Speculation: 2024/25 Trade Rumours, Speculation etc Thread

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I don't like a game where Jets get badly outplayed but win. This is usually reflected in the shot count. The Edm game did not fall into that category. Jets were outshot by a wide margin. This would make the spreadsheet look bad but it was mostly a result of the score effect. Jets played well in that game.

It is not about the spreadsheets. No one cares if they look pretty or not. People do care if the team is playing well or not. There will always be games where they play badly and win and other games where they play well and lose. Some of that will be down to goaltending being better at one end than at the other. But a badly played win tends to lead to more bad play - and losses.

I overlook some stupid shit by Ehlers, not because he makes the spreadsheets look pretty but because he makes up for it with the good stuff. It is the good stuff that makes the spreadsheets look pretty. More bad play than good leads to ugly spreadsheets.
We can all have our hierchy of how we view games in terms of enjoyment, satisfaction, etc

For me (from most enjoyable to least), it's:

1. We ousthoot opponent and win
2. We get outshot and win
3. We outshoot and lose
4. We get outshot and lose

I swear some people just aren't happy unless it's #1. We can even outshoot our opponent and win and people will bitch if CSV gets outchanced, or their favorite pet player doesn't get the usage they think they should.

Those fans know who they are

Also, I'll mention that in all 4 of those scenarios, I still get enjoyment from watching the Jets play, regardless of outcome

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
why are we trading iaffalo?
They were responding to a scenario where "the jets are on the outside looking in", in that situation Iafallo is probably the easiest trade to make both in terms of the market for him and the Jets willingness to trade him from that spot.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We can all have our hierchy of how we view games in terms of enjoyment, satisfaction, etc

3. We outshoot and lose

I swear some people just aren't happy unless it's #1. We can even outshoot our opponent and win and people will bitch if CSV gets outchanced, or their favorite pet player doesn't get the usage they think they should.

Also, I'll mention that in all 4 of those scenarios, I still get enjoyment from watching the Jets play, regardless of outcome

:laugh: I don't enjoy 3 & 4 much. #3 is frustrating and #4 is disappointing and frustrating.

I would prefer using outplayed rather than outshot. I do watch the shot clock quite a bit but it doesn't always reflect the play. I also watch the SA for where they are coming from, in close vs perimeter and are the saves tough or easy. Same with the SF.

Sometimes there is an exception to #3. If it is a good, hard fought, fairly even game I can be disappointed by the outcome and still enjoy watching. I like a game like that where there is a fair amount of scoring and the lead changes hands back and forth.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I think Ehlers makes sense for the Jets long term if it's in the 7M range. The cap is going up and the Jets will have some room on the wings once Nino and Appleton and Iafallo move on.

However, it really depends on whether Arniel is open to expanding his line concept to try to build a more versatile top 9 and more impact from the 4th line. I liked that he tried flipping Nino and Ehlers to generate a bit more offence. But I expect Arniel will stick to a defensive 2nd line led by Lowry.

My take early this season is that Namestnikov and Perfetti have been weak parts of that 3rd line. Namestnikov has messed up a number of offensive possessions and Perfetti needs to play a bit faster and more aggressively with the puck. I actually think that moving Kupari or Lambert into the C role with Perfetti and Ehlers makes some sense. Kupari is actually pretty good in the D zone and he's a good forechecker. He's starting to see the play better on offense and doesn't mind going to the net.
I have confidence that ehlers & perfetti will be fine as a duo. they were a bit slow last year to start however ended up fine & positive in net goals together.

ehlers has a strong track record of playing with a variety of different players or linemates, or play-styles, & that line ending up on the positive side on the net-goals. Perfetti does need to play much much better to the expectations & comparisons some throw around here.

just basing off last year, really this team was carried by their goaltending and middle-6. not talked about enough is how scheifele's line is often on a negative side of the 5v5 game w/o ehlers, & really does not really carry this team at 5v5. maybe it's their duty be the sacrificial lamb against other teams :dunno:. how many PO/successful team's top line's have a similar strategy or can attest to this (i'll defer to others on this) it was 1 month where scheifele's line really carried this team in net goals. otherwise like i mentioned, this is a team where at 5v5 it's predominantly the middle 6 carrying them.

1728839323380.png

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
:laugh: I don't enjoy 3 & 4 much. #3 is frustrating and #4 is disappointing and frustrating.

I would prefer using outplayed rather than outshot. I do watch the shot clock quite a bit but it doesn't always reflect the play. I also watch the SA for where they are coming from, in close vs perimeter and are the saves tough or easy. Same with the SF.

Sometimes there is an exception to #3. If it is a good, hard fought, fairly even game I can be disappointed by the outcome and still enjoy watching. I like a game like that where there is a fair amount of scoring and the lead changes hands back and forth.
The reason I don't hate outshooting another team and losing to then is because we do it to other teams all the time lol

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Oddly, considering my wanting him waived out of TC, I like the idea of moving Kupari up. I had thought of that earlier in the context of what might get him going. Maybe better wingers would be the answer.

I wouldn't commit too hard to it of course, but it definitely would be worth a try. Especially since that line is floundering anyway.
What Kupari does is create pressure all over the ice with his size and speed, and he's shown some nice decisions with the puck. Perfetti and Ehlers can dangle and create offense but they might benefit from a C that can close gaps and support them defensively and on the forecheck.

I'd bet that Kupari wouldn't clear waivers. NHL teams keep a close tab on players, even if they haven't shown much in game action. It's becoming clear that Kupari generated a lot of positive buzz in training camp with coaches and players, and he's starting to show his skillset and potential in games now. He seems like a player that was rushed in development and then held back by injuries. He is now playing with two effective wingers in Barron and Iafallo, and they've been the Jets' most effective line through two games.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
But if he hasn't "meshed well" or was "unpredictable and difficult to play with", then why does the team consistently do better when he's on the ice?
if people want to shit on unpredictable play-styles..... neal pionk defensively is numero uno. terrible defensively in all aspects and can be a mystery box in terms of puck movement. but crickets when it comes to him.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

3. We outshoot and lose

Two seasons ago the Jets were out-shooting and out-playing teams but in a big slump and losing because of poor finishing and mediocre goaltending. Everyone hated that version of the team, including the coaches. Last season, the Jets had stretches where they won with good finishing and goaltending, despite being outshot and out-played. They were appreciated by fans and coaches.

Hockey games are often very random and I often think that the shot and xG metrics are misleading. If a team is scoring on their chances, they often get fewer shots and xG while the losing team is taking shots from all over the place and maintaining pressure because nothing is going in. You really can't assess performance through shot pressure in blowout games, especially if the home team is getting blown out.

When you look at a typical slate of games, it's usual for a big discrepancy between xG and goals, and the game outcome. The shot metrics really have more assessment and predictive value over a much larger sample size than a single game.
1000002817.png

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
if were in or near a playoff spot there would be no point in trading him, his value isn't that high
id be surprised if chevy made any trades involving players off the roster this early. ehlers, iafallo etc. this just isn't something he normally does. the 2 notable trade examples have been Kane+Bogo and Laine.... & those imo were primarily driven b/c of off ice stuff.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I have confidence that ehlers & perfetti will be fine as a duo. they were a bit slow last year to start however ended up fine & positive in net goals together.

ehlers has a strong track record of playing with a variety of different players or linemates, or play-styles, & that line ending up on the positive side on the net-goals. Perfetti does need to play much much better to the expectations & comparisons some throw around here.

just basing off last year, really this team was carried by their goaltending and middle-6. not talked about enough is how scheifele's line is often on a negative side of the 5v5 game w/o ehlers, & really does not really carry this team at 5v5. maybe it's their duty be the sacrificial lamb against other teams :dunno:. how many PO/successful team's top line's have a similar strategy or can attest to this (i'll defer to others on this) it was 1 month where scheifele's line really carried this team in net goals. otherwise like i mentioned, this is a team where at 5v5 it's predominantly the middle 6 carrying them.

View attachment 916142
Pretty strong case for uniting ehlers and scheif haha

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Unless...

Lambert earns a call up and/or Gustafsson replaces him on the 4th line.
Gustafsson knows his role and he gets paid near the league minimum for it. Iafallo is a hockey player...He makes plays in both ends of the rink. Seems to be rarely in a bad position. Kind of like another #9 who played here.

Jets can call up as many players as they want after the deadline, no roster limits, just cap space.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

3. We outshoot and lose

I've come to accept that no matter how much you want to talk hockey on these boards...hockey players, hockey plays, hockey systems, or even about the opposing team, there is always a graph or a pie chart coloured to capture your attention, to grind an angle or an axe. Or a number that isn't relevant to the score of the game. I want a pie chart for blocked shots, 1 on 1 battles, missed passes in the scoring areas. Zone entries. Not just shots fired, and ex girlfriends.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I've come to accept that no matter how much you want to talk hockey on these boards...hockey players, hockey plays, hockey systems, or even about the opposing team, there is always a graph or a pie chart coloured to capture your attention, to grind an angle or an axe. Or a number that isn't relevant to the score of the game. I want a pie chart for blocked shots, 1 on 1 battles, missed passes in the scoring areas. Zone entries. Not just shots fired, and ex girlfriends.
Loose puck retrievals is another. Unforced turnovers and where on the ice they occur

I promise you that all teams track some or all of those to some extent

The statsnerds will tell you that those things aren't important because they'll show up in the spreadsheets they love, but that's not true in every case

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad