Speculation: 2024-25 Roster thread

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Why include Terry then?

They probably either put a lot of weight on last year or used only last year's productions to exclude Zegras.

The point of the article is based upon "star" power to change franchises around and production basis. Hampus continues to get dinged for not having a high offensive output despite providing top pairing defensive D-man.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Why include Terry then?
Terry is a proven quality player. Zegras is not.

I know everyone loves Zegras, and he has a ton of potential. But two seasons ago he put up 60 points with such abysmal defense that most of his offensive value was negated. Last season was injury-riddled and mediocre when he was on the ice.

I believe that a healthy, motivated season can get him on the star list, but it's not hard to see why he was, quite reasonably, left off.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
I'm starting to feel like drafting Boldy instead would have been a better idea. Z isn't as effective at wing and Boldy would have been a great fit.
Boldy would have been a great pick but no need to deke ourselves into doubting zegras. Everything outside of some media noise indicates that he is going to land on some level of stardom even if the low end may be more of a borderline star ie terry level

Reactions: Kalv

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I'm not sure why some very good NHL goaltenders re-signing on long term deals makes Gibson's contract have any sort of value.

Gibson hasn't had a good season since 18-19 season and basically the only goaltender he's clearly looked better then in the last 5 years is Miller who was 40 years old and toast at the NHL level. Gibson has basically been a replacement level (if not worse) goaltender for 5 seasons now.

I get being optimistic but there is nothing that suggests Gibson is going to turn it around anytime soon, especially as Dostal will likely be the starter for this season. Gibson is a prime buyout candidate before the start of next season.

Gibson has played well in long stretches, particularly at the beginning of the season. Then he wears down due to being pummeled with a massive quantity of shots (a record number) and the constant losing. Comparing Gibson to his backup is apples/oranges. The backup plays less and gets worse matchups (Dostal last year being the arguable exception).

For much of the last 5 years, the ducks have been the worst puck possession and defensive team in the league. I think there is a reason to think Gibson can regain his form and be an above average (not elite) goalie if he plays with better players in games that matter.

And that is where the recent signings become relevant. Ullmark is a pretty good comp to the better version of Gibson. Ullmark just got a substantially bigger (and a bit longer) contract than Gibson. Again if Gibson returns to form (a big if), then his shorter contract with less AAV has some decent value. The larger point - Goalie salaries are increasing which makes Gibson's number more palatable relatively speaking.

And again, If Gibson doesn't return to form, then he has no value.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I'm starting to feel like drafting Boldy instead would have been a better idea. Z isn't as effective at wing and Boldy would have been a great fit.
This is an interesting take. If it ends up being correct (the jury's still out but it's a hig possibility now Boldy ends up the better NHL career), then it shows how important it is to not fall into the "omg we needed that skill guy instead" for the first few years after the draft. Sennecke/Demidov comes to mind – no idea who ends up better ofc, jus as a conparison).

Pat might be cooking

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
Kind of crazy that two guys in this line-up have had 37 goal seasons and they're both stuck with Ryan Strome on the third line.
In his defense, they're also playing with our only center in the line-up that has had a 41 assist season. This assumes Z is considered a wing now, of course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad