2024-25 Utica Comets and ECHL thread

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
10/25/24
Utica Comets @ Laval Rocket

Final Score -
Laval 4 Utica 3

Before I go into the game it is more important to relate the info on the injury to Comets Center Filip Engaras. With a little over 5 minutes remaining in the game Filip carried the puck into the Laval zone and at full speed was attempting to go around the net and was shoved hard by Zack Hayes in an attempt to get him off the puck. Filip lost his feet and crashed very hard into the end boards with his upper back and head making the first contact with the boards. He laid motionless on his back. The Laval goalie, Jakub Dobes, immediately signaled for help. The camera work in the building showed trainers from both teams attending to him and one of them stood and waved for paramedics help. They showed a stretcher appearing on the scene and a back board placed next to him on the ice and then the screen went to a large Laval Rocket logo. There was narration from Shaya relating what was happening , but no picture came back until he was being wheeled off and all the video showed was the Laval bench and the players banging their sticks on the boards and a large crowd on its feet clapping. Shaya said he was gesturing with a hand.

The latest update I can find was 3 hours ago relating that he was fully alert and responsive as he was taken to the hospital for medical attention. That was the same info the Comets released after the game. I can't find a more recent update.

EDIT
At 3:06 p.m. the Utica Comets said this morning his head and neck were confirmed to be OK and he was set to be released from the hospital in Quebec today (Saturday).

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Laval Rocket 4 Utica Comets 3
SOG:
UTC - 3 14 13 - 30
LAV - 11 8 3 - 22

The Comets went with 7 D and 11 forwards. I was watching the Devils and the Comets. The Comets feed I got from flo hockey was in French. At 8 o'clock I also put on the World Series. The Comets came out in their usual lack luster play and I was more interested in the other images I had to watch. The reason for the 11F/7D alignment I have no idea.

The Comets have 17 forwards on the roster. 2, Gambardella and Parent are out with injuries and have not yet been activated - 15.
Wendt was sent to Adirondackon the 23rd - 14
Malone, Hardman, and Beckman were scratches - 11.

Forwards:
There appeared to be 3 fixed lines and a 4th with LWs rotating in to complete the line.

(20) Willman (10) Dowling (25) Foote
(19) Filmon (26) Schmelzer (24)Halonen
(79) Laberge (16) Engaras (11) Legare
(?) (15) Bowers (61) Stillman

D-Pairs:
(6) White (22) Casey
(3) MacKinnon (57) DeSimone
(55) van de Leest (32) Welinski (58) Diotte

Goal - (50) Daws

Period 1
The Comets were owned for the 1st period as has been the case since day 1. The SOG ended up 11-3 Laval and the score was 1-0.
At 12:51 of the 1st, the Comets recorded their 3rd and final shot of the period. They would go the last 7+ minutes without a shot.
Laval scored their goal at 14:45.

Period 2
Utica found some life and put 13 shots on goal.
They recorded the 1st 3 shots of the period with the third coming at 3:45.
Casey went off for high sticking at 8:03 and Laval scored their 2nd of the night, a PPG, 30 seconds later at 8:33.

Laberge and Hayes got 5 for hugging and snarling at 9:24.

Laval made it 3-0 at 10:02.

Laval took a 2 minute penalty for roughing at 13:23 and the Comets launched 6 SOG, but came up empty.

Period ends at 3-0 Laval leaving the Comets a long row to hoe as they have done every single game.

Period 3
3rd periods have looked like the best periods for the Comets thus far, at least for the games the scores indicate they were in.
That's misleading. They have been owned in most games, out of it early and then go through the motions as the other team sits back and denies them the puck, entry, and high danger shots.

Those who know the game know that shots on goal can be deceiving. Some shot stats speak for themselves. Being limited to 3, 4, or 5 shots a period says you are not in the contest, especially when the opponent is scoring and lives in your end of the ice during the time you are struggling. When your shots are wristers from long distances, dump ins on goal, and flips as you are being ridden out of position get counted as SOG, but are not really anything. That's been the case for the best part of the 5 games played thus far.

The 3rd period has been their best in those 2 games because hockey teams seem to be coached by men who all went to the same school of hockey genius. When you have a multiple goal lead, don't take chances, deny the opponent ice space through the neutral zone to your net front. 1-2-2 alignments with traps are common. This is not an easy system to master with young teams who are all gung-ho on offense. This has given the Comets the appearance of being a good 3rd period team in the 2 games they have finished 1 goal short, Belleville 5-4 and Laval 4-3. Those games were not that close. Goaltending has helped the Comets keep the game within reach, but the opponent has a goalie as well and when your shots are not all that challenging the score builds up. Then comes the shut it down system and the Comets get better chances, get some PPs as in Belleville, and score some goals, but in the end the other team prevails.

The D-corps has had it's problems aided by the failures of the forwards to do their jobs defensively particularly on the backcheck and picking up loose cannons in their end. Many of the goals have come from players completely left alone often with thier keeper down and out after a save on the other side or a cross the crease pass to a guy fore the easy snipe or tap in.

DeSimone I believe is a decent veteran D-man but the stats would beg to differ. He is currently a +29 D-man through 346 AHL GP. After 5 games with the Comets he is currently -6 and has been on the ice for 11 goals against. 3 have been PPGA which goes to the 4 on the ice, not usualy any 1 particular guy. Of the other 8, 5 have come with MacKinnon as a partner.

Mackinnon has been on the ice for 9 goals against with only 2 on the PK. We've already pointed out 5 were with DeSimone and 2 more with Welinski, who is also a veteran D-man. Dineen has been pairing him up with vets to shield hiom and it hasn't really worked ut all that well.

White was paired up with Diotte for the 1st 3 games for the same shielding purpose and they were on for 5 goals against thiose 3 games - 2, 2, 1.

van de Leest has faired much better in less time only having been on the ice for 1 goal against paired at the time with Welinski. Welinski himself has only been on the ice for 5 goals against, i on the PP and 2 with MacKinnon and the single 1 with van de Leest.

Diotte was also on the ice for 1 goal against with MacKinnon.

The projected D before the season started would have been comprised of Misyul, White, Vilen, Hatakka, DeSimone, and Casey. Welinski would have been #7 when he was signed to a PTO.
Diotte was the rookie who could have been worked in and out.

There would have been no room for MacKinnon and van de Leest.

Hatakka and Vilen got hurt in preseason and have yet to be reactivated. Casey made a case to stay with NJ because Pesce and L. Hughes were not available at the start of the season.

So, Diotte and MacKinnon have been in the lineup from the get go and their presence has been felt on the down side. All cannot be attributed to the weakened D as I have repeatedly said the forwards are doing an absolute shit job defensively, In Game 1 Daws was pulled after 2 periods and Ppoulter finished up looking much better. Daws looked good in Games 2 and Poulter had problems in game 3. Goaltending has not been the problem in games 4 and 5.

Misyul and Beckman are back for tonight. With Engaras out that leaves the Comets with only 11 forwewards unless one of Hardman or malone are ready to go. AHL.com shows no transactions for the Comets as of 3 p.m. which leads one to believe that 1 of Hardman and/or Malone is game ready.

Misyul should makes things a little bit better on the back end. Misyul, White on the left side with Casey, DeSimone, and Welinski on the right. They really need Vilen to get his ass down here. That would make them stronger than they have been all year. Hatakka would be icing on the cake.
As it is, I'm afraid we'll see MacKinnon back out there again, probably with Welinski.

Tonight it's the 0-5 Utica Comets vs the 4-1 Laval Rocket , this time in Utica at 7 p.m.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I see with the way NJ is playing the Devils fans are not as concerned with the Comets as they have been in the past and with the way Utica has been playing I don't blame them.

10/26/24
Laval Rocket at Utica Comets
Final score -
Laval 4 Utica 3

The Comets continue to sink. Now stand at 0-6. That mark has earned them the last place not only in the North Division, but also in the entire 32 team AHL. They are the only team without a point and only Iowa is another team without a win.

Last night they actually showed some spark. They scored the opening goal in a game for the first time. They actually skated with an opponent for the most part except when the Rocket gave up a goal. At that point the Comets had no answer for the Rocket speed and pressure. They outshot the Rocket 9-7 for the period, but still ended up down 2-1. They outshot them 16-7 in the 2nd, but only managed to match them 2-2 in goals so ended the 2nd still behind 4-3 and that's the way it would end. Laval's shell worked in the 3rd and they held Utica to 9 shots and came away with their 2nd win over the Comets in the last 2 nights.

Last night Poulter got only his 2nd start of the season. He was pulled at 12:10 of the 2nd period after surrendering his 4th goal on 13 shots. Daws came on and pitched a shutout the rest of the way stopping the only 5 shots he faced. This was very similar to the game that went the other way around on opening night when Daws surrendered 4 goals on 16 shots and was lifted at 7:46 of the 2nd and Poulter played well giving up 1 goal the rest of the way. I don't think this is going to go so well for Isaac if he is going to sit every game except the back to backs.

Both keepers have poor stats due to the way the team in front of them has been playing in their own end:

Nico Daws 5GP/4 starts - 3.90 GAA / .871 SAV%
Isaac Poulter 3GP/2 starts - 4.89 GAA / .804 SAV%

Bright spots were the play of Casey and Beckman. I don't have to tell anyone who has ever watched this guy how skilled he is with the puck on his stick. He is the only Comet who can make moves while in puck possession to elude opponents and keep moving with the puck. His puck skills are eye opening and at time jaw dropping for those who have never seen him. His passing is so much better than the rest of the Comets that many must actually be embarrassed that a 20-yr-old kid can handle the puck so much better than they can. Defensively he still has flaws and that's
why he is here.

As to Beckman, he is dangerous when on the ice. He knows where the scoring areas are and he manages to get there. A problem is that the other guys out there with him can't make the passes he would need to get his scoring chances. He also knows based upon where a shot s coming from where the rebound is likely to be and goes there before it happens. Gee, what an idea.:sarcasm:

I have to ask this question. Have you ever seen a Devil go to the entry gate and exchange wet gloves for dry ones and also bring back a banana to the bench and sit down and eat before his next shift comes up? Beckman did just that halfway through the 2nd period.

Friday night the Devils played 7 D-men in Laval and 11 Forwards. Of the roster players he knew he had sent Wendt to Adirondack; Gambardella, Parent, and apparently Hardman were injured and also would not play; Malone and Beckman were supposedly available. Beckman was sent down the same exact same time as Casey. Casey played in Laval. Beckman did not and I'm guessing did not make the trip. That left Malone, who did not play. I have no idea if he waseven with the team. Go figure.
DiNeen is famous for shortening his bench. He doesn't like to have more players than he needs come game time. When on the road that bites him in the ass because he can't get called up players to the game site on short notice. When at home, Adirondack is only a couple hours away.

Saturday night Beckman and Malone were in the lineup and no other forward was available.

Forwards:
(34) Beckman (10) Dowling (25) Foote
(20) Willman (15) Bowers (61) Stillman
(19) Filmon (26) Schmelzer (24) Halonen
(79) Laberge (13) Malone (11) Legare

D-pairs:
(6) White (22) Casey
(93) Misyul (57) DeSimone
(3) MacKinnon (32) Welinski

Goal - (1) Poulter 32:10 / Daws 26:27
Daws relieved Poulter after 12:10 of the 2nd period

Comets next game is Wednesday, 10/30, at 7 p.m. back in Laval for the 3rd straight game between the 2 teams in 6 days with Utica in Laval for 2 of the 3.

RNCDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Wow, the state of the farm team...a day AFTER the loss...

1730081601814.png

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
It’s a tough situation. The Devils fans were blessed with top prospects. Unfortunately for Utica, top prospects tend to skip the AHL.

The Devils have also let guys marinate in their respective leagues.

With most of the guys in Jersey locked up with term, you should “in theory” start to get guys.

I think it would be an interesting case study to see which teams do better? Why? How?

Reactions: Guttersniped

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad