NO f***ING SHIT.
There was a combine in Florida and everyone came away impressed but they are trying to lend credence to this story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad