Speculation: 2024/25 Trade Rumours, Speculation etc Thread

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I think it's interesting that the last 3 Stanley Cup winners only used secondary assets or prospects to get players at the deadline. Colorado giving up a 2nd and Barron for Lekhonen is the biggest deal out of those 3. If you skip the main Covid years, St. Louis and Washington also only fine tuned. There is something to be said for messing with chemistry you build up all year. Stastny is the only real hit the Jets ever got in a deadline trade. To a lesser extent Stempniak. And it's worth considering that one non playoff year and the Copp trade is what improved the Jets prospect capital, which otherwise would have been in the quite mediocre range with Heinola, Mc Groarty, Chibrikov and Barlow leading it, with some hopeful gems in the later rounds.

Too early to get a read on whether Chevy should be swinging for the fences or playing it conservative.
One could argue that the reason the recent cup winners largely stood pat was because they already had great teams with fewer holes to try to fill

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
If I was going to hazard a guess on the 1st player to get moved off the Jets roster this year it would be David Gustafsson. If Kupari takes his job, and 8 defensemen stick around the Jets can conceivably improve their roster by adding either Lambert, Chibrikov or Jared Anderson-Dolan at some point. I don't think he would get a return on the trade market, at this point of his career, unless a team was desperate for PK help.

Reactions: Dirtbag151

Malcsta

Mar 15, 2024
I have a nagging feeling that we will see a Perfetti trade at some point this season.
Eh...
Incident?

No basis for it other than the sense maybe he does not fit in as they expected him to. Valuable trade chip still.
Perfetti has more points already than Vilardi, Nino, Iafallo. He has more points than Samberg and Demelo combined. in terms of production, Hes doing fine, hes just being outshined by his linemates

I think that line has kinks to work out but he's one of the smartest (hockey wise) players we have. He can adapt to be even more productive with Ehlers and Names, he just needs structure, and not the looming possibility of being benched lol.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
One could argue that the reason the recent cup winners largely stood pat was because they already had great teams with fewer holes to try to fill
It also comes down to what you need - and it you have injury issues, you're more likely to pull the trigger with major assets.

Reactions: Buffdog

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Eh...

Perfetti has more points already than Vilardi, Nino, Iafallo. He has more points than Samberg and Demelo combined. in terms of production, Hes doing fine, hes just being outshined by his linemates

I think that line has kinks to work out but he's one of the smartest (hockey wise) players we have. He can adapt to be even more productive with Ehlers and Names, he just needs structure, and not the looming possibility of being benched lol.

I wouldn't even say he's being outshined by Namestnikov. Name to me has also been very hit and miss. He's got some nice point totals but Ike last year the majority is made up of secondary assists.

Reactions: Buffdog

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think an issue with giving Ehlers something close to a Scheifele / Hellebuyck deal is term and his durability. How well will he age, considering his stature and how key his speed and quickness is to his effectiveness. Jets would probably feel more comfortable with a 6-year term, or a lower cap hit on a 7 or 8 year deal.

But the bigger issue seems to be that yet another coaching staff (hired by Chevy) views Ehlers as a secondary player. Whether or not that is crucial to Ehlers' decision about re-signing is a moot point if the Jets don't value him as a top core player. Their actions suggest that he is more likely to be traded to bring in other dimensions, rather than signing him to a big contract extension. That's unwise and disappointing to me, but that's how I read the Jets' intentions.

After the Helle and Schief signings I have retired my crystal ball. I did not see that coming at all, I was pretty sure they were both going to seek greener pastures.

I have no idea what will happen with Nik. The outcome that I would be most disappointed with is own rental of Nik for one last playoff run, I irony would kill me. :laugh:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
After the Helle and Schief signings I have retired my crystal ball. I did not see that coming at all, I was pretty sure they were both going to seek greener pastures.

I have no idea what will happen with Nik. The outcome that I would be most disappointed with is own rental of Nik for one last playoff run, I irony would kill me. :laugh:
The one difference I see between Scheifele/Hellebuyck and Ehlers is that the Jets clearly saw 55 and 37 as core players, but I'm less certain that they place that value on Ehlers. So the constraint might be more on the Jets' motivation in Ehlers' case.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
We could run out of space for sure. I'm also not 100% against moving a forward prospect (although I would hate to move Lambert, Yager, or Chibs at this point) for another piece, but IMO that return would need to be young with term as well like you mention. And that's only if you don't think Lambert can get there to be a 2C.

But we could also be in a position in the future where we aren't able to get Ehlers to sign, and maybe we lose both Names and Iafallo, and Appleton is offered too much for us to match in the offseason as well. And maybe Connor gets offered more than the Jets are willing to spend and/or wants a fresh start. Not saying any or all of this will happen, but it's possible we could see some significant roster changes as well and be happy to have the young players able to come in.

I guess my (current) ideal scenario is really just basically hoping that the "adding" we do at the TD is a even more improved Lambert (if he's at a stage that he could be an upgrade on Names). That way we're not moving another 1st or top prospect for a rental, and the guys like Lambert, Chibrikov, Lucius, and eventually Yager, Barlow, etc. are playing on their elc's to offset the increased contracts for Ehlers and Connor. We probably could really use another quality RHD prospect to go along with Salo too I think.
I think Connor is going to be an interesting one. He's going to be a problem for us if he's looking for something like an 8 year contract, he just doesn't bring enough other elements to his game to be effective once he slows down so that could end up in dead cap space.

I really hope we don't re-sign Ehlers. We're seeing him at his very best right now and once he loses his speed I don't know how he helps the team. I also worry that his next injury is right around the corner.

I'd rather try and do a bit of a reload and get guys like Lambert, Chibi, and god willing, Lucius into the lineup. We could even look at a FA or trade for a vet with less term to bridge the gap.

Eh...

Yeah I don't see a snowball's chance in hell we trade Perfetti. The club loves him (despite his sitting last year - keep in mind it was his first full pro season, that's not really a bizarre scenario). The org needs their blue chippers to develop and play in the NHL if we are going to remain competitive and Perfetti is exactly that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad