2024-25 Utica Comets and ECHL thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
I do wonder if Labanc has any interest playing in the AHL.

It doesn’t seem like he has ever played center or else he could’ve been a nice 1C for the Comets. His offensive production early in his career was really strong, feel like if he goes to the AHL he’d be a nice PPG player for Utica even if his offense has dried up at the NHL level.

Utica has a bunch of guys that can come up to the Devils and play a high energy game in the bottom six. Devils are missing that back-up skill option for the top six though. Having a guy like Labanc in Utica could be a nice just-in-case option for the NHL team.

Mercer is your top six fill-in. Ideal career trajectory for him (as a fan of the Devils, not for his paycheck necessarily), is somewhere between Haula and RNH. A guy you can put out on any line, at wing or at center, and who'll contribute.

The only way someone like that would be in the AHL is if they were a prospect. And, you're right on that - I think the lack of center prospects has been covered extensively here.

There are no waiver eligible guys who could hop into an NHL top six. Older guys who are top six AHL talents tend to either be too slow (skating or processing), too small, or lack the hands to stick at the NHL. Older guys have to be able to play on the fourth line (and probably PK) to have a shot at being called up.

EDIT: on the topic of Labanc, I'm wondering what's in it for him to do the PTO with us. As you say, Utica needs centers. Maybe he's seeing an opportunity for a right shot wing in Utica? But, they have Halonen, Stillman, Wendt and Malone already. I'm sure Labanc is better, but those guys are signed.

Last edited:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Mercer is your top six fill-in. Ideal career trajectory for him (as a fan of the Devils, not for his paycheck necessarily), is somewhere between Haula and RNH. A guy you can put out on any line, at wing or at center, and who'll contribute.

The only way someone like that would be in the AHL is if they were a prospect. And, you're right on that - I think the lack of center prospects has been covered extensively here.

There are no waiver eligible guys who could hop into an NHL top six. Older guys who are top six AHL talents tend to either be too slow (skating or processing), too small, or lack the hands to stick at the NHL. Older guys have to be able to play on the fourth line (and probably PK) to have a shot at being called up.

EDIT: on the topic of Labanc, I'm wondering what's in it for him to do the PTO with us. As you say, Utica needs centers. Maybe he's seeing an opportunity for a right shot wing in Utica? But, they have Halonen, Stillman, Wendt and Malone already. I'm sure Labanc is better, but those guys are signed.
Right now the Devils are lining up with:

Bratt - Hughes - Meier
Tatar - Hischier - Mercer (Labanc)
Palat - Haula - Noesen
Cotter - Lazar - Bastian

I love the way the forward group is built, however, my one concern would be scoring depth after our top five forwards. Tatar is still a bit of a question mark as number six and the rest of the guys are more complimentary pieces in the top six. In reality, it’s likely if we need Labanc there’s far bigger issues on this team.

Regarding his PTO, I would imagine it’s because he knows he’s going to get games in to showcase himself. Plus I think if I’m in his shoes, I would think there’s a need for one more skilled forward like I mentioned, even if it ends up being on a third line opposite Palat, Tatar, Haula, or Noesen. If he’s willing to be a good soldier and spend some time in Utica, he could be called up if we need a scoring punch too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad