Prospect Info: 2024 2nd Overall - Artyom Levshunov

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I’m legally blind without my glasses, am half deaf in my left ear to warrant having a hearing aid, and don't have a sense of taste or smell. My hairline is holding for at least now, though.

Darkstar

Nov 3, 2007
Denver, CO
I like ALL 3 of those guys-- Over Low IQ Korchinski-- I hope I am wrong... But KK looks to have Bad IQ/Instincts

Yes- I know he was 18 playing a very difficult position... BUT -consistently makes poor reads--my 2 cents

I wouldn't make a final judgement on KK just yet. He was put in a position he wasn't ready for. He should've been in the Dub last season. If he hasn't greatly improved then he needs to be in the AHL this season.

Reactions: ClydeLee

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
I like ALL 3 of those guys-- Over Low IQ Korchinski-- I hope I am wrong... But KK looks to have Bad IQ/Instincts

Yes- I know he was 18 playing a very difficult position... BUT -consistently makes poor reads--my 2 cents
Korchinski will be very good imo. He sees the ice so well and can pass the puck with anyone . He needs to mature , tough year for the poor kid with his Dad dying and playing with his less than stellar D partner's.

MHO

Sep 27, 2023
I know I've asked this before but do you see a player giving up a year of being a big man on campus to play in the minors when he's probably going to play in the NHL the year after anyway?

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I know I've asked this before but do you see a player giving up a year of being a big man on campus to play in the minors when he's probably going to play in the NHL the year after anyway?

He is razor focused on living his dream. This isn't an American or Canadian kid going to college in the US. The kid literally left his family to chase his dream. He lost his father at a young age and he's doing this in honor of him. His dream isn't to bang college sorority girls and hit the books to get a degree in college. Now if Davidson and company feels it's best for his development to stay another year in college, then he'll do it, but I have a feeling the Hawks and Levshunov want to turn pro. And I much rather his development be in the hands of our organization.

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
I would love if Levshunov signed and spent the whole year in the AHL.

I don't want him in the NHL though. This team is still going to be bad next year. Let him play big minutes in the AHL or at MS and let him work on his game.

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
If he truly hates the class part of it sure. For a non-American the college lifestyle probably isn't quite as alluring anyway.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
I would love if Levshunov signed and spent the whole year in the AHL.

I don't want him in the NHL though. This team is still going to be bad next year. Let him play big minutes in the AHL or at MS and let him work on his game.
agreed, get back to college or spend the year in Rockford.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I’m fine if he returns to the NCAA, but then I’d still want him to play in the A after. Between Vlasic, EDM, and others, the coaching there knows what it’s doing all of a sudden. I also want Korchinski there.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
I’m fine if he returns to the NCAA, but then I’d still want him to play in the A after. Between Vlasic, EDM, and others, the coaching there knows what it’s doing all of a sudden. I also want Korchinski there.

I think their confidence in developing D played a large part in the decision to take Levshunov.

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
I think Levshunov in Rockford makes sense for everyone. Take the Nemec path. Gets him with our development staff. Also guarantees he'll get some NHL looks throughout the year, if warranted.
Argeed and I made that case in the "Live" draft thread yesterday prior to the draft. Nemec is a good example...2022 2nd OA pick that spent the entirety of the 2022-23 season in the AHL. He started this past season in the AHL and was called up due to injuries on the Devils right defensive side.

The Hawks need to sign a competent RHD since Murphy will most likely miss a chunk of games due to injury. If/when that happens, Kaiser can play the right side on the 3rd pair.

Don't rush the kid.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So we finally got a 1st pairing elite dman...but how does 6(ok maybe 5seasons with a buyout 1 season before contract ends) before that spot is open)..Doescthiscmean we get a 1st pairing elite level dman confined to only 2RD =2nd pairingvrolecforc4 to 5vsessobs(2 season back at MSU before he pkays for Hawks woukdvbe best...do notcwantvto rush him..besides Barfy need to pkay this season...at least till TDL ...both to help keep us to Botyom5vteam...and before he gets trade at tdl with Hawksx50% retention...that would clear 2RD forever in 2025/26 and maybecRinzel also cones for 25/26 so that our only remaining RDvisduevisc tge $9.5 albatross at 1RD.

It would be insane to give Lev1RD and demote Jonescto 2RD at his pay level..not supposed to hapoen
..unless Jones pouts and demands trade out.. in that cae almost impossible to trade him

Not going to retain for 5 orv4vmore more seasonsc if trraded in summer2025vor2026..

So this is a big issue ,I think.

As tobLev himself....the reason people were so Demidov over Lev gung-ho aside from the Bedard duo idea (which might have failed since onkyv1 puckbforc2 creatorsmight not work) is that you looked Demidov highlights and heviscso dynamic...Lev in contrastv"looks" slower abd more straight line simple ...but Kecis moving faster than heb"looks"..it simply is a more efficient stride..smooth and fluid..butvit makes him lok like he is not putting out mich effort.. thiscoverall impression is not flashy....justcefficient...less "exciting" even if resukls achieved anyway.

Lev also skates very upright with kess"bend" ..so he looks "stiff...it is off-outtong because you think it looks like he is notveffortong...butvit reakky is deceptive...Chris Peter's of Flo Hockey compared this to to the style of Headman.when in motion...fluid...poised.....

So if you framed Demidov as Kucherov vs.Lpev as a Right sided Headman would the discussion have been seen ina different light..both have value..but a right shot Headnan is harder to find..So maybe tables would have turned in Lev's favour in such a debate if framed that way.
in any case we have Lev and should be appreciating that we have such a talent on R D..

Even if...he is not going to be exciting as flashier player would ..plus hewill play alk situations and big minutes..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad