Speculation: 2024/25 Trade Rumours, Speculation etc Thread

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Ehlers back on the 3rd line.

Sabres desperately need top-6 offensive talent (and excitement).

Is it too early for trade speculation... Ehlers to the Sabres?

Given the lack of talk about an extension ans the fact they have him on pp1 I wonder if they are trying to pump and dump him a bit. I'd want a top 6 forward with some jam.

Reactions: Buffdog

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Given the lack of talk about an extension ans the fact they have him on pp1 I wonder if they are trying to pump and dump him a bit. I'd want a top 6 forward with some jam.
An Alex Tuch would work well, though I don't see the Sabres giving up on a local kid from Syracuse NY.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
An Alex Tuch would work well, though I don't see the Sabres giving up on a local kid from Syracuse NY.

Yeah, I don't see him going anywhere. I don't see the Sabres as a good fit. All they have are futures and I doubt we are looking for futures if they move him.

Reactions: Bob E

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Sabres, of interest?

I think it would have centre around one of their young C or RW prospects... Quinn, Peterka, Benson, Helenius.

Tuch would be nice, but I doubt they'd give him up. Also, he has trade protection (and only 2 years to UFA).

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Sabres, of interest?

I think it would have centre around one of their young C or RW prospects... Quinn, Peterka, Benson, Helenius.

Tuch would be nice, but I doubt they'd give him up. Also, he has trade protection (and only 2 years to UFA).
I was gonna ask you who you would consider a fair return for Ehlers.

Gotta think Peterka and Benson would be off limits but I'd be listening if they put them on the table. Don't know much about Helenius.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm not advocating for an Ehlers trade, but they can't really justify letting a talented, valuable asset play out his last year before UFA as a low-minute 3rd line winger. He can't contribute much for the Jets and trading him could bring back a current and/or future asset of value.

It's too bad that Perfetti held out and set that line back in terms of chemistry and practice together. I think they still have a lot of potential, but it's hard to see Ehlers getting more ice time than Connor, Vilardi, Appleton and Nino, based on how Arniel has set up his line combos.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Really hoped Nik would of re sign by now and he still might but as the season plays on and nothing is done you have to move him at the deadline no matter the position in the standings. This team cannot afford to let him walk for nothing
If the Jets aren't serious about extending Ehlers, I could see them making a big trade before the TDL. It would have to be a hockey trade, which is harder to do at the TDL. Jets have the cap space to make it easy enough to find a fit for him.

At this point I think the 3rd line usage is more significant in terms of player value, moreso than convincing Ehlers to stay. If he's going to be used as a 3rd line winger, a trade could likely bring back more value considering short and long-term needs.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
If the Jets aren't serious about extending Ehlers, I could see them making a big trade before the TDL. It would have to be a hockey trade, which is harder to do at the TDL. Jets have the cap space to make it easy enough to find a fit for him.

At this point I think the 3rd line usage is more significant in terms of player value, moreso than convincing Ehlers to stay. If he's going to be used as a 3rd line winger, a trade could likely bring back more value considering short and long-term needs.
My preference is to sign Nik but your right and if the Jets already have an idea about his intentions that a trade during the season is what they should be looking at. A pending FA of his quality will attract many a team even more so if it's his desired landing spot which I'm sure his agent will convey.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Sabres, of interest?

I'd do Ehlers for Peterka all day long.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Hopefully we can get him signed and figure out the best way to use him for Ehlers and for the team. Money talks in these situations quite a bit.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
I'm not advocating for an Ehlers trade, but they can't really justify letting a talented, valuable asset play out his last year before UFA as a low-minute 3rd line winger. He can't contribute much for the Jets and trading him could bring back a current and/or future asset of value.

It's too bad that Perfetti held out and set that line back in terms of chemistry and practice together. I think they still have a lot of potential, but it's hard to see Ehlers getting more ice time than Connor, Vilardi, Appleton and Nino, based on how Arniel has set up his line combos.

I feel the same... I like the player but if the Jets are gonna give him 3rd line minutes (and in the process kill any chance of re-signing him) then I'd rather move him for some assets. Ehlers walking to UFA while he is not contributing much playing 15 minutes a night is not a scenario the Jets should be comfortable with.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
IMO the main issue is that for whatever reason Ehlers hasn't meshed well with any of the other Jets. His talent is above average, so a trade for an equivalent quality player might make sense.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
IMO the main issue is that for whatever reason Ehlers hasn't meshed well with any of the other Jets. His talent is above average, so a trade for an equivalent quality player might make sense.
"Whatever reason" is that he's unpredictable and difficult to play with

Reactions: hockeyarena

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Hopefully we can get him signed and figure out the best way to use him for Ehlers and for the team. Money talks in these situations quite a bit.
If we overpay it just paints us into a corner. Let’s first see if ehlers can be healthy all season and not serve up pizzas like he did tonight.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Once the Jets are out of all the players on IR I think the following trade would be great:

To Jets: Tim Liljegren

To Leafs: Logan Stanley

Liljegren seems to be out of favor with the new group running things in Toronto and is being shopped. Leafs get a d-man that more fits the philosophy of their coach and management group and some cap flexibility.

The Jets can just about fit this under their cap once they are healthy. They get a young puck moving defense-man who can play the 3rd pairing this year and push Pionk on the 2nd pairing and then when next season when Pionk is UFA he is the heir apparent on the 2nd pairing D role. Even if he doesn't work out his cap hit is manageable and he is only under contract for 2 seasons so the Jets don't lose much even in the worst case scenario.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
You don't put a guy on your 1st unit PP to trade him, that's giving him an opportunity to increase his worth...I think the Jets are in a position still to negotiate after the season is done. With De Melo not signing and having a standout career year, it paid off, and maybe those UFA having something extra to bring as such. And you wait until the season/playoffs end before you start negotiating with anyone this year.
Once the Jets are out of all the players on IR I think the following trade would be great:

To Jets: Tim Liljegren

To Leafs: Logan Stanley

Liljegren seems to be out of favor with the new group running things in Toronto and is being shopped. Leafs get a d-man that more fits the philosophy of their coach and management group and some cap flexibility.

The Jets can just about fit this under their cap once they are healthy. They get a young puck moving defense-man who can play the 3rd pairing this year and push Pionk on the 2nd pairing and then when next season when Pionk is UFA he is the heir apparent on the 2nd pairing D role. Even if he doesn't work out his cap hit is manageable and he is only under contract for 2 seasons so the Jets don't lose much even in the worst case scenario.
Chynoweth coached on that team last year and couldn't get much out of Liljegren.
Maybe he's another Sandin, but I haven't seen it.

I definitely think the Jets don't want puck movers only, they want some big bodies, who can play physical, box out the net, and block shots on the PK. I'd say the Jets have 4 guys, including Heinola they can use on the PP. And probably 7 guys, minus Heinola, they can use on the PK, though keeping Josh's minutes down there might help his 5 on 5. Liljegren is a redundancy on Heinola, who still needs to prove himself, imo.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I definitely think the Jets don't want puck movers only, they want some big bodies, who can play physical, box out the net, and block shots on the PK. I'd say the Jets have 4 guys, including Heinola they can use on the PP. And probably 7 guys, minus Heinola, they can use on the PK, though keeping Josh's minutes down there might help his 5 on 5. Liljegren is a redundancy on Heinola, who still needs to prove himself, imo.
I agree -
The Jets want guys that can defend - the team is being game planned as a defense first group with a high level of compete - with Helle to reinforce.
What exactly are puck movers? Guys that can make that first pass in their zone rather than a wraparound? Rhetorical question actually since any Dman worth his salt can make a pass - if they can win a battle first.
If you can find a dman that can win that battle and remain composed through the process, they can likely make an outlet pass.
Who do we have that can do that consistently? IMO, no one on the current 3rd pairing and one on each of the top two pairings (Samberg and JoMo).

Looks like Miller is our 3rd pair RHD - and he'll need a d first partner since he is bad at playing defense. This will be interesting to see how it shakes out - but I think the winner of the 3rd pair LHD battle will be the guy that can be effective defending over anything they might add on offense.

As far as PP dmen go, yeah - we have a few of those. Guys that can be very effective under little pressure in the ozone (PP) - we don't need more of them.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You don't put a guy on your 1st unit PP to trade him, that's giving him an opportunity to increase his worth...I think the Jets are in a position still to negotiate after the season is done. With De Melo not signing and having a standout career year, it paid off, and maybe those UFA having something extra to bring as such. And you wait until the season/playoffs end before you start negotiating with anyone this year.

Chynoweth coached on that team last year and couldn't get much out of Liljegren.
Maybe he's another Sandin, but I haven't seen it.

Opposite sides.

It looks like Fleury might push Stan down. If he can maintain his current level of play he makes Stan redundant.

Lilj would push Miller down. Miller hasn't looked good so far in spite of playing with a partner who appears to me to have been playing pretty well. It is only 2 games and maybe he will get better. But if not, Liljegren would be an upgrade there at least.

OTOH, Salo might be ready to push Miller out after 15-20 games if Miller is not much better. It was already close in TC. That would make a trade for Lilj redundant.

Our D in Dec, if healthy, could look like:
JMo - DeMelo
Snerg - Pionk
Fleury/Ville - Salomonsson
Fleury/Ville - Stanley

At that point I go with 8 D because any we waive would be lost. The waived man would be our depth at LD. Miller gets waived and may or may not be claimed but we would still have Coglan and Lundmark for RHD depth on the the Moose. That is assuming Coglan isn't claimed on the way down.

Stan may become trade bait, depending on how Fleury and Ville are doing.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I agree -
The Jets want guys that can defend - the team is being game planned as a defense first group with a high level of compete - with Helle to reinforce.
What exactly are puck movers? Guys that can make that first pass in their zone rather than a wraparound? Rhetorical question actually since any Dman worth his salt can make a pass - if they can win a battle first.
If you can find a dman that can win that battle and remain composed through the process, they can likely make an outlet pass.
Who do we have that can do that consistently? IMO, no one on the current 3rd pairing and one on each of the top two pairings (Samberg and JoMo).

Looks like Miller is our 3rd pair RHD - and he'll need a d first partner since he is bad at playing defense. This will be interesting to see how it shakes out - but I think the winner of the 3rd pair LHD battle will be the guy that can be effective defending over anything they might add on offense.

As far as PP dmen go, yeah - we have a few of those. Guys that can be very effective under little pressure in the ozone (PP) - we don't need more of them.

I think every Dman should be an effective puck mover. That doesn't mean he needs to be able to make end-to-end rushes. It means that he needs to be able to get the puck out of the D zone with possession. The player who can do that will also be able to move the puck in the N zone. Same skill set. Doesn't matter if he is doing it via passing or carrying the puck, as long as he is moving it in the right direction with possession.

That applies to defense oriented players and to offense oriented players - big and small, fast or slow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad