Speculation: 2024/25 Trade Rumours, Speculation etc Thread

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Ehlers back on the 3rd line.

Sabres desperately need top-6 offensive talent (and excitement).

Is it too early for trade speculation... Ehlers to the Sabres?

Given the lack of talk about an extension ans the fact they have him on pp1 I wonder if they are trying to pump and dump him a bit. I'd want a top 6 forward with some jam.

Reactions: Buffdog

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Given the lack of talk about an extension ans the fact they have him on pp1 I wonder if they are trying to pump and dump him a bit. I'd want a top 6 forward with some jam.
An Alex Tuch would work well, though I don't see the Sabres giving up on a local kid from Syracuse NY.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
An Alex Tuch would work well, though I don't see the Sabres giving up on a local kid from Syracuse NY.

Yeah, I don't see him going anywhere. I don't see the Sabres as a good fit. All they have are futures and I doubt we are looking for futures if they move him.

Reactions: Bob E

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Sabres, of interest?

I think it would have centre around one of their young C or RW prospects... Quinn, Peterka, Benson, Helenius.

Tuch would be nice, but I doubt they'd give him up. Also, he has trade protection (and only 2 years to UFA).

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Sabres, of interest?

I think it would have centre around one of their young C or RW prospects... Quinn, Peterka, Benson, Helenius.

Tuch would be nice, but I doubt they'd give him up. Also, he has trade protection (and only 2 years to UFA).
I was gonna ask you who you would consider a fair return for Ehlers.

Gotta think Peterka and Benson would be off limits but I'd be listening if they put them on the table. Don't know much about Helenius.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm not advocating for an Ehlers trade, but they can't really justify letting a talented, valuable asset play out his last year before UFA as a low-minute 3rd line winger. He can't contribute much for the Jets and trading him could bring back a current and/or future asset of value.

It's too bad that Perfetti held out and set that line back in terms of chemistry and practice together. I think they still have a lot of potential, but it's hard to see Ehlers getting more ice time than Connor, Vilardi, Appleton and Nino, based on how Arniel has set up his line combos.

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Really hoped Nik would of re sign by now and he still might but as the season plays on and nothing is done you have to move him at the deadline no matter the position in the standings. This team cannot afford to let him walk for nothing

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Really hoped Nik would of re sign by now and he still might but as the season plays on and nothing is done you have to move him at the deadline no matter the position in the standings. This team cannot afford to let him walk for nothing
If the Jets aren't serious about extending Ehlers, I could see them making a big trade before the TDL. It would have to be a hockey trade, which is harder to do at the TDL. Jets have the cap space to make it easy enough to find a fit for him.

At this point I think the 3rd line usage is more significant in terms of player value, moreso than convincing Ehlers to stay. If he's going to be used as a 3rd line winger, a trade could likely bring back more value considering short and long-term needs.

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
If the Jets aren't serious about extending Ehlers, I could see them making a big trade before the TDL. It would have to be a hockey trade, which is harder to do at the TDL. Jets have the cap space to make it easy enough to find a fit for him.

At this point I think the 3rd line usage is more significant in terms of player value, moreso than convincing Ehlers to stay. If he's going to be used as a 3rd line winger, a trade could likely bring back more value considering short and long-term needs.
My preference is to sign Nik but your right and if the Jets already have an idea about his intentions that a trade during the season is what they should be looking at. A pending FA of his quality will attract many a team even more so if it's his desired landing spot which I'm sure his agent will convey.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
unless ehlers is willing to extend with the team that trades for him people are probably going to end up disappointed with the return...

Reactions: Buffdog

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Sabres, of interest?

I'd do Ehlers for Peterka all day long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad