2024-25 Roster Thread #1: The Beginninging

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He was just f***ing skating the top line in practice!?
And Desleuriers was the 4th line center, just placeholders so other players would be in the same spots they will be in the game.

Numbers game, it's either Laughton or Cates as 4LW.
Cates was centering Farabee and Brink in practice during TC, so he's the fall back if Luchanko isn't ready.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
And Desleuriers was the 4th line center, just placeholders so other players would be in the same spots they will be in the game.

Cates was centering Farabee and Brink in practice during TC, so he's the fall back if Luchanko isn't ready.
Nic D is a lot closer to a 4C than Cates is to a 1C.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Seems to me like a clear case of a veteran who shouldnt be here blocking a young player.

Reactions: scumpup

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
If Laughton — given age, downward trend, window for sub-contention — can only be traded for an “offer you can’t refuse,” then they’ve lost the plot. But we know that already. Finnegan’s Wake is more sensical than the Flyers.

“I told him that I wasn't shopping him, first of all. I wasn't gonna trade him for fair value because he's more than fair value to us. The intangibles that he brings in the locker room are something that has no price, and the other teams don't see that, but we do. I told him that. I said 'We're not gonna trade you if it's just a fair trade.' Someone would have to overstep and really knock it out of the ballpark for us to consider it.”

Value doesn’t go up for 30 year old bottom 6 players in decline. It doesn’t even remain the same. The Flyers, shockingly, are really bad at evaluating markets.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
If Laughton — given age, downward trend, window for sub-contention — can only be traded for an “offer you can’t refuse,” then they’ve lost the plot. But we know that already. Finnegan’s Wake is more sensical than the Flyers.

Value doesn’t go up for 30 year old bottom 6 players in decline. It doesn’t even remain the same. The Flyers, shockingly, are really bad at evaluating markets.
That Briere statement is an all timer. It illustrates everything you need to know about how insular and arrogant their evaluation process is. In any other context, if someone tells you they're the only one who can see things other people can't...ok, crazy! Just business as usual in Flyerland

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
That Briere statement is an all timer. It illustrates everything you need to know about how insular and arrogant their evaluation process is. In any other context, if someone tells you they're the only one who can see things other people can't...ok, crazy! Just business as usual in Flyerland

"We highly value this player, therefore everyone else will too" followed by shock at how much lower the offers are does seem to be their process. As if they think eventually someone will crack and pay what they must know is his real value! Just gotta wait it out!

That or they've never been remotely serious about moving him. Neither process is very good.

Please note that this is a positive post because I said it is a level of good, not a level of bad

• Haha
Reactions: Flyerfan4life

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad