2024-25 Utica Comets and ECHL thread

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Beckman Signed to an NHL 2-way $775K - $125K, but guaranteed $150K.

That leaves Hatakka as the lone possible unsigned Comet.

There are still 4 unsigned Devils forwards. Are any of them possible Comets?
McCleod is already out of the picture.
Mercer isn't even a consideration.
I wouldn't count on seeing Foote.
Tierney is a possibility, but the Devils would have to sign him or get him to accept an AHL contract. As a UFA I would think he would test all NHL possibilities 1st and if all failed he might entertain a deal of some kind with NJ, if the even offered him one.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Beckman Signed to an NHL 2-way $775K - $125K, but guaranteed $150K.

That leaves Hatakka as the lone possible unsigned Comet.

There are still 4 unsigned Devils forwards. Are any of them possible Comets?
McCleod is already out of the picture.
Mercer isn't even a consideration.
I wouldn't count on seeing Foote.
Tierney is a possibility, but the Devils would have to sign him or get him to accept an AHL contract. As a UFA I would think he would test all NHL possibilities 1st and if all failed he might entertain a deal of some kind with NJ, if they even offer him one.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Underwhelming.

Ah!!! You beat me to it.

I knew it was a mater of time before daddy signed his son (COMETS GM Dan MacKinnon). Will is a #6/7 defender at best. Injuries and recalls forced him into a bigger role for the past 1/2 of last season. His AHL1-way won't stop him from playing in the ECHL with Adirondack, but he will still collect his AHL paycheck.

Brodeur was a mainstay for the Thunder last season. His ECHL numbers were 2.56 GAA/.918 SAV %.
He finished 1 game in Utica and after Kallgren was injured early on in that game. He played 53:12 minutes and only surrendered 2 goals. His numbers for that came came out to 2.26 GAA/.909 SAV%.

Brodeur and Vinnie Purpura split most of the season with Tyler Brennan getting 13 starts. Purpura put up similar numbers to Brodeur with a 2.78 GAA/.908 SAV%.
Brennan played 13 games and posted a 3.16 GAA/.896 SAV%.

Purpura is not NJ or Utica signed while Brodeur (Utica, 1-yr AHL 1-way) and Brennan (Yr -2 of NJ 3-yr ELC) are.

Daws and Poulter are going to share the net in Utica.

Adirondack could have a problem with 3 keepers. Does NJ have the authority to insist that Brennan plays at least half of Adirondack's games? Utica won't carry 3 and neither 27-yr-old Brodeur nor Brennan 21-yr-old are going to push either of Daws or Poulter to the sidelines.

Currently Purpura is not signed to a contract for this season. I'd feel sorry for that guy if he doesn't get to share the Thunder net again. He was just as rock solid as Brodeur. However, if that's the case Brodeur and Brennan would be the tandem in Adirondack.

We must admit that at the last info. Jakub is playing at home again this season, which avoids the so called goalie log jam in the minors. It actually stacks up quite well at the moment.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Ah!!! You beat me to it.

I knew it was a mater of time before daddy signed his son (COMETS GM Dan MacKinnon). Will is a #6/7 defender at best. Injuries and recalls forced him into a bigger role for the past 1/2 of last season. His AHL1-way won't stop him from playing in the ECHL with Adirondack, but he will still collect his AHL paycheck.

Brodeur was a mainstay for the Thunder last season. His ECHL numbers were 2.56 GAA/.918 SAV %.
He finished 1 game in Utica and after Kallgren was injured early on in that game. He played 53:12 minutes and only surrendered 2 goals. His numbers for that came came out to 2.26 GAA/.909 SAV%.

Brodeur and Vinnie Purpura split most of the season with Tyler Brennan getting 13 starts. Purpura put up similar numbers to Brodeur with a 2.78 GAA/.908 SAV%.
Brennan played 13 games and posted a 3.16 GAA/.896 SAV%.

Purpura is not NJ or Utica signed while Brodeur (Utica, 1-yr AHL 1-way) and Brennan (Yr -2 of NJ 3-yr ELC) are.

Daws and Poulter are going to share the net in Utica.

Adirondack could have a problem with 3 keepers. Does NJ have the authority to insist that Brennan plays at least half of Adirondack's games? Utica won't carry 3 and neither 27-yr-old Brodeur nor Brennan 21-yr-old are going to push either of Daws or Poulter to the sidelines.

Currently Purpura is not signed to a contract for this season. I'd feel sorry for that guy if he doesn't get to share the Thunder net again. He was just as rock solid as Brodeur. However, if that's the case Brodeur and Brennan would be the tandem in Adirondack.

We must admit that at the last info. Jakub is playing at home again this season, which avoids the so called goalie log jam in the minors. It actually stacks up quite well at the moment.
In the abstract Brodeur has probably earned his contract with a good season. Did MacKinnon do anything to justify his? I am all for the dads keeping the kids with the organization but I’m it sure it should be as players. It’s just not a great look.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
In the abstract Brodeur has probably earned his contract with a good season. Did MacKinnon do anything to justify his? I am all for the dads keeping the kids with the organization but I’m it sure it should be as players. It’s just not a great look.
No matter the situation or the results, nepotism always has a bad look. Will MacKinnon was no better than any number of ECHL level players who get lots of games every season because the teams they are signed by are desperate for help because their AHL rosters are decimated. Some can put in an effort that is better than the majority. They are not adequate replacements, but they can hold their head above water and put forth a big enough effort to at least hang in there until those they are playing for return to the roster. That part never occurred in MacKinnon's case after he arrived on 1/2 2023. So, he not only kept getting a game night spot, but became 1 of the total 6 D-men on the roster with no subs on most nights. Every time 1 guy came back another was gone at the same time.

The Comets get 1 or 2 of these types every year out of the many they bring in who end up being kept and if their regular guys don't come back or recover from their injuries, they become players. Engaras and MacKinnon are 2 great examples. I already explained Will's situation. Engaras only played 6 games in the ECHL because the center situation in Utica was never a fixed 4. Injuries and call ups made the miidle 4 an everchanging mishmash. These 2 became members of the ECHL call-up tops of the list for the season. Their errors that would normally not be accepted had to be lived with. They didn't have anybody else.

MacKinnon and Engaras both got AHL contracts for this season. These contracts are rewards for their 2023-24 contributions. Engaras's is a 1-yr Standard AHL contract and MacKinnon's is one step bigger in that his is a 1-yr AHL 1-way contract. Both can be sent to the ECHL, but MacKinnon will get his AHL paycheck (so will Jeremy Brodeur). Engaras will get an ECHL or AHL check based upon where he is playing.

Will played 40 games last season, 3G3A/6Pts.
Engaras played 53 games 6G/6A/12Pts.
At the moment the Comets only have 4 Centers signed and Engaras is one of them.
They also only have 6 D-signed and MacKinnon is one of them.

NJ is going to have to put at least one of Hatakka or DeSimone on waivers to be assigned to Utica. It could even be both as the Devils currently have 8 D-men on their roster and Hatakka (#9) remains unsigned.

Macdermid is signed as a forward making that number 12 with Mercer and Foote unsigned, so 14 forwards. 14 forwards and 8 Dmen plus 2 goalies makes 24 and they can only keep 23.

Will might become a Comets in house depth player as #8 but he won't beat out anyt of the 5 signed (Misyul,Vilen,White,Casey,Diotte) plus 1 of Hatakka/DeSimone coming down. I have read talk about Macdermid or Bastian getting waived for AHL assignment. I have no comment on that.

I can't believe they AHL roster is being limitted to the cuurrent signed number. At least 1 more D-man with more experience than MacKinnon will be brought on board thus making Will #8. If they don't get another center (actually need 2) this coming season has the looks of an instant replay of the last 2.

So, Will MacKinnon and Jeremy Brodeur will get AHL checks no matter where they play. Engaras, who has played more AHL games and put up more points will get an AHL or ECHL check. My thoughts are his past performance says he is just as deserving as the other 2. Is nepotism playing a role here? You make your own decision.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
1721238346673.png

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Santeri Hatakka has been signed by NJ. His location yet to be determined.

As of now I see:
LD
Hatakka
Misyul
Vilen
You figure out who fits 1-3. Can't go wrong with any order.

RD
Casey
White
Diotte

MacKinnon
So far he is the only extra that's signed.

If DeSimone is assigned to Utica along with Hatakka, I wouldn't want to be Dineen. Diotte/White become his choice as a game night scratch. White will have smoke shooting out of his ears if he's scratched. He has been signed as the veteran leader. However, it's possible that if Diotte turns out to be as good as recent assessments on this site describe him, White could easily become #7 while DeSimone slides into the top 6. At that point you figure out who is 2-3 on the right side.

The defensemen are the shiny part of this roster. If Daws can get his head on straight and Poulter continues to grow his game, there is some hope for this team. A couple centers or at least a #1 and hope could be turned into promise. Bowers and especially Dowling spend too much time out with (or playing not so good with) injuries.

A Comets roster forcing Engaras and MacKinnon to Adirodack will be a team with a lot more to hope for.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Santeri Hatakka has been signed by NJ. His location yet to be determined.

As of now I see:
LD
Hatakka
Misyul
Vilen
You figure out who fits 1-3. Can't go wrong with any order.

RD
Casey
White
Diotte

MacKinnon
So far he is the only extra that's signed.

If DeSimone is assigned to Utica along with Hatakka, I wouldn't want to be Dineen. Diotte/White become his choice as a game night scratch. White will have smoke shooting out of his ears if he's scratched. He has been signed as the veteran leader. However, it's possible that if Diotte turns out to be as good as recent assessments on this site describe him, White could easily become #7 while DeSimone slides into the top 6. At that point you figure out who is 2-3 on the right side.

The defensemen are the shiny part of this roster. If Daws can get his head on straight and Poulter continues to grow his game, there is some hope for this team. A couple centers or at least a #1 and hope could be turned into promise. Bowers and especially Dowling spend too much time out with (or playing not so good with) injuries.

A Comets roster forcing Engaras and MacKinnon to Adirodack will be a team with a lot more to hope for.
Isn't White a lefty also?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Isn't White a lefty also?
That he is, but he isn't going to displace one of the 3 I listed on LD. He will be like Wotherspoon was LD or RD depending upon where the need is. He played the right side when he was here in 2021-22

Vilen and Hatakka have played the right side in Utica, but it seems illogical to play the developing guys on their wrong side as you'd want them to be the best they can become on their natural side. Using them in a trade deal, if it comes to that, would bring better value if well-developed on that side as well.

I guess you could switch Hatakka to the right, But I would say why? Same reasoning as above. It's the veteran guy's job to play where the need is greatest. With Misyul, Vilen, and Hatakka on the left and Casey leading the charge on the right it will be White's job penciled in wherever he can be most helpful.

My3Sons

Sponsor
That he is, but he isn't going to displace one of the 3 I listed on LD. He will be like Wotherspoon was LD or RD depending upon where the need is. He played the right side when he was here in 2021-22

Vilen and Hatakka have played the right side in Utica, but it seems illogical to play the developing guys on their wrong side as you'd want them to be the best they can become on their natural side. Using them in a trade deal, if it comes to that, would bring better value if well-developed on that side as well.

I guess you could switch Hatakka to the right, But I would say why? Same reasoning as above. It's the veteran guy's job to play where the need is greatest. With Misyul, Vilen, and Hatakka on the left and Casey leading the charge on the right it will be White's job penciled in wherever he can be most helpful.
that makes sense. As bad as the outlook is at center, the team has done a nice job adding talent on defense. They have five genuine prospects this season. That's pretty good in my view. Goalie is also shaping up to be a strong pool. Adding Poulter and shipping out Schmid took guts but they also have Brennan and Malek on the way along with the two goalies they just drafted. Hopefully those two overagers they drafted this season at forward make it to Utica sooner rather than later. How the organization can be so dismissive of what a difference a legit AHL 1C would make is beyond me.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

View attachment 896618

I was gloriously wrong! Our little fella is back! (And Jace too.)

Correctomundo!
Utica Comets GM Dan MacKinnon has signed 23-yr-old LW Xavier Parent to a 1-yr, 1-way AHL contract for the 2024-25 AHL hockey season.
It took him long enough but at least it got done. Welcome back Xavier.

He also signed 22-yr-old C Jace Isley to a 1-yr, 2-way AHL contract. Isley was a member of the Adirondack Thunder last season and was used as an emergency call-up by Utica. He played 7G and recorded 1G/0A/1Pt. He is another of MacKinnon's player stash in Adirondack for when the Comets need help.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Nico Daws has signed a 2-yr NHL 2-way contact. That makes all the players off last year's roster that haven't left on free agency + those recently signed by NJ all signed and accounted for. There are no centers in the mix beyond those returning:
- Schmelzer
- Dowling
- Bowers
- Engaras

Unless NJ has something else up their sleeves, there will be dire results by season's end.

There are 8 LWs, 5 RWs, and 4 Centers. 2 of the LWs can also play the right side.

12 forwards dress for every game.

4 centers are accounted for with no extras guys in the wings.
4 RWs with 1 extra.
4 LWs with 4 extras

3 LD - Misyul, Vilen, Hatakka if he clears waivers with Mackinnon left over
3 RD - Casey, Diotte, White, a LD who played the right side last time he was here in 2020-21 with no extras unless DeSimone is waived and clears to be assigned here.

This is really a muddled lineup up front. At least 1 strong AHL level center is essential and another better than Engaras would be a blessing. That's 2 more centers without which we will have a season like we had in 2021-22 with Brian Pinho, Tyce Thompson, Nolan Foote, Joe Gambardella, Nolan Stevens, Aarne Talvitie, Nick Hutchison, Filip Engaras, Patrick Grasso, and Nick Rivera moving in and out of the lineup and up and down the lines to try and have 4 lines with centers that maybe could look like they knew how to play the position, but failed more often than they succeeded.
The D is strong as long as the top 6 stay healthy and Hatakka and DeSimone clear waivers. IF NJ chooses to keep DeSimone and MacKinnnon is the only extra D-man, NJ has to expand their D signings.

Daws and Poulter will be the goalies in Utica.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
We have signed forwards Kevin O’Neil and Tag Bertuzzi to one-year, one-way AHL contracts for this season

Tag Bertuzzi, the son of Todd Bertuzzi and cousin of Tyler, signed a one-year, one-way AHL contract with the Utica Comets earlier today.
Both are apparently centers, though neither have much AHL time.

Tag Bertuzzi is 23 (born Feb 18) and has played 10 AHL games (career).
Kevin O'Neill is is 26 (born Feb 23) and has played 9 AHL games (career).

Engaras, by contrast, is 25 (born May 16) and has played 95 AHL games (career).

Not sure these are the reinforcements we were looking for.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Both are apparently centers, though neither have much AHL time.

Tag Bertuzzi is 23 (born Feb 18) and has played 10 AHL games (career).
Kevin O'Neill is is 26 (born Feb 23) and has played 9 AHL games (career).

Engaras, by contrast, is 25 (born May 16) and has played 95 AHL games (career).

Not sure these are the reinforcements we were looking for.
They look like players that should be in Adirondack and not Utica. More bargain basement signings from MacKinnon who along with Fitzgerald has mostly ignored the Comets since free agency opened a month ago tomorrow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad