Speculation: 2024-25 Roster thread

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I like terry having his own line, he seems to play at his best when he’s the guy on his line. I havnt generally liked his game when he’s with z carlsson or mctavish.
I think he plays great with McTavish, but the third guy on the line tends to be ignored. Except for Vatrano, I thought that line was playing great until McTavish out his shoulder into Terry’s face, and then Cronin never tried them again.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Kind of crazy that two guys in this line-up have had 37 goal seasons and they're both stuck with Ryan Strome on the third line.
Strome is alright.

The best thing about him is he’s always going to get chances so when he hits the post the puck will be around the net for Vatrano or Terry.

IF they can still healthy, the ducks forwards could be deadly.

Ignore the defensive side of things and this will be a great year!

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
If you read through gdt from last season during the win streaks they were playing a physical hard hitting brand of hockey led by Carrick and Johnston. Johnston will be scratched for trash Mcgin and Carrick is being replaced by soft Lundstrom. As usual for a Verbeek team he finds a way to go into the season with the least physical lineup in the NHL. I doubt this lineup does anything like the start of last seasons
I’m going to miss carrick but I honestly haven’t seen a lot from Johnston. This team does need a strong forechecking presence that we haven’t had since delasuers left. Max jones tried to fit that bill but wasn’t consistent enough.

I definitely think we have a problem at center and need to trade for an axe face off man.

Reactions: lwvs84 and Kalv

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Hate to say it but Zelly didn't really look good to me last night. Had a couple offensive moments but kind of brutal in his own zone, which will be his Achilles' Heel.

I'll give him a few more games to get his legs under him but a year in San Diego might be what he needs.
Zellweger needs a full year in the AHL learning how to play a pro style game. He isn't ready to play in the show right now.

Reactions: McDonald19

ZegrassyKnoll

Dec 2, 2016
Based on Z's strong play, I feel like giving him a shot on the top line with Leo isn't the worst idea.
Based on Z's strong play, I feel like giving him a shot on the top line instead of Leo isn't the worst idea.

Leo is what, 19? And Cutter is 20? That's a ton of pressure to be putting on them, even if they're really talented.

I'd love for them to get some softer match-ups.

Ducksforcup

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
Based on Z's strong play, I feel like giving him a shot on the top line instead of Leo isn't the worst idea.

Leo is what, 19? And Cutter is 20? That's a ton of pressure to be putting on them, even if they're really talented.

I'd love for them to get some softer match-ups.
Wouldn't be against it!

Also, your name is absolutely fantastic on a purely random note.

Reactions: Yemeth

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I posted in the GDT, but I'd like to see Zegras centre the 2nd line between Fabbri and McTavish.

Zegras is designed to be the main playmaker on whatever line he's on, including carrying the puck which McTavish is not equipped to do IMO. While McTavish is a strong forechecker (which Zegras isn't really equipped to do) and shooter.

Feels like Zegras as a winger nullifies his strengths as a player as he doesn't get as much of the puck, and McTavish as a strong forechecker and shooter gets nullified by having to be more of the puck carrier and less forechecking and harder for him to find space to shoot.

Havaing Zegras centre two strong forecheckers and goalscorers I feel like would make that line way more effective and actually have Zegras and McTavish playing to their strengths compared to what they are doing with both of them now.

Zegras still needs to be more defensively responsible, but I feel he's quite a bit ahead of McTavish when it comes to defensive play which makes him a better fit for centre too.

Just feels like Zegras is a natural centre while McTavish is a natural winger and we're currently trying to fit square pegs in round holes.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I posted in the GDT, but I'd like to see Zegras centre the 2nd line between Fabbri and McTavish.

Zegras is designed to be the main playmaker on whatever line he's on, including carrying the puck which McTavish is not equipped to do IMO. While McTavish is a strong forechecker (which Zegras isn't really equipped to do) and shooter.

Feels like Zegras as a winger nullifies his strengths as a player as he doesn't get as much of the puck, and McTavish as a strong forechecker and shooter gets nullified by having to be more of the puck carrier and less forechecking and harder for him to find space to shoot.

Havaing Zegras centre two strong forecheckers and goalscorers I feel like would make that line way more effective and actually have Zegras and McTavish playing to their strengths compared to what they are doing with both of them now.

Zegras still needs to be more defensively responsible, but I feel he's quite a bit ahead of McTavish when it comes to defensive play which makes him a better fit for centre too.

Just feels like Zegras is a natural centre while McTavish is a natural winger and we're currently trying to fit square pegs in round holes.

It doesn't matter where Z plays if he is still playing dump & chase b/c that is the epitome trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. Mac can play the dump & chase style, but many of our players do not. It worked well last year when Mac centered Vatrano and Strome.

I just think Cronin needs to create a scheme around player talents than making all his players implement the dump & chase.

Sniperberg

Mar 30, 2017
I dont get why everyone wants to turn Zegras into some defensive stalwart? Just let him rip offensively with his creativity. Doesnt matter if he is on ice for two goals against if he contributes to three goals for.

Reactions: caliamad

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I dont get why everyone wants to turn Zegras into some defensive stalwart? Just let him rip offensively with his creativity. Doesnt matter if he is on ice for two goals against if he contributes to three goals for.
No-one is asking him to be a defensive stalwart, but personally I don't think it's a lot asking him to backcheck with his man so he doesn't allow them a point blank chance (SJ) or have to take a lazy hooking penalty (Vegas) rather then just letting them skate past him.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Need to change up the Top 6, 3 goals in 2 games, not gonna cut it, and one was an EN goal.

Would keep that 3rd line together. Only line who is looking good, they easily could have scored a few goals last night, hit the post several times. Top 6 has barely created good chances.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I think Terry’s line is benefitting to an extent from matchups. If so, the effect should be even more obvious at home.

At this point I have to assume Leo/Cutter/Killorn look amazing in practice because otherwise I’m not sure how they’ve been gifted first line status. That said, it was Mac’s line that had the most ice time by a decent margin last night.

Terry and McGinn had the least ice time and they were arguably our best forwards.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
#1: Zegras-Carlsson-Terry // Cutter-Carlsson-Zegras
#2: Cutter-McTavish-Fabbri // Fabbri-McTavish-Terry
#3: Killer-Strome-Frank
#4: McGinn-Lundeström-Leason

Gimme.

Last edited:

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
I’d like to swap Killorn and Terry. I know it’s at the risk of Terry no longer feasting on lower matchups, but he’s proven he doesn’t need to do that.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I’m not too worried

Game 1 and 2 both on road back 2 back is a tough draw.

Thought we played good enough to win both games, chemistry and gretting game legs under them is going to take a week or 2, not to mention the teams we played already had a couple games to work with

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015

Ive always felt Zegras is much better at Center than winger. Totally agree with your logic here. I also like giving Mctavish more freedom to play in space which can set up his big shot rather than playing behind the puck as a center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad