May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Roster is basically set at this point

1728077217169.png

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Harkins getting waived today puts an interesting wrench into things and means one of the following things is happening (unless we make some other add)

1. One of the young forwards (Sennecke, Gaucher, Nesterenko, or Colangelo) is making the team

2. Both Luneau and Zellweger are making the team

3. One of Pysyk or Lindstrom made the team
The above roster transactions indicate that #2 is what is happening.

So barring something unforeseen, our opening day roster:

Gauthier-Carlsson-Killorn
Zegras-McTavish-Terry
Vatrano-Strome-Fabbri
McGinn-Lundestrom-Leason
Johnston

Fowler-Zellweger
Mintyukov-Gudas
Dumoulin-LaCombe
Vaakanainen-Luneau

Dostal
Dansk

Reactions: 2faded

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018

Zegras-McTavish-Terry
Vatrano-Strome-Fabbri
McGinn-Lundestrom-Leason
Johnston

Fowler-Zellweger
Mintyukov-Gudas
Dumoulin-LaCombe
Vaakanainen-Luneau

Dostal
Dansk
Backup goalie is still up in the air

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Zegras-McTavish-Terry
Vatrano-Strome-Fabbri
McGinn-Lundestrom-Leason
Johnston

Fowler-Zellweger
Mintyukov-Gudas
Dumoulin-LaCombe
Vaakanainen-Luneau

Dostal
Dansk

Basically makes sense, but

I think Gaucher out played Lundy.... really the only issue i have up front(colangelo/nester were solid but i think they would benefit more in AHL for now).

Defense, is what it is... Tough with Fowler... but also tough to send any of the young guys back.

Backup goalie is still up in the air
I wonder if any will come through waivers worth grabbing....

I dont like Dansk at all... clang is alright.... maybe its fine to give him a few games.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC

Zegras-McTavish-Terry
Vatrano-Strome-Fabbri
McGinn-Lundestrom-Leason
Johnston

Fowler-Zellweger
Mintyukov-Gudas
Dumoulin-LaCombe
Vaakanainen-Luneau

Dostal
Dansk

Lots of promise in that top 9. Leason looking solid all pre-season gives me hope for him long term.

Lundy needs to be traded, Gaucher moved up. McGinn will get injured again, so more room there.

Still think Zell gets sent down. No point in having one of Zell, Luneau, LaCombe in the pressbox.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Yah them keeping Zellwegere up to not play seems dumb.. I think they gotta package Fowler or Vaks or maybe both lol

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
Don’t forget gulls play tomorrow so we could easily see some of those guys back up before the start of our regular season

Reactions: Rybread86

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Still feel bummed about Lindstrom. He was really effective for us last year (which I thought alone should had warranted extension). I don't like to see Luneau rushed too

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Still feel bummed about Lindstrom. He was really effective for us last year (which I thought alone should had warranted extension). I don't like to see Luneau rushed too
I liked Lindstrom and i think hes a better fit for the roster, than say fowler.

As for rushing Luneau, i dont think hes being rushed at all.... and i think hes going to get real comfortable real fast in the nhl

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
A little surprised about Pysyk. Thought he did enough to break through, but maybe there just wasn't room.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I feel like all three of Colangelo, Nesterenko, and Gaucher are better than McGinn, but whatever. Sunken cost fallacy strikes again.
I think all 3 were very solid...
I dont mind Mcginn, i thought he had a pretty strong preseason.... hopefully he brings that to the season.

Was hoping to see Mcginn Gaucher Leason as the 4th line personally..... but i guess were going to give Lundy 1 more shot.... I was hoping Lundy was going to pan out as our 3c of the future... but hes been pretty disappointed for us the last couple seasons.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

As for rushing Luneau, i dont think hes being rushed at all.... and i think hes going to get real comfortable real fast in the nhl
I mean I get you want to trade him but this feels like pure negativity bias. Lindstrom was fine as a number 6/number 7 guy, but this statement only works if Fowler never makes any positive contributions to this team and I don't know how anyone can argue that in good faith.

Lindstrom played a very simple game but he was almost never involved in advancing the play in transition or the o-zone with the puck on his stick and he was only adequate at d-zone exits. Fowler may have his share of gaffes, but he makes way more of an impact on overall team play.

Just feels like you're knocking Cam for the sake of your interest in seeing him moved.

Edit: unless you mean that Cam is blocking Zellweger from a spot and I don't really know how having Lindstrom, Vaaks, and Zell makes that better.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I mean I get you want to trade him but this feels like pure negativity bias. Lindstrom was fine as a number 6/number 7 guy, but this statement only work if Fowler never makes any positive contributions to this team and I don't know how anyone can argue that in good faith.

Lindstrom played a very simple game but he was almost never involved in advancing the play on transition or the o-zone with the puck on his stick and he was only adequate at d-zone exits. Fowler may have his share of gaffes, but he makes way more of an impact on overall team play.

Just feels like you're knocking Cam for the sake of your interest in seeing him moved.

That wasnt "knocking" cam.

That was looking at the lineup and thinking we have guys there that can be Cam... and that a 6/7 dmen that plays a simple game would be more ideal.

Look at the line up(as a non biased cam fan) and show me where he exactly fits... if anything he makes the defense pairings awkward.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

That was looking at the lineup and thinking we have guys there that can be Cam... and that a 6/7 dmen that plays a simple game would be more ideal.

Look at the line up(as a non biased cam fan) and show me where he exactly fits... if anything he makes the defense pairings awkward.
I mean I don't know that you want to ask me that. I'm not exactly inclined to white knight for him like he's some perfect defenseman, but I'm also not overly thrilled about only 2/6 of our active blueline having more than 2 seasons of experience in this league. Which is a long way of saying I'm more of the preference that irrespective of awkwardness, we still could use his veteran presence on the back end.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

We don't have any guys that have proven they can be Cam today. We have two youths who played almost a full NHL season, one youth who played a quarter of an NHL season, and one youth who is still has the rookie label (7 NHL games played), but missed most of last season due to load mgmt or knee infection.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I mean I don't know that you want to ask me that. I'm not exactly inclined to white knight for him like he's some perfect defenseman, but I'm also not overly thrilled about only 2/6 of our active blueline having more than 2 seasons of experience in this league. Which is a long way of saying I'm more of the preference that irrespective of awkwardness, we still could use his veteran presence on the back end.
He plays like a rookie in the dzone on most nights....

I dont mind a "vet" presence .... but i dont think fowler is the right vet prescence.... dumo and gudas are good, id say Lindstrom and vaaks(despite being youngish) bring a stable/vet presence.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I am not fond of any of our youth D to be put into a rotation at the NHL level. Send one of them down so they can play more often and in all situations.
Agreed, no point in sitting a kid in the press box every night. I wouldn't mind rotating them through San Diego. If one of the kids struggles for a 4 or 5 game stretch, send them to San Diego and bring up the one that's down there. Make it a point to tell them it's not punishment, it's to work on their game more and tell them what they should focus on down there. If Zellweger gets sent down and starts putting up numbers and Luneau struggles, swap them.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
He plays like a rookie in the dzone on most nights....

I dont mind a "vet" presence .... but i dont think fowler is the right vet prescence.... dumo and gudas are good, id say Lindstrom and vaaks(despite being youngish) bring a stable/vet presence.
Agree to disagree. Fowler isn't and has never been what you can call reliable defensively but I can't agree that his defensive contributions are on the level of some fresh rookie. To me, that's a stretch, but it's okay if we disagree.

In any case, we'll see what the team does but I'm sure the decision simply came down to the fact that we don't have spots for Vaaks and Zell with the current configuration and Lindstrom's quiet/low event style of play just isn't enough compared to what those two can bring.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC

Lindstrom is a dime a dozen guy. He doesnt move the needle.

I agree on Luneau. I think if he didnt have that injury last season we could have seen more of him. Physically he looks fine. His skating looked good. Some rookie mistakes but thats expected

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Agree to disagree. Fowler isn't and has never been what you can call reliable defensively but I can't agree that his defensive contributions are on the level of some fresh rookie. To me, that's a stretch, but it's okay if we disagree.

In any case, we'll see what the team does but I'm sure the decision simply came down to the fact that we don't have spots for Vaaks and Zell with the current configuration and Lindstrom's quiet/low event style of play just isn't enough compared to what those two can bring.
Ya the way the team is set up now.... were going to have someone not dressed that prob should be dressed.... unless they are planning on doing a rotation thing (which i dont think im a fan of).. if you are keeping fowler for the time being ... then zellweger prob should be in the AHL playing big mins until that changes(or injuries occur)... not that i think zellweger should be in the AHL... just makes more sense rather than have him not playing in the NHL.

But maybe they try a rotation thing with Minty Lacome Zell Luneau .... hell even the vets to keep legs fresh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad