Salary Cap: 2024-25 Salary cap

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Neither is getting close to $2m per. I think they both come in under Harris, as they were AHLers at one point this year, while Harris never went down to the A.

Also, I don't see Price on your cap?
Given what Molson and Hughes have said, Price has to go on LTIR because it's ridiculous to start a competitive season with only less than 76m committed against an 86m cap ceiling and actually expect to make the playoffs.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Price is there on LTIR. Just not captured in the window snip. I really like that armchair GM module. It's fun to use and it's accurate. With the LTIR contracts, it doesn't add to the cap ceiling like the main page, it just subtracts it

Yes, I said $2M for both Barron and Xhekaj to calculate safe cap room. If they are at Harris or under, add $1M... so it's 23 players with around $16M in cap.

Yeah, but Price's contract counts against our cap. You also don't have our retained salaries, which is $4.268m, unless that's off the window, too.

Capfriendly.com has us @ $9.113m for cap space, which is far more accurate and likely what they'll be budgeting this off-season on.

Reactions: Habs 4 ever

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Given what Molson and Hughes have said, Price has to go on LTIR because it's ridiculous to start a competitive season with only less than 76m committed against an 86m cap ceiling and actually expect to make the playoffs.

I didn't think we were going for the playoffs. Just wanting to be competitive. I didn't hear that they've already decided on that.

That still gives around $10m in space.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah, but Price's contract counts against our cap. You also don't have our retained salaries, which is $4.268m, unless that's off the window, too.

Capfriendly.com has us @ $9.113m for cap space, which is far more accurate and likely what they'll be budgeting this off-season on.

I confident the 23 man roster with around $15M - $16M is correct on armchair cap friendly. $15M - $16M depending on what Xhekaj and Barron get.

* Price on LTIR is factored in
* Retained salaries are factored in
* Carry over bonuses from last year is factored in

The $9M in cap space you see right now does not have Price's space added. The $78.6M cap hit includes Prices contract. So increase the $87.7M by another $10.5M (cap ceiling) with the LTIR

Play the exercise for yourself... Armchair-GM - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Last edited:

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022

9.11 + 10.5 for Price - 4m for the two players Barron and Xhekaj, leaves around 15m.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I didn't think we were going for the playoffs. Just wanting to be competitive. I didn't hear that they've already decided on that.

That still gives around $10m in space.
Not spending to the cap but wishing to be competitive is like saying you want to win the race but won't buy high-octane racing fuel. Unless the team is super lucky with ELCs who overperform or cap-effective contracts, spending to near the cap ceiling is often a precondition for being a playoff team. There was some analysis done that showed the strong correlation between the cap spending and playoff appearances.

The Habs can't sit on 10.5m and expect to be a playoff team. But maybe you're right and they don't expect it, they just want to give the impression of competitiveness for year another year. But I don't see much value in wasting another year of Suzuki+Caufield's primes, personally.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
We have room to go after Necas or Zegras, which is exactly what we should be doing.

We will drop Savard (3.5), Dvorak (4.45), Armia (3.4) and Harris (1.4) at some point in the next 13 months. = 11.75

We will free up 2 retention spots....Petry and Allen, roughly 4.3 mil combined after this year.

So.....if the 15-16 million is right....we add Necas at 7.5 mil and still have 7.5-8 mil per year.

Resign Slaf at 7.75

Lose all of the above and fill holes with ELC's and bridge contracts, we should be in very good shape to continue to add and re-sign other guys as their price points increase (ie Newhook and Dach)

Once we toss Anderson and Gally, we up other guys coming off their ELC's and bridge deals.

We can manage this cap just fine.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Not spending to the cap but wishing to be competitive is like saying you want to win the race but won't buy high-octane racing fuel. Unless the team is super lucky with ELCs who overperform or cap-effective contracts, spending to near the cap ceiling is often a precondition for being a playoff team. There was some analysis done that showed the strong correlation between the cap spending and playoff appearances.

The Habs can't sit on 10.5m and expect to be a playoff team. But maybe you're right and they don't expect it, they just want to give the impression of competitiveness for year another year. But I don't see much value in wasting another year of Suzuki+Caufield's primes, personally.
Pretty sure they said "more competitive", which means just a continuation of the current trend. We've gone from a low of 55 points to 68 and now 76 points. So getting to mid 80s is probably more of what they have in mind in terms of being more competitive.

I don't think Hughes would spend to the cap just for the sake of it, they will only spend if they find someone who they really like. Which is why the talk of cap problems is always slightly misguided, the hard part of the cap isn't having money to spend, it's finding players that are worth spending money on.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Pretty sure they said "more competitive", which means just a continuation of the current trend. We've gone from a low of 55 points to 68 and now 76 points. So getting to mid 80s is probably more of what they have in mind in terms of being more competitive.

I don't think Hughes would spend to the cap just for the sake of it, they will only spend if they find someone who they really like. Which is why the talk of cap problems is always slightly misguided, the hard part of the cap isn't having money to spend, it's finding players that are worth spending money on.

They're not, he said this summer is important but next summer is more important.

This summer will be important so far as how they move out some young defense and maybe insulate the roster a bit more, but there isn't a really big move to make other than maybe getting Necas or making an offer on Reinhart.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I doubt they've decided on whether to use Price's LTIR or not at this point in the offseason. If we end up landing Necas or Ehlers or someone like that I could see the FO going into LTIR to add a veteran RD and upgrade our bottom six all around, but if we don't end up landing a big ticket forward I could see them adding a couple guys at the 2.5-3M range on shorter term deals to avoid the bonus overages for next year instead of going into LTIR to add eg. Perron and a couple 4th liners.

Personally I'd rather they just spend near the limit of Price's LTIR but it's possible there isn't really a good way to do that since there are only so many roster spots to fill and you aren't necessarily going to want to sign a guy like Zadorov and block Xhekaj just for the sake of spending all your money to get marginal improvements from a team that likely isn't playoff calibre.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I doubt they've decided on whether to use Price's LTIR or not at this point in the offseason. If we end up landing Necas or Ehlers or someone like that I could see the FO going into LTIR to add a veteran RD and upgrade our bottom six all around, but if we don't end up landing a big ticket forward I could see them adding a couple guys at the 2.5-3M range on shorter term deals to avoid the bonus overages for next year instead of going into LTIR to add eg. Perron and a couple 4th liners.

Personally I'd rather they just spend near the limit of Price's LTIR but it's possible there isn't really a good way to do that since there are only so many roster spots to fill and you aren't necessarily going to want to sign a guy like Zadorov and block Xhekaj just for the sake of spending all your money to get marginal improvements from a team that likely isn't playoff calibre.

We got one retention spot left. With Price on LTIR before the season starts, it could affect what we want to do at the next TDL. Might not be able to retain 50% on someone (Dvorak, Anderson, Armia, Savard for example).

What does Slaf and Guhle have to do to reach most of their performance bonus targets? Does Reinbacher or Hutson move this needle? Not sure. What would a $3M carry over bonus do to us next year with a $92M cap? Doesn't seem like it's going to hurt

Right now, we can add a $6M player, offload Armia, and still have Price on LTIR after the season starts.

But I agree, I don't think Gorton/Hughes knows this answer yet.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
They're not, he said this summer is important but next summer is more important.

This summer will be important so far as how they move out some young defense and maybe insulate the roster a bit more, but there isn't a really big move to make other than maybe getting Necas or making an offer on Reinhart.
They repeatedly said if there's an opportunity to accelerate the rebuild that they would. They aren't going to pass on a player they really like/want because it doesn't fit some idealized timeline. If they like a guy they'll try to acquire them even if it's 1 year "early".

But obviously odds are that nothing happens because not only does it require Hughes and company to really like one of the available players (Nobody jumps out to me as a great fit) but that player or team if it's a trade also have to also really like Montreal's offer. Which is another reason if you can get a guy you like now then you do it now because in 1-2 years when you really need it you might not be able to acquire the type of player you want.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They repeatedly said if there's an opportunity to accelerate the rebuild that they would. They aren't going to pass on a player they really like/want because it doesn't fit some idealized timeline. If they like a guy they'll try to acquire them even if it's 1 year "early".

But obviously odds are that nothing happens because not only does it require Hughes and company to really like one of the available players (Nobody jumps out to me as a great fit) but that player or team if it's a trade also have to also really like Montreal's offer. Which is another reason if you can get a guy you like now then you do it now because in 1-2 years when you really need it you might not be able to acquire the type of player you want.

I also agree nothing jumps out at this point in time but how would we know? All we know is media report click baits (mostly). Who predicted that the Preds would trade Weber for Subban. There were some Subban trade rumors (that I ignored) but from what I remember, zero Weber trade talk.

Teams know our depth chart and where we are strong. You never know what kind of phone call we get.

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
With us being in the running to acquire and sign Dubois last year, I can see Hughes still being quite interested in trying to add a big piece up front that fits in with the teams plans. We might be surprised at what happens.

With that being said, it'll be hard to add a big long term piece with Anderson, Gallagher, Armia and Dvorak still on the roster, though. In a year, the timing might be better, because it'll give our younger players one more year to progress and see how they fit in to the roster and also gives us more cap flexibility as the Bergevin-era contracts start expiring.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
With us being in the running to acquire and sign Dubois last year, I can see Hughes still being quite interested in trying to add a big piece up front that fits in with the teams plans. We might be surprised at what happens.

With that being said, it'll be hard to add a big long term piece with Anderson, Gallagher, Armia and Dvorak still on the roster, though. In a year, the timing might be better, because it'll give our younger players one more year to progress and see how they fit in to the roster and also gives us more cap flexibility as the Bergevin-era contracts start expiring.

Basu said our interest in Dubois wasn't as high as it was seemed to be. They weren't interested at the asset cost and they weren't interested in the contract length/salary but they were around it because he publicly stated he wanted to be there and it made sense to be there if it could work out. They were never close, however.

Reactions: Trabdy2

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022

Well of course it’s easier to kick the can down to next year and then the year after and then the year after but Suzuki and Caufield’s prime is now and I’m sure HuGo are acutely aware of it. We have no one coming up who is a Suzuki replacement and especially no one who is a Caufield replacement. They need to be competitive asap.

So the question is what do they spend on this summer? The point of the discussion is to illustrate that the space is there should they need it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad