Speculation: 2024-25 Roster thread

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Problem is there aren't that many enforcers coming up through juniors anymore. I'd love to have a Chris Simon type, I'd even spend a high pick on one, but they just aren't out there to be had. Gotta adapt your team to what's available in the talent pool.

I'm hoping Gaucher will be that enforcer who can contribute on the ice, including on the PK.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
I was hoping Max Jones would develop into the hard-hitting, hard-forechecking guy who would also provide some backbone. He did not. I don't need fighting - I don't think it's a deterrent of anything any more and it's not enjoyable to me, although I realize mileage may vary. But I have no problem with a tough guy in the bottom 6 who can kill penalties and make life difficult on the other team.

Johnston is not that.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Gibson is signed for two more years after this season. We have no proven talent after Dostal in net, which means we have a few seasons to develop one of our prospect goalies. Hell, people forgot that Dostal's game plummeted in November last year and Gibson was there for the Ducks in Nov and Dec until Dostal could find his groove again. Dostal could have been ruined for a longer time if we didn't have Gibby to carry the load in Nov and Dec.

This past season, Gibby and Dostal had similar productions. I think the team in front of our goalies will probably determine a jump in production. Two seasons ago, we had no shutdown D-men on the roster. The following season brought in a couple of shutdown D-men (Gudas and Lyubushkin) as well as a few talented rookies (Minty, LaCombe, and Zell). Going into this season, our defensive youth got a year under them already and PK coach Thompson is gonna try something new this year.

I dunno why we have to buy Gibby out when we barely cross the salary cap floor for the past two seasons. Unless we have a few of our youths turn into superstars in next two seasons, we aren't in a need for a buy out.
You can point out Dostal had a bad November, and he did, not totally unexpected for a goaltender in their first full NHL season (also only 4 games so not the biggest sample size). But then you should point out that he not only bounced back, but was extremely good the rest of the year (0.908) even with a poor February thrown into the mix which is a far bigger sample size.

From December to the end of the season Dostal was ranked 22nd in sv% among all goaltenders with 20+ games played in that time (and that includes 6 goaltenders ahead of him that played 10+ games less then he did).

For comparison, Gibson ranked 53rd and last among all goaltenders with 20+ games played in that same time period.

Just look at the splits by month (Dostal - Gibson)
October (0.921 v 0.902)
November (0.823 v 0.907)
December (0.918 v 0.902)
January (0.919 v 0.892)
February (0.867 v 0.885)
March (0.907 v 0.844)
April (0.911 v 0.778*)

* Gibson played only one game in April.

Saying Gibson and Dostal were close in performance this past season is just flat out wrong. Heck even if you include their final figures, 0.902 v 0.888 is a pretty huge difference. Another example, the difference between Dostal and Gibson's sv% (0.014) is the same difference between 1st and 17th based on sv% among goaltenders that played 35+ games last season.....seems pretty big to me.

This also shows it's wrong to say Gibson 'carried the load' in December given Gibson only played 3 more games and was ok compared to Dostal.

Dostal is 24 years old and now has played 1.5 NHL seasons, he's ready to be the full time netminder. I agree getting a good back up for Dostal is important, as in today's NHL you need a good back up as well, which is why Gibson should be shown the door. He's a below average NHL goaltender at this point in his career.

Reactions: JAHV and Deuce22

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
I was hoping Max Jones would develop into the hard-hitting, hard-forechecking guy who would also provide some backbone. He did not. I don't need fighting - I don't think it's a deterrent of anything any more and it's not enjoyable to me, although I realize mileage may vary. But I have no problem with a tough guy in the bottom 6 who can kill penalties and make life difficult on the other team.

Johnston is not that.
He ended up being a worse version of visnovski, fake tough

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
You can point out Dostal had a bad November, and he did, not totally unexpected for a goaltender in their first full NHL season (also only 4 games so not the biggest sample size). But then you should point out that he not only bounced back, but was extremely good the rest of the year (0.908) even with a poor February thrown into the mix which is a far bigger sample size.

From December to the end of the season Dostal was ranked 22nd in sv% among all goaltenders with 20+ games played in that time (and that includes 6 goaltenders ahead of him that played 10+ games less then he did).

For comparison, Gibson ranked 53rd and last among all goaltenders with 20+ games played in that same time period.

Just look at the splits by month (Dostal - Gibson)
October (0.921 v 0.902)
November (0.823 v 0.907)
December (0.918 v 0.902)
January (0.919 v 0.892)
February (0.867 v 0.885)
March (0.907 v 0.844)
April (0.911 v 0.778*)

* Gibson played only one game in April.

Saying Gibson and Dostal were close in performance this past season is just flat out wrong. Heck even if you include their final figures, 0.902 v 0.888 is a pretty huge difference. Another example, the difference between Dostal and Gibson's sv% (0.014) is the same difference between 1st and 17th based on sv% among goaltenders that played 35+ games last season.....seems pretty big to me.

This also shows it's wrong to say Gibson 'carried the load' in December given Gibson only played 3 more games and was...poor to say the least compared to Dostal.

Dostal is 24 years old and now has played 1.5 NHL seasons, he's ready to be the full time netminder. I agree getting a good back up for Dostal is important, as in today's NHL you need a good back up as well, which is why Gibson should be shown the door. He's a below average NHL goaltender at this point in his career.

I'm not opposed to Dostal being 1G, but getting rid of Gibby feels akin to getting rid of Fowler. Goalies are fickle and Dostal needs to develop that consistency, which he proved last year he was not. After witnessing Dansk flub in pre-season, we were hot to trot on that waiver wire. What a blessing in disguise the injury happened in pre-season and not the regular season.

Dostal's Nov games
  • Nov 1, Ari: 0.914 Sv%
  • Nov 10, Phi: 0.857 Sv%
  • Nov 15, Col: 0.789 Sv%
  • Nov 26, Edm: 0.625 Sv%
In November, Gibson played 10 games to Dostal's 4 game. Minimizing how hard Dostal faltered is disingenuous. It just kept getting worse in each passing game for Dostal in November such that to the start of Dec, it as a 2:1 ratio of games played between Gibby and Dostal to help Dostal ease back into the game again. This is where deep dive context matters. Gibby sheltered Dostal until Dostal got fixed up. Could you imagine if we kept forcing Dostal out there in November b/c Clang, Stalock, or Alexander were much worse than Dostal? Again, what a blessing in disguise the injury happened in pre-season and not the regular season.

To start December, it was Gibson's 4 games to Dostal's 2 games. Dostal had a good showing in his first Dec game with 0.960 Sv% vs Chicago, but stumbled against the NYR with a 0.872 Sv%.

I'm happy that Gibby was there to shelter Dostal because Dostal has great potential. Dostal hit another bump in February.

Pre All-Star productions (Feb 1 - 3)
  • Gibby: 0.901 Sv% and 3.05 GAA
  • Dostal: 0.902 Sv% and 3.50 GAA
A healthy Gibby (pre All-Star) is similar to Dostal (pre All-Star).

Games from Oct to Feb
  • Gibby = 37 games (1,111 SA)
  • Dostal = 22 games (819 SA)
Gibby's last seven games of the season (March - April) was when Gibby's play completely fell off the rails as well as missed a few games due to illness or UBI. Gibby did his job in sheltering Dostal so that Dostal can finish the season strong and keep Dostal potential high.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Yeah it's funny to me that this conversation always comes back to "We should have kept Deslauriers!"

No, we shouldn't have.
If you give me the choice between Deslauriers and Johnston, I take Deslauriers all day long. It's not even close.

If you give me the choice between Deslauriers and virtually any other NHL player, I'm probably taking the other guy. Deslauriers seemed to be a great locker room presence. He was not great at hockey.

If the coach/GM insists on having an enforcer-type, you can do worse than Des. But I'd rather get a guy who can play hockey.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Des works in the right situations and is better at hockey than Ross. its an enforcer type, you arent asking for 20 min of ice time. Ross gets like 8min, same with Des. Reaves is the same.

If thats the type of player you are looking for, Des is the better option

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
The Athletic put out their contention cycle opinions. Their viewpoint on the Ducks is interesting:

1000002573.png

Also this:

1000002575.png

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
I'm hoping that around this time next year, they're in between Montreal and Buffalo (albeit a touch higher on the future rating axis).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad