Salary Cap: 2024-25 Salary cap

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
We'll have $17.9M (=7.4 + 10.5 Price) available in salary cap.

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/montreal-canadiens-salary-cap-chart-visualization-situation-2024-25-season-aav-cap-hit-contracts-juraj-slafkovsky-carey-price-kaiden-guhle-arber-xhekaj/

Months ago, I've heard many people saying that we'll have more than $20M in cap, some even mentioned $25M. What am I missing here ? $17.9M is much lower than I expected.

Since the deadline, we added ~$3M against the cap with Allen's retained salary and bonus carryforwards of just over $1M.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Yeah, we don't have $20m-$25m in cap space.

Currently, we have just over $9m in cap space, which includes Price on our roster and not on LTIR.

Roster: $62.795m
Forwards: $46.4m
Defense: $12.355m
Goal: $4.04m

Deadcap: $5.291,25m
Retained Salary: $4.268,75m
Bonus Overages: $1.022,5m

Price: $10.5m

Total: $78,586,250

Max Cap: $87.7m

Cap Space: +$9,113,750

You're allowed to go above 10% on the Max Cap in summer, so summer cap is $87.7m + $8.77m = $96.47m. Our absolute max cap space is $17,883,750.

However, there's no way Montreal does that. My expectation for Montreal this year is for Price to be on IR and not on LTIR for the entire year.

So far, I've been right as far as how Montreal approaches the Price contract.

In year one, they put him on pre-season LTIR, maximized his cap space (brought in Monahan), and put Byron and others on LTIR in season to provide cap room.

In year two, they went over by about $1m and a bit, sent down a few players before Opening Day, put Price on LTIR on day one creating our cap space for us then recalled the players.

In year 3, the goal is not to put Price on LTIR, but to have him fit within the roster and accrue cap space. If we do this, it will ensure no bonus overages for the 2025-2026 season, and all of our dead cap will be gone (except for Gallagher's & maybe Anderson's contracts lol) for that season.

In summer 2025, with only one year left on his contract, the hope is Montreal can trade Price to a team that needs to reach the cap floor. Potential teams are Chicago and San Jose.

We will have completely reset the stupid cap situation Bergevin left by summer of 2025 by continuing in this way.

I expect us to do very little this summer.

As far as contracts go:

Barron: one year, one-way, $950k
Xhekaj: two year, one-way, $950k & $1.2m

That gives us $5m-$6m in cap space to add someone in UFA depending on how much space Montreal wants to start the season with.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Currently, we have just over $9m in cap space, which includes Price on our roster and not on LTIR.

You're allowed to go above 10% on the Max Cap in summer, so summer cap is $87.7m + $8.77m = $96.47m. Our absolute max cap space is $17,883,750.

However, there's no way Montreal does that. My expectation for Montreal this year is for Price to be on IR and not on LTIR for the entire year.

In year one, they put him on pre-season LTIR, maximized his cap space (brought in Monahan), and put Byron and others on LTIR in season to provide cap room.

In year two, they went over by about $1m and a bit, sent down a few players before Opening Day, put Price on LTIR on day one creating our cap space for us then recalled the players.

In year 3, the goal is not to put Price on LTIR, but to have him fit within the roster and accrue cap space. If we do this, it will ensure no bonus overages for the 2025-2026 season, and all of our dead cap will be gone (except for Gallagher's & maybe Anderson's contracts lol) for that season.

In summer 2025, with only one year left on his contract, the hope is Montreal can trade Price to a team that needs to reach the cap floor. Potential teams are Chicago and San Jose.

We will have completely reset the stupid cap situation Bergevin left by summer of 2025 by continuing in this way.

As far as contracts go:

That gives us $5m-$6m in cap space to add someone in UFA depending on how much space Montreal wants to start the season with.
We can't do much then can we

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
We can't do much then can we

And it's fine, we want to give space for the kids to learn and develop.

We're pretty close to "it", there will soon be a tsunami of prospects coming and we need to be ready.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
And it's fine, we want to give space for the kids to learn and develop.

We're pretty close to "it", there will soon be a tsunami of prospects coming and we need to be ready.
It's good that way.

No, but if we get a young player the contract might be cheaper. Newhook signed for $2.9m. Someone like William Carrier could help the 4th line. He would come under $2m. Hughes has said not to expect much via UFA.

I expect them to be conservative again.
I expect another Dach Newhook type trade. A young player before they break out, on moderate contract

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
No, but if we get a young player the contract might be cheaper. Newhook signed for $2.9m. Someone like William Carrier could help the 4th line. He would come under $2m. Hughes has said not to expect much via UFA.

I expect them to be conservative again.
Or Kakko who I expect we make a move on with the 26th

Reactions: Miller Time

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
I think Kakko was overhyped. Around 300 NHL games, it's basically what you going to get. I certainly wouldn't give up Jets pick for him.

A lot from Finnish league overhyped. Puljujarvi, Kotkaniemi, etc...
I could easily see him becoming a Josh Bailey type with the right development from here on out

Kaiden Ghoul

Youppi va t’il devoir chauser ses patins calvaince
Jan 19, 2020
Or Kakko who I expect we make a move on with the 26th

Would do that... i believe he still can put 45 -50 points while providing elite defensive play

Slaf Kakko Suzuki would be a really great bunch 2 way player with Roy on the way, Dach is also solid

Oh hes also 6f2 200+Lbs

Reactions: Miller Time

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I could see us with a tweak to the bottom 6 and picking up a ufa, but other than that it will be a hockey trade or two which will have money in and money going out.....
They have managed the cap very well while stock piling picks and some prospects.

The three things I am excited about this upcoming season....
Dach staying healthy
Adding a young RFA in a hockey trade
Picking a good young F with #5

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/montreal-canadiens-salary-cap-chart-visualization-situation-2024-25-season-aav-cap-hit-contracts-juraj-slafkovsky-carey-price-kaiden-guhle-arber-xhekaj/

Months ago, I've heard many people saying that we'll have more than $20M in cap, some even mentioned $25M. What am I missing here ? $17.9M is much lower than I expected.
Don't remember anyone saying 25m, but we are at 19.6m in cap space right now with Price on LTIR, we were over 20m a few months ago because the 1m in cap overages wasn't being taken into account.

I would suggest using capfriendly for an accurate account over the website you linked.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI

As far as contracts go:

The other possibility for moving Price earlier would be a situation similar to when the Habs moved Shea Weber's contract -- find a team that needs to free up cap space to make a Cup run and sends an unwanted expiring contract for Price in order to put him on LTIR. I am not sure if there is a team that fits this situation for the upcoming season, though.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
The other possibility for moving Price earlier would be a situation similar to when the Habs moved Shea Weber's contract -- find a team that needs to free up cap space to make a Cup run and sends an unwanted expiring contract for Price in order to put him on LTIR. I am not sure if there is a team that fits this situation for the upcoming season, though.

Vegas kind of is again, but they have an LTIR candidate already in Lehner. They don't have anyone like Dadonov to trade and I don't see them trading either one of Theodore or McNabb.

NYI. I know they're trying to move Pageau, but he has 2 years left on his contract.

TB, but like Vegas they don't have a Dadonov type contract unless they want to move Jeannot.

Price still has heavy payouts for bonuses, so I don't expect we'll move him until his final signing bonus is given out.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
What kind of bonuses are you expecting them to hit next season? Like 1-2M?

Seems like a very minor thing to be concerned about.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
What kind of bonuses are you expecting them to hit next season? Like 1-2M?

Seems like a very minor thing to be concerned about.

It depends on who makes the team. Still it would be nice to not have any dead cap next year. But, if Montreal really wants to sign someone, they can put Price on LTIR on Opening day like last season and use that cap space.

Reactions: Twisted Sinister

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

As far as contracts go:

Harris got a 2 year bridge at $1.4M. I suspect that's close to what Barron and Xhekaj get. For the purpose of safe cap room, I put them both in at $2M for 2 years.

I built a 23 man roster with $14.9M in cap space. It calculates everything for you on cap friendly (armchair GM module). This includes the overages and the retained salaries.

I think there will be changes but we do have lots of cap. I think there is a fair chance Dvorak is with us till TDL (we can use his center depth) but not sure about Armia.

4Fr14oQ.png

If no changes and both Barron and Xhekaj are bridged, I got $14.9M in cap room. This is the most accurate (cap friendly armchair GM).

Reactions: ReHabs

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Harris got a 2 year bridge at $1.4M. I suspect that's close to what Barron and Xhekaj get. For the purpose of safe cap room, I put them both in at $2M for 2 years.

I built a 23 man roster with $14.9M in cap space. It calculates everything for you on cap friendly (armchair GM module). This includes the overages and the retained salaries.

I think there will be changes but we do have lots of cap. I think there is a fair chance Dvorak is with us till TDL (we can use his center depth) but not sure about Armia.

4Fr14oQ.png

Neither is getting close to $2m per. I think they both come in under Harris, as they were AHLers at one point this year, while Harris never went down to the A.

Also, I don't see Price on your cap?

Reactions: Habs 4 ever

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Neither is getting close to $2m per. I think they both come in under Harris, as they were AHLers at one point this year, while Harris never went down to the A.

Also, I don't see Price on your cap?

Price is there on LTIR. Just not captured in the window snip. I really like that armchair GM module. It's fun to use and it's accurate. With the LTIR contracts, it doesn't add to the cap ceiling like the main page, it just subtracts it

Yes, I said $2M for both Barron and Xhekaj to calculate safe cap room. If they are at Harris or under, add $1M... so it's 23 players with around $16M in cap.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad