2024-25 USNTDP U18 Discussion

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
LJ Mooney hurt in the Notre Dame game yesterday after a big open ice hit from Tyler Carpenter.
That’s going to be the problem with LJ. Does he have the skating, evasiveness, and skill to overcome his diminutive stature? I just don’t think he does. I’m not sure if there is a legit pro player there and I’m a fan on Mooney.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
That’s going to be the problem with LJ. Does he have the skating, evasiveness, and skill to overcome his diminutive stature? I just don’t think he does. I’m not sure if there is a legit pro player there and I’m a fan on Mooney.
It was a dirty hit, so not sure it’s the best way to assess those things. Look how big Laine is. He got injured with the same type of hit.

Fair questions about if Mooney has those attributes for the NHL, but pro? There’s a lot of pro hockey leagues. I’m pretty confident in saying he’ll make money playing hockey, if he wants.

jtechkid

May 24, 2024
tough weekend u -18 against college - no surprise - got some injury didn’t help - watched a bit nobody really stood out - anybody watch games with scouting on boys ? thx

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Why wouldn't he be able to? Season will be over by then, unless the U.S.A. brass is pissed because he bolted.
Sorry, I should've been more precise. Will he play? Is there any type of high probability?

There isn't that much precedent for a situation like his. There've been players that left the NTDP for college, but not many recently, and he isn't a no-doubt top 5 pick where he can afford to take off big tournaments as some of those players can and not be hurt by it.

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
Sorry, I should've been more precise. Will he play? Is there any type of high probability?

There isn't that much precedent for a situation like his. There've been players that left the NTDP for college, but not many recently, and he isn't a no-doubt top 5 pick where he can afford to take off big tournaments as some of those players can and not be hurt by it.

If offered a spot he will most certainly play. I don't think that he feels that he would be to good for the competition.

The question for me is will USA Hockey offer him an invite???

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
This is just a bad team right now. I didn’t think they’d be as good as the 22-23 team, but it’s been bad so far. They are now 3-6 on the season. This team currently makes extremely poor decisions defensively and does not have the offensive firepower to compensate. Very frustrating team to watch.

I stand by my opinion that Cole McKinney has the highest likelihood of being a good NHL player. He plays a strong two-way game and makes a lot of good heads up plays. But, he probably won’t be a superstar.

Conrad Fondrk has good potential. He has good speed and some skill. You can definitely see him playing in the NHL in some capacity, but I don’t see him as a play driver.

William Belle always catches my eye out there. He works hard, has good size, moves well, and has a very good shot. He lacks the offensive instincts and overall skill you’d want in a guy who could play top 6. But, I like this guy.

Jack Murtagh looked good in the games I saw early on but he’s been hurt.

I just do not take seriously any list that currently has William Moore and Charlie Trethewey in the early-mid first round.

Charlie Thethewey is extremely frustrating to watch. His decision making in the offensive zone is absolutely baffling at times. He has a good shot, but his utilization is extremely poor. He will take nothing shots instead of looking for an open man. He has decent size and mobility, but I don’t see a first round talent.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad