Speculation: 2024-25 Roster thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
Geez, those PK units look horrible. I bet they'll be on the bottom of the barrel short-handed this season. Used to it, though, but still wondering why Verbeek hasn't acquired veteran PKer who can take face-offs. I think it would've been useful trying to replace some of what Carrick/Henrique brought.

Maybe Dumoulin helps somewhat, but still, that PK looks really bad on paper. I hope they'll prove me wrong.
The PK is my biggest issue with the current roster. I can at least see a world where our PP and even strength play are acceptable, but I have a hard time seeing how our PK improves. Dumoulin should help, but we have nobody who can win faceoffs on the PK. That coupled with the fact that we have a bunch of undisciplined players who love taking penalties is a recipe for disaster.

Reactions: lwvs84 and Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
You think Old Man Cronin has the chops to help the team improve systematically? I am not so sure. He seems like he should have topped out as an assistant coach after what we witnessed last season.
I hope the assistants help, but yeah, Cronin should have more answers in interviews this year. Some of the shoulder shrugging was really demotivating last year

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
The easiest way not to be bothered by a coach's poor interviewing skills is not to watch the interviews. There are innumerable coaches who are good at coaching and bad at talking to reporters.

Now, whether Cronin is actually good at coaching at the NHL level remains to be seen. We need to see a significant step forward this season on the ice or his seat should be getting as warm as it is outside right now.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
They’re all wildcards IMO. Can Terry and Zegras bounce back? Can Mac, Mintyukov, and Leo progress? I don’t think Frankie repeating his performance from last year is a good bet, but maybe? Can Fabbri replace Rico’s production? What’s Cutter going to look like over a full season? Zellweger?

That’s just offense. The biggest question marks to me are, is there a competent defensive plan in place, and can these players execute it? There’s also the impact (hopefully!) of changing special teams coaches. Can we kill penalties? We know we’re going to be near the top of the league in taking them.

Anaheim allowed 91 PK goals against last year on an extra 50 TSH chances, 24 more goals allowed than the 2nd worst PK GA team. The Ducks allowed a total of 295 goals allowed last year. About 31% of the goals allowed were on the PK.

PK Goals Against over total Goals Against
  • Best = 0.15 (TB 36 PK GA and Philly 40 PK GA)
  • Median = 0.19 ... (Pit 47, Was 49, CLB & CHi 56, SJ 62)
  • Worst = 0.31 (Ducks 91 PK GA)
The PK and the lack of discipline to incur penalties was beyond abysmal last year.

ES Goals Against rank, According to Natural Stat Trick
  • Best = 119, Florida
  • Median = 166 (NYR 165, Colorado 167)
  • Ducks = 173
  • Worst = 226 Sharks
Two seasons ago, the Ducks had the 2nd worst ES GA rank with 224. We see the improvement in our ES Defense. As for our ES Offense, according to Natural Stat Trick, we scored 127 ES GF last year; the previous season we scored 143 ES GF.

It's everywhere else outside of our ES Defense that flailed. We have a new PP coach, but we retained our PK coach.

Reactions: Deuce22

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Top 5 protection means the pick would be exercised in 2026 and that means giving up a chance at Gavin McKenna. Not gonna happen.
Whom is the best draft prospect since Bedard and happens to be his cousin.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
The easiest way not to be bothered by a coach's poor interviewing skills is not to watch the interviews. There are innumerable coaches who are good at coaching and bad at talking to reporters.

Now, whether Cronin is actually good at coaching at the NHL level remains to be seen. We need to see a significant step forward this season on the ice or his seat should be getting as warm as it is outside right now.

My problem is: it seems to just be another thing he's bad at. He hasn't demonstrated that he's good at anything yet. If he at least demonstrated he was a good communicator during interviews it would at least be something.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
My problem is: it seems to just be another thing he's bad at. He hasn't demonstrated that he's good at anything yet. If he at least demonstrated he was a good communicator during interviews it would at least be something.

The thing he needs to be good at right now is developing young players. The evidence for that will come this season. If that comes, then the next part is starting to win some tactical battles and adapting his systems for the types of players he has. But if the young players don't take significant steps this year, it won't matter. He should get the boot.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
This was Cronin's first season as an NHL head coach, had a team that didn't know you're allowed to play defense, had a bunch of rookies/kids, and was constantly injured all with a new franchise. I'd give him a pass on last season as a learning experience. I want to see if he improves and adapts this year. If there isn't a visible improvement from last year to this year, I'll be worried.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
We should not be in the running for him by that point. Like if we are then might as well start the rebuild over.
All non playoff teams are in the running for him and that’s where the ducks are still likely to be in 25-26.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
All non playoff teams are in the running for him and that’s where the ducks are still likely to be in 25-26.
we should 100% be a playoff team or at least in the running for the wildcard spot by then imo. not like we're gonna win the lottery either

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
we should 100% be a playoff team or at least in the running for the wildcard spot by then imo. not like we're gonna win the lottery either
You're right, we might be able to squeak by 25/26. So maybe a trade like that might work in a perfect world.

Now the question is, what kind of player are you going to get for a top 5 protected 25 or an unprotected 26? I assume that player would have to be under 25 and already an NHL player in a top 6F or top 4D role. He'd have to be on a good contract and years away from UFA status. Any names come to mind?

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
You're right, we might be able to squeak by 25/26. So maybe a trade like that might work in a perfect world.

Now the question is, what kind of player are you going to get for a top 5 protected 25 or an unprotected 26? I assume that player would have to be under 25 and already an NHL player in a top 6F or top 4D role. He'd have to be on a good contract and years away from UFA status. Any names come to mind?
I dont know of any players that fit your criteria. i wasn't the one to suggest trading it; though I'm not opposed to moving it with those conditions.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I dont know of any players that fit your criteria. i wasn't the one to suggest trading it; though I'm not opposed to moving it with those conditions.
Fair enough. Finding the right player is going to be tough.

The equivalent to me would be if the Ducks traded Zegras for Montreal's protected 25 or unprotected 26. That's the type of player I would expect Verbeek to acquire for that asset. And I don't think it is very realistic.

Reactions: dracom

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
This was Cronin's first season as an NHL head coach, had a team that didn't know you're allowed to play defense, had a bunch of rookies/kids, and was constantly injured all with a new franchise. I'd give him a pass on last season as a learning experience. I want to see if he improves and adapts this year. If there isn't a visible improvement from last year to this year, I'll be worried.

Although it was Cronin's first time as an NHL coach, he's been in the NHL as an assistant coach for a long time (12 years) as well as been a head coach at the AHL (5 years). By being the head coach at Colorado's AHL team as well as NCAA coach for Maine and Northeastern, then he should already know how to deal with rookies/kids.

That's kinda why I'm worried about his post-game interviews of throwing the team under the bus since he's the head coach.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Although it was Cronin's first time as an NHL coach, he's been in the NHL as an assistant coach for a long time (12 years) as well as been a head coach at the AHL (5 years). By being the head coach at Colorado's AHL team as well as NCAA coach for Maine and Northeastern, then he should already know how to deal with rookies/kids.

That's kinda why I'm worried about his post-game interviews of throwing the team under the bus since he's the head coach.
That's fair, I'm talking about on ice. I can identify with him giving bad interviews though, I used to get nervous at work in front of people even though I was good at my job. I'm hoping he's good at his.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
That's fair, I'm talking about on ice. I can identify with him giving bad interviews though, I used to get nervous at work in front of people even though I was good at my job. I'm hoping he's good at his.
He better be. Being able to develop young players is the sole reason he was hired. If he’s not good at it, it’s a pretty big black eye on Verbeek’s record.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo

Just don’t watch the interviews and it’s like they never happen and everything is all good!

• Haha
Reactions: Ducks DVM

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
I was excited by what seemed to be a no-bs head coach in Cronin and I feel like he is far from that.
Once this team turns the corner. Cronin is gone. I fully believe that's when PV will bring in a veteran coach..shit in woulndt mind bringing in Bruce B back..those teams were fun to watch.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I fully believe that none of you have any idea If Cronin is good or not

Cronin was not good last year. Upgraded roster, improved ES defense, stagnate ES offense, slightly improved PP, 12 short-handed goals despite similarly mediocre PK efficiency, and only finished one point better than Eakins with an abysmal roster the year prior. The PP and PK situations are not directly coached by Cronin. With the vast improvement in GA, Cronin couldn't figure out how to generate more points. That is a significant concern.

I hope over the summer, Cronin could reflect and improve on offensive scheme, be more relaxed physically (no more full practices before an actual game), and coach the team to be better disciplined.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Cronin was not good last year. Upgraded roster, improved ES defense, stagnate ES offense, slightly improved PP, 12 short-handed goals despite similarly mediocre PK efficiency, and only finished one point better than Eakins with an abysmal roster the year prior. The PP and PK situations are not directly coached by Cronin. With the vast improvement in GA, Cronin couldn't figure out how to generate more points. That is a significant concern.

I hope over the summer, Cronin could reflect and improve on offensive scheme, be more relaxed physically (no more full practices before an actual game), and coach the team to be better disciplined.
I have hope it was largely impacted by injuries (which seemed to have been even more brutal than before) and him instilling new system (at the end of the year when healthy we seemed to look decent).

But yeah, not holding my breath. Hoping, tho.

Reactions: lwvs84

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012

The upgraded roster was negated by terrible injury luck. I’m giving him this season before judging

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad