Prospect Info: 2024 - #50 OA - LW Nikita Artamonov

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I didn't see any weekness on his skating to be honest. I would say slightly above average for the speed. The element that surprised me the most was that he was always moving. I find him really evasive. He didn't hit a lot but he went in the traffic and didn't shy away.

His style of play kind of reminded me of Arturi Lekhonen.
I was thinking Guentzel type of player.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
damn he's giving a kid who's 18 a 99% chance of becoming an NHLer and 85% chance of becoming a Star? That's some pretty lofty predictions but that'd be forking amazing if he's the real deal that way
Here's the thing

That was pre-draft, so this production this year is helping him back up what he claimed in the spring.

Could be an all-time draft steal if this pans out like it looks

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He didn’t show this level of offense before. He was a high floor, low ceiling kind of prospect before this. I don’t know that it’s changed that much. Watching his highlights it’s the motor that’s driving this not the skill. He’s out working people, which is why he’s a great prospect for us and Rod. His shot wasn’t considered very strong and while it’s improving you have to remember he’s not shooting on high end goalies generally. The KHL has dropped in skill since the war started and the Euros left. Makes it even tougher to judge if someone’s doing something really outstanding there or not, and it was tough enough to tell before. He’s clearly becoming the cream of the crop over there but it’s the motor that’s the calling card for over here. We won’t know about the skill until he’s here.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
He didn’t show this level of offense before. He was a high floor, low ceiling kind of prospect before this. I don’t know that it’s changed that much. Watching his highlights it’s the motor that’s driving this not the skill. He’s out working people, which is why he’s a great prospect for us and Rod. His shot wasn’t considered very strong and while it’s improving you have to remember he’s not shooting on high end goalies generally. The KHL has dropped in skill since the war started and the Euros left. Makes it even tougher to judge if someone’s doing something really outstanding there or not, and it was tough enough to tell before. He’s clearly becoming the cream of the crop over there but it’s the motor that’s the calling card for over here. We won’t know about the skill until he’s here.

into the air, i hope

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
:laugh: My bad, he’s the third coming of Babs….the warrior poet once prophecized would follow the sighting of an ancient comet. He’s 1/3 Cam Neely, 1/3 Pavel Bure, 1/3 Chuck Norris and he’s coming to steal the souls of our enemies. Martinook will start whispering “Baba Yaga” into the ears of opponents while lined up next them for draws, and they will know him from the trail of dead….

Ps…my bad we already used all those for Nikishin. I’ll come up with some new ones!

Last edited:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
:laugh: My bad, he’s the third coming of Babs….the warrior poet once prophecized would follow the sighting of an ancient comet. He’s 1/3 Cam Neely, 1/3 Pavel Bure, 1/3 Chuck Norris and he’s coming to steal the souls of our enemies. Martinook will start whispering “Baba Yaga” into the ears of opponents while lined up next them for draws, and they will know him from the trail of dead….
So you've just read the pro-scouting groups report? Nice.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I dunno, the guys is off to a heater of a start and I don't think we need to wet blanket it. Like I said, who knows what it all means, but you'd be hard pressed to ask him to do much more in the 4 months since we've drafted him.

Here's what I'll say, if this guy is the next Russian star forward, this is what the trajectory would look like.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I dunno, the guys is off to a heater of a start and I don't think we need to wet blanket it. Like I said, who knows what it all means, but you'd be hard pressed to ask him to do much more in the 4 months since we've drafted him.

Here's what I'll say, if this guy is the next Russian star forward, this is what the trajectory would look like.
I had no intention of being a wet blanket and have said multiple times I’m a big fan of the pick, when we took him and now as well. I agree with everything you say.

Reactions: DaveG

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

I mean I get the desire to temper expectations for him, and he could be on a heater.... But its also worth pointing out that some people who are keyed in on Euro talent were extremely high on him before the draft (with at least one being on record during the draft saying he Arty was the 3rd best player in the entire draft class), and all he's done since is play like one of the best players in the world outside of the NHL.

Certainly a situation worth keeping you eye on, and not unrealistic to get pretty excited over, even if he's at a minimum 3 years out due to his KHL contract.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I mean I get the desire to temper expectations for him, and he could be on a heater.... But its also worth pointing out that some people who are keyed in on Euro talent were extremely high on him before the draft (with at least one being on record during the draft saying he Arty was the 3rd best player in the entire draft class), and all he's done since is play like one of the best players in the world outside of the NHL.

Certainly a situation worth keeping you eye on, and not unrealistic to get pretty excited over, even if he's at a minimum 3 years out due to his KHL contract.
I get this feeling too, I think we legit snuck in another Aho level of talent in the 2nd.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I flat out don't get the Kucherov comparison at all. Kucherov is a better passer than any other player who has ever played a game for the sightless eye. That's no slight on Francis, Stillman, Ray Whitney, and the other skilled players we have had over the years. Kucherov is just that good at finding seams and lasering rocket passes to open men. Watch even just the highlights of Artamonov and the thing that stands out is a high motor and getting to dirty areas, not elite passing.

Reactions: DaveG

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Honestly we don't need him to be a full complete player. We need him to be able to give an average to above average effort defensively, find the soft spot offensively and be able to rip a quick shot while finding a corner. Shoot first mentality, but not a guy who will run head first into a defensive wall every time he has the puck. Doesn't have to be excellent passing the puck, just capable of not panicking when a shot isn't there.

You have that and it's a perfect complement to Aho.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I flat out don't get the Kucherov comparison at all. Kucherov is a better passer than any other player who has ever played a game for the sightless eye. That's no slight on Francis, Stillman, Ray Whitney, and the other skilled players we have had over the years. Kucherov is just that good at finding seams and lasering rocket passes to open men. Watch even just the highlights of Artamonov and the thing that stands out is a high motor and getting to dirty areas, not elite passing.
Don't forget we are commenting on an 18 years old player competing at a high level.

His skating and skills will get better and right now it's not a fair comparison against a mature NHL player (ie Kucherov who I don't recall how he faired as an 18 year old).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad