Prospect Info: 2024 39th OA: Gabriel Eliasson (LHD)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
If this guy is good then it's fine that he's more defensive/physical. I'm not worried about the style of play/position. Pick BPA and then figure it out. If he's a #4 D-man some day that's a win.

Reactions: Snowwy

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
I don't read too much into analytics for a prospect with this profile, but worth adding the second part of this tweet:

Apparently this guy passed the Tierney analytics test?

I had a chance to speak with our man Tierney about his advanced analytics that he uses, and the kinds of stats that go into it.

He told me: It's a cosmic mix, the stability of Height and Weight combined with the expert measurement of PIMs -- but with modern touches. It's hyper violent, but it knows what it is. It's a little bit Corsi, it's definitely a little bit Fenwick, it's kind of a cosmic gumbo. It almost moves to the beat of jazz.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Our prospect pool has one strength, and it's left-shot defenceman who project as third pair guys with a chance to play second pair. Kleven, Donovan, Nordberg, Andonovski.
Yep, although using the term 'strength' to describe it is a very um.. diplomatic way of putting it. Our scouting staff needs a complete overhaul at this point, both amateur and pro.

Reactions: Speatleysson

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yep, although using the term 'strength' to describe it is a very um.. diplomatic way of putting it. Our scouting staff needs a complete overhaul at this point, both amateur and pro.
Some of the weaknesses of our prospect pool is due to our previous GM who traded away top picks for quick fixes that did not work out or last long.

Hopefully the latest trade of a top pick for Ullmark will have some longer term benefits.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Some of the weaknesses of our prospect pool is due to our previous GM who traded away top picks for quick fixes that did not work out or last long.

Hopefully the latest trade of a top pick for Ullmark will have some longer term benefits.
Thats very true, but our scouting has been very underwhelming as well, that department needs a serious overhaul too.

Reactions: Cosmix

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
I think Staios grew tired of seeing the charming soft D we have play with one hand or avoid contact along the boards at all cost

He is obviously rebuilding his team from the rear end and doesn't want anybody to touch or obstruct his star goalie

Drafting the softness of Colin white, Logan Brown, etc gets you nowhere

Its been an orgiastic buffet for other teams in our D zone for the last 7 years

Time for a change

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
I'm definitely not a "anything goes as long as it is violent" type guy, but I don't see much of an issue with most of the video I see in that montage. As long as he is finishing checks and playing under the rules I love it. Late or dirty hits are not kosher. Honestly, the Sens more than most teams need guys who can and will hit, especially those who do so like a freight train. Growing up as a Euro-player he would likely be aware of and played under international rules that are incredibly strict around direct hits to the head. Canadian teams used to get clobbered by that. Hopefully he has learned to use his mountainous size effectively to avoid that. Solid coaching can curb overzealous selfish play, reduce needless and stupid PIM numbers by making sure he knows they want physical, not dumb. I love the idea they are adding so much grit, intensity. I'd be the among the first to bitch if they were just adding stupid.

It will likely be years before this young man sees the NH. I love the fact that he is headed for University of Michigan for a solid program and coaching, mentorship. He can only get better and will learn the north american smaller ice game. Big difference on how you position on the ice.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Can we just wait and see how he develops over the next 4-5 years. He’s only 17.
I think we’re in year 4 for some guys the last time we said this.

I think Staios grew tired of seeing the charming soft D we have play with one hand or avoid contact along the boards at all cost

He is obviously rebuilding his team from the rear end and doesn't want anybody to touch or obstruct his star goalie

Time for a change
Eh. Not really.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012

Time for a change

yeah we need more players like Colin White, not Colin White

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
another guy who's major skill is accumulating penaly minutes...
I'm sure they are not just looking at PIMs and ignoring overall skill. We are talking about 18 year olds. I am guessing that in most cases teams recognize that dumb can be coached out of them with logic or by means of painful sanctions. It is likely very difficult to coach a player to play physical when it is not in their nature as opposed to getting a player to tone it down.

There are many examples of players, established NHLers, who made dumb selfish moment-in-time decisions that seriously imperiled their team. Many of thise players have been 'fixed' such that they learned to control their emotions, temper. To cite a glaring example, think Nazem Kadri. He made an ass of himself with the dumbest most selfish decisions two years in a row in the playoffs and got suspended. He had to earn his way back, recoup trust. I'm pretty sure most teams today would love to have him on their team but any team worth their salt would certainly read him the riot act as a condition of employment first.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site

Time for a change

It's funny that Colin White is what people think of as a skill pick around here. The guy handles the puck like a grenade. He's as much an example of our drafting philosophy as anyone - NHL tools, high floor, maybe (but probably not) more.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Seems to skate well enough and uses his long reach to break up plays with his stick. Plays a strong defensive game. Does not get involved much in the offence. Made a few good passes to get the puck up his forwards.

Reactions: Icelevel

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'm all for having a Scott Stevens level hitter on the third pairing. The kid loves to hit...that's something you either have in you or you don't. And I don't care if we're in 2024...a good hitter that forces teams to move the puck before they're ready, and keeps guys honest in the defensive zone and looking over their shoulder will always be a good thing in this sport.

He needs a few years to work on his skating (which is decent for his size, but does need to get better to catch NHL level skaters), and his defensive positioning. All he has to do, is hit guys at the right time, clear out the crease, and get the puck out of danger areas. Not expecting anything more out of him.

Reactions: LiseL and Icelevel

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
As I predicted with Tyler Boucher, this new kid Gabriel Eliasson, will never play in NHL. Just utterly stupid, childish, irresponsible, unprofessional, asinine pick. There are no positives in that pick at all. The kid never learned how to play hockey, just liked to hit smaller kids and being a bully. In what universe it is ok to piss away a high second round pick, when you already as a franchise pissed away so many? How you help your team with this pick? In what sense? This kid will never see a dotted line to sign. Sens embarrassed themselves again and again, and again!

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
As I predicted with Tyler Boucher, this new kid Gabriel Eliasson, will never play in NHL. Just utterly stupid, childish, irresponsible, unprofessional, asinine pick. There are no positives in that pick at all. The kid never learned how to play hockey, just liked to hit smaller kids and being a bully. In what universe it is ok to piss away a high second round pick, when you already as a franchise pissed away so many? How you help your team with this pick? In what sense? This kid will never see a dotted line to sign. Sens embarrassed themselves again and again, and again!
Or.....

You're wrong.
Like wtf is this chicken little bullshit. The sky isn't falling.

We took a 6'7 monster that crushes people and is one of the youngest in the draft.
He skates well and can play on his offside.

Hedging he'll never amount to anything sounds like sour grapes.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Or.....

You're wrong.
Like wtf is this chicken little bullshit. The sky isn't falling.

We took a 6'7 monster that crushes people and is one of the youngest in the draft.
He skates well and can play on his offside.

Hedging he'll never amount to anything sounds like sour grapes.
You can not predict the future, nobody can. You write, like you already know things and being a clairvoyant. Idiots rolled a dice against extremely bad odds. 1000:1. That's why I call it irresponsible. You have to mitigate the risk, you have to care about your franchise and not to live in a dream land, that this kid will be developed in some kind of NHLer and will crush people for you. It is childish and stupid!! The way they draft, with only one good draft in 2020 in the last 10 years, this kid will be ready, when there is a time for a new rebuild in 5 years. I predict that the rebuild will go forever, the way this franchise is run. Total incompetence. And it is not obviously all about this one pick.

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
You can not predict the future, nobody can. You write, like you already know things and being a clairvoyant. Idiots rolled a dice against extremely bad odds. 1000:1. That's why I call it irresponsible. You have to mitigate the risk, you have to care about your franchise and not to live in a dream land, that this kid will be developed in some kind of NHLer and will crush people for you. It is childish and stupid!! The way they draft, with only one good draft in 2020 in the last 10 years, this kid will be ready, when there is a time for a new rebuild in 5 years. I predict that the rebuild will go forever, the way this franchise is run. Total incompetence. And it is not obviously all about this one pick.
It's not irresponsible.

Every team has their own list and they liked this kid for reasons.
And you're right. You can't predict the future.
Physician heal thyself, and give it a chance.

And maybe take a breath. It's not even nearly as terrible as you're saying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad