Speculation: 2024/25 Trade Rumours, Speculation etc Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Might have been lucky here but I am very doubtful that Namestnikov is a long term option at 2C and I'm also doubtful that the org has anyone capable of pushing him out either.

It's why they actually needed to give the Perfetti center experiment a legit shot last year. Now they are going into another contention year with a major question mark at 2C. They clearly aren't comfortable with Name as they have tried to replace him numerous times over the last year.

We are looking like once again we will be in the market for a center at the deadline and it will cost us another quality asset that imo we really can't afford to part with.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
It's why they actually needed to give the Perfetti center experiment a legit shot last year. Now they are going into another contention year with a major question mark at 2C. They clearly aren't comfortable with Name as they have tried to replace him numerous times over the last year.

We are looking like once again we will be in the market for a center at the deadline and it will cost us another quality asset that imo we really can't afford to part with.

I know you're higher than most on Perfetti, I'm not sure I see him as a long term 2C option anyway. If he's going to get a shot though it'll be this year. I don't see the team as being as competitive as last year.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I know you're higher than most on Perfetti, I'm not sure I see him as a long term 2C option anyway. If he's going to get a shot though it'll be this year. I don't see the team as being as competitive as last year.

He very well may not be, but hard to know when you don't actually give it a chance to playout.

I feel the org would have been much better for it had they given him a good 20 games and then made a call.

As for this year, it seems that ship has sailed as Arniel has indicated he likes him on the wing. But who knows, injuries or underperformance from Name could force his hand.

Reactions: Board Bard

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
If Ville doesn’t get back first on dump ins to his side and move the puck then I don’t see him playing a meaningful role. His defense will need to pass the sniff test. Our #1 D man by a mile, Morrissey, is in the same category “size wise” as Ville yet Josh is perfectly capable of defending and physical “engagement” in the corners by using technique, body positioning, and a great active stick.

Heinola is 23 starting his draft +6 season and most guys that play in the top 4 in the NHL have made it by that time so I’m not holding my breath. Same goes for Stanley who is 26 now (3 years older than Ville) and has some flaws holding him back from being in our top 4.

The good news for both these home growns is Dillon and Nate left or were moved out so there are two open spots in our top 6. I am also expecting a normalizing of man games lost to our D core this season so there should be no shortage of opportunity “IF” either guy steps up.

Chevy brought in a few journeymen and Salomonsson will be in Winnipeg so let the competition begin.

How players seasons unfold is tough to predict but I am “hoping” one of the positive storylines involves someone taking advantage of these vacancies.
Chevy didn't bring in journeyman if Salo was pushing for a spot this year - he's 100% Moose

Don't see Ville as overage since he's now tracking on same path as samberg (if he didn't get injured) so if he will be sheltered this year then top four next

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Might have been lucky here but I am very doubtful that Namestnikov is a long term option at 2C and I'm also doubtful that the org has anyone capable of pushing him out either.

I'm doubtful that the org has anyone capable of pushing him out in the short term. I'm hoping that Names has 1 more year playing as well as he did the first half of last season. One more year and the org should have someone capable of taking over.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
If Ville doesn’t get back first on dump ins to his side and move the puck then I don’t see him playing a meaningful role. His defense will need to pass the sniff test. Our #1 D man by a mile, Morrissey, is in the same category “size wise” as Ville yet Josh is perfectly capable of defending and physical “engagement” in the corners by using technique, body positioning, and a great active stick.

Heinola is 23 starting his draft +6 season and most guys that play in the top 4 in the NHL have made it by that time so I’m not holding my breath. Same goes for Stanley who is 26 now (3 years older than Ville) and has some flaws holding him back from being in our top 4.

The good news for both these home growns is Dillon and Nate left or were moved out so there are two open spots in our top 6. I am also expecting a normalizing of man games lost to our D core this season so there should be no shortage of opportunity “IF” either guy steps up.

Chevy brought in a few journeymen and Salomonsson will be in Winnipeg so let the competition begin.

How players seasons unfold is tough to predict but I am “hoping” one of the positive storylines involves someone taking advantage of these vacancies.

Looking at Heinola's draft class, it's only Seider, Byram, Harley, Jackson Lacombe, Zac Jones, Jordan Spence who have made the NHL so far. Only 6 NHL defensemen from a draft class seems low, I don't think it's fair to write off the guys you haven't made it yet, especially when they are on teams trying to win now. But you are right, the clock is ticking and this year will probably make or break Heinola, but I also expect him to be given some good opportunities.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Looking at Heinola's draft class, it's only Seider, Byram, Harley, Jackson Lacombe, Zac Jones, Jordan Spence who have made the NHL so far. Only 6 NHL defensemen from a draft class seems low, I don't think it's fair to write off the guys you haven't made it yet, especially when they are on teams trying to win now. But you are right, the clock is ticking and this year will probably make or break Heinola, but I also expect him to be given some good opportunities.

This is pretty much his make or break it year here. He needs to atleast establish himself as a competent bottom pairing dmen or he'll be passed on the depth chart fairly quickly imo.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This is pretty much his make or break it year here. He needs to atleast establish himself as a competent bottom pairing dmen or he'll be passed on the depth chart fairly quickly imo.

He'll be passed by Logan Stanley! :laugh:

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

What's the difference starting lambert at c this year - you were stoked about perfetti in the same spot last year and now that it's not him it's a crisis

Reactions: Buffdog

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
What's the difference starting lambert at c this year - you were stoked about perfetti in the same spot last year and now that it's not him it's a crisis

Because they won't start Lambert at 2C this year. Arniel pretty much stated it was Namestnikov earlier this summer.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
My perspective is that Lowry is the de facto the 2C based on ice-time and his line consistently out-scores top-6 opponents (+17 at 5v5 last season). If they add a good offensive player on RW to go along with Lowry and Nino they would have a strong and balanced 2nd line (the way the Canes do with J Staal and the Panthers do with Bennett). Then use Namestnikov as the de facto 3C with some play-driving wingers that can add some offense. Last season Namestnikov was +13 at 5v5. Together, those two were a combined +30 in goal differential at 5v5 last season, which is very good for your middle-6 lines.

The Jets' strength is on the wings, but Lowry and Namestnikov give them really solid defensive and possession Cs in the middle two lines. If Arniel can find a better way to augment those two lines with 4 talented wingers, I don't think that will be a big issue. The bigger issue for the Jets' forwards is finding a way to ensure that Scheifele's line (with Connor) is able to have a stronger positive balance in goal and shot metrics.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I won't dispute that. But that would not make him a more effective C than Names.
As a faceoff guy, if you win draws in the offensive zone, on the PP you increase the chances of scoring. If the Jets feel like they need a player like that, you can end up taking a lot of different draws with different line combinations. I think of Bryan Little being out there when the team needed a late game goal. So I try not to say that Namestnikov is a better centre. Skating wise 91%

Penalty kill faceoffs are just as important.

If there is a position I am not entirely confident in the Jets depth wise it's at center...Last year the top 3 stayed healthy...Kupari and Gus battled injuries. When Barron centred Iafallo and Namestnikov that was a 4th that could play.

Toninato has been a reliable callup at the bottom of the lineup. My premonition is that the Jets want Lambert to get a little more time to grow his game and to have somebody ready as top 6 depth. Henrique would have been a guy who I think would have started at 2c ahead of Namestnikov. But they would have battled it out throughout the year.

I wonder if Anderson-Dolan might be a guy who has something to prove in TC. Maybe some familiarity with some former Kings is to his advantage.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
My perspective is that Lowry is the de facto the 2C based on ice-time and his line consistently out-scores top-6 opponents (+17 at 5v5 last season). If they add a good offensive player on RW to go along with Lowry and Nino they would have a strong and balanced 2nd line (the way the Canes do with J Staal and the Panthers do with Bennett). Then use Namestnikov as the de facto 3C with some play-driving wingers that can add some offense. Last season Namestnikov was +13 at 5v5. Together, those two were a combined +30 in goal differential at 5v5 last season, which is very good for your middle-6 lines.

The Jets' strength is on the wings, but Lowry and Namestnikov give them really solid defensive and possession Cs in the middle two lines. If Arniel can find a better way to augment those two lines with 4 talented wingers, I don't think that will be a big issue. The bigger issue for the Jets' forwards is finding a way to ensure that Scheifele's line (with Connor) is able to have a stronger positive balance in goal and shot metrics.

It’s a good post.

We don’t currently have a #2 offensive centre but we have effective functional #2 and #3 defensive centres. Build around them with scoring wingers and let’s get at it. We did very well with this approach last year.

Jets are going to play to “win now”. I am not convinced we would have been materially better off with a Henrique or Monahan type filling a #2 centre spot for us.

I also agree our bigger challenge is our #1 line getting out scored too often.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
As a faceoff guy, if you win draws in the offensive zone, on the PP you increase the chances of scoring. If the Jets feel like they need a player like that, you can end up taking a lot of different draws with different line combinations. I think of Bryan Little being out there when the team needed a late game goal. So I try not to say that Namestnikov is a better centre. Skating wise 91%

Penalty kill faceoffs are just as important.

If there is a position I am not entirely confident in the Jets depth wise it's at center...Last year the top 3 stayed healthy...Kupari and Gus battled injuries. When Barron centred Iafallo and Namestnikov that was a 4th that could play.

Toninato has been a reliable callup at the bottom of the lineup. My premonition is that the Jets want Lambert to get a little more time to grow his game and to have somebody ready as top 6 depth. Henrique would have been a guy who I think would have started at 2c ahead of Namestnikov. But they would have battled it out throughout the year.

I wonder if Anderson-Dolan might be a guy who has something to prove in TC. Maybe some familiarity with some former Kings is to his advantage.

FOs are such a small difference maker that I don't give it a lot of weight. There are obvious situations where they are more important than others but still not enough to sway my opinion of a C by very much.

Something that I think I see but that I never see mentioned is the entire sequence of a FO play. It is much more than just the puck drop. Very often, the team whose C wins the puck does not get controlled possession. I think you need to watch for that when evaluating FOs.

But FO discussion aside, Names was effective at C. Look at W/L with him there and look at his line's net production. So I am not too worried if we have to end up with him at 2C, despite relatively low personal scoring and FO W%.

I would prefer a long term solution but he will do until we develop one.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
FOs are such a small difference maker that I don't give it a lot of weight. There are obvious situations where they are more important than others but still not enough to sway my opinion of a C by very much.

Something that I think I see but that I never see mentioned is the entire sequence of a FO play. It is much more than just the puck drop. Very often, the team whose C wins the puck does not get controlled possession. I think you need to watch for that when evaluating FOs.

But FO discussion aside, Names was effective at C. Look at W/L with him there and look at his line's net production. So I am not too worried if we have to end up with him at 2C, despite relatively low personal scoring and FO W%.

More like he will do until the trade deadline ;)

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

I like Namestnikov but his production was spread around different lines. He was good on the 4th line, as a winger. Became 2c from the moment Perfetti was moved to the wing...his defensive game is good, so he's essentially the Copp replacement without the faceoffs. The Jets brought Monahan in specifically for faceoffs, both zones, and to be a bumper guy on the PP. So both those roles are going to have to be solved internally going into the season. I realize that most faceoffs have no significance but want to see a coach with an angry look watch a lost draw end up in the back of the net. On the PK especially winning a clean draw is 20 seconds off the clock, if played right. For a coach drawing up offensive zone plays is usually based on won or scrambled draws. Namestnikov doesn't take many d-zone faceoffs, and he is a good enough skater to play at Ehlers pace, so it could be a non factor...but if Chevy was fishing for a C in the offseason good chance he might not be satisfied with the roster as it stands. Since it's hard to get quality players here might have to be patient with Lambert, Lucius and Yager and see where it goes.

I suppose the sample size last year was large enough for him to pass grade, but Pionk's success with Samberg is generally written off.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Just a reminder that a 2/3 line featuring Perfetti-Namestnikov (with either Ehlers or Iafallo on RW) scored goals at a rate equivalent to Connor-Scheifele-Vilardi, while allowing fewer goals against.

Table below is 5v5 rates per 60, adjusted for score and venue.

1000002318.png

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
the Lowry line needs to be way better & consistent offensively to be a top-6 line. Appreciate the defensive efforts & whatnot, however, this team as a whole generally rates well on the GA side given Helle is in net. ie: the 2nd line w/ namestnikov or monahan, ESV had GA rates ~2 GA/60 or under (which is v good).

among fwds of similar mins in GF, using Lowry as a reference point for our 3rd line, ranked 160/188 in NHL Fwds & 166th in GF/60.

Reactions: WolfHouse

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
the Lowry line needs to be way better & consistent offensively to be a top-6 line. Appreciate the defensive efforts & whatnot, however, this team as a whole generally rates well on the GA side given Helle is in net. ie: the 2nd line w/ namestnikov or monahan, ESV had GA rates ~2 GA/60 or under (which is v good).

among fwds of similar mins in GF, using Lowry as a reference point for our 3rd line, ranked 160/188 in NHL Fwds & 166th in GF/60.
But If you start in the d-zone, you get miscast in offensive production. Outscoring your opponent is the name of the game. Do that job and you succeeded. Top 2 lines generally get more offensize zone time, so they should have higher production. And get beat less often, which has been the already stated problem. Getting 4 lines that can keep momentum and pace up means that the checking line doesn't get as much ice time. But I am sure glad when Lowry is out there in the PK. That's an area of leadership that I hope translates into better results this year.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
But If you start in the d-zone, you get miscast in offensive production. Outscoring your opponent is the name of the game. Do that job and you succeeded. Top 2 lines generally get more offensize zone time, so they should have higher production. And get beat less often, which has been the already stated problem. Getting 4 lines that can keep momentum and pace up means that the checking line doesn't get as much ice time. But I am sure glad when Lowry is out there in the PK. That's an area of leadership that I hope translates into better results this year.
They're used often as a 2nd line. How many second lines you know from great teams are composed of 3 30pt players.

Reactions: Mathil8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad