2024-25 Roster Thread #1: The Beginninging

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
So TK, Tippett, Farabee, are top 6 talent? Just checking.
Cates spent 50% of his minutes with these three, so 50% with bottom six talent in 2022-23.

1.37 pp/60. that was 211th of all forwards with 800+ 5x5 minutes.
240th is the median 3rd line forward, 1.17.
So Cates basically scored at a 3rd line rate.
If you look at counts, 25 points at 5x5, which was 172nd among all forward.
240th was 17 points.
TOI helped his scoring a little, but not substantially.

I think people overestimate how much 3rd line forwards actually score.
Cam Atkinson had a higher points/60 (1.5) than Cates (1.3) did last season, and the team decided to buy out Cam because he was cooked.

Even Lycksell had a higher points/60 in the NHL last season! And we just waived him!

so. you mean...minute by minute relative O production was poor? Ok...last season's output would certainly support that, he was lost amongst his linemates to produce much, that I can recall. But I'm sorry to think his initial great start was entirely a mirage....here's hoping.

Is maybe Farabee also a mirage? That would be a harder pill to swallow, but reasonable.
He did shoot over 21% in 2021/2022 in a small sample size, so expecting him to continue to produce offence at that level was not realistic.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The expectations are ridiculous at times.
Cates is fine for a 3rd line forward/middle six guy.

Michkov, TK, Farabee, Tippett are top six forwards according to Beef.
So the problem isn't the bottom six, they need more top six producers.

Couts, Brink, Foerster, Frost - they need a couple of these guys to step up.
Last year,
48th forward (median 1st line) scored 48 ES points
144th forward (median 2nd line) scored 33 ES points.
That's my cutoff for top 6 (don't want players who are below the 2nd line median)

TK 51
Tippett 45
Farabee 43
[Michkov]

Frost 29
Couts 28
Brink 18 (57 games, 26 prorated]
Laughton 25
Foerster 23
Atkinson 22
Poehling 21
Cates 15 (59 games, 21 prorated]

Hathaway 14

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Putting Luchenko on PP2 is BS. That's Couturier's spot.
There might be something going on with SC. Perhaps he's banged up already but there have been several articles in the press noting that SC is not playing up to speed. Briere said yesterday that he felt the need to tell some of the veterans to pick up their games. It could be that SC's speed is off but he's never been a burner on the ice. Most likely it's Tortorella ragging on SC with his usual head games crap.
I mean the PP was dogshit last year regardless of who was on it. I don't care who is on either unit as long as it is better than the 10% or whatever we had last year.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
If he's gonna play, I am at peace with him being on PP2. It's an opportunity to develop offense, or, in theory it is, because the PP is gonna be futile as is custom for Tortorella teams. Either way it's extra playing time.

And it's resting time for Couturier, who doesn't need to burn himself down on a futile and pointless PP

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
What is his obsession with needing to have laughton on this team? He's really making himself seem like an idiot, is he trying to get hired on by the organization or something? He used to have decent views but lately he's been as awful as 90% of the beat writers
1000005336.jpg

Reactions: scumpup

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Nice!

If you see someone in a Kimmo blouse at Rogers Arena, that'll almost certainly be me.... still waiting to see anyone else rocking a Timonen jersey. :laugh:
I have one in my closet. But I haven't worn it in like 5 years.

I actually don’t disagree with the logic but Charlie was saying weeks ago the Flyers didn’t like the 9 game trial because what is 9 games going to really tell you that you didn’t already know? The second part was once the kid has a taste of the NHL & all that comes with it on/off the ice (the best league in the world, the paychecks, the big cities, the luxury travel/stay, etc.). you’re setting a major disappointment when you pull the plug on that.

I guess so much for that. :laugh:
Going from 6 weeks in the NHL to riding busses in northern Ontario would be mentally devastating.

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011

Maybe you need to drop the knee jerk responses and smart ass comments (at least the ones that are just obnoxious, clever repartee is always welcome).

If you understood what I was saying, it wasn't as obtuse as you imply.

The negativity here is so automatic it's tiresome, as frustrating as this team has been, it's not Buffalo or CBJ since Torts left (after him it became a toxic dump).
I think I might be the only one here that actually understands your posts for what you put them out their as. Although I will admit you word things a certain way in my opinion to get people riled up sometimes, which I kind of understand, Don't always agree with it but I think I understand.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think they're ready to move out Laughton this year, though it may depend on other players.
Last year it was both a clubhouse issue (wanting to establish a culture) and a lack of depth issue (couldn't field 12 legitimate NHL forwards).

I never bought "St Louis offered a 1st and 2nd" b/c that would presume they're that dumb.

At best something like a 1st with a 3rd or better going back, more likely a 1st with Krug or another salary dump going back along with a 3rd or 4th (similar to Walker deal).
Now they'd probably have to settle for a 2nd and maybe take a contract back.
Might get a better deal at the TDL.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Depending how Foerster and Brink develop, how good Luchanko and Michkov look as rookies, and if Farabee and Frost can take one more step, we might be able to roll 3 decent lines. I’m still miffed Luchanko is on the team. Maybe the hockey gods smile upon us for once and he’s a stud right out of the gate.

Defense is more lackluster. Hoping Drysdale stays healthy and takes another step. Maybe York has another level he can get to

Goaltending is the big question mark. It’s such a strange position that is difficult to predict to an extent with young players. Maybe the hockey gods will smile upon us for once. The Flyers have such back luck with goalies it’s bound to happen eventually. It could very well be a disaster

I think the powerplay will improve. It would be hard not to

Season can be anywhere from making the playoffs to picking in the top 7.

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008
I never bought "St Louis offered a 1st and 2nd" b/c that would presume they're that dumb.

“An NHL team has never made a horrendous trade,” is one hell of a stance to take from a fan that lived through the time 3+ NHL teams offered a 1st for a rental Risto.

I keep seeing that 2nd added, but that’s not what Seravalli said on the podcast. He did say one of their 1sts. When did the other pick get involved?

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY
Depending how Foerster and Brink develop, how good Luchanko and Michkov look as rookies, and if Farabee and Frost can take one more step, we might be able to roll 3 decent lines. I’m still miffed Luchanko is on the team. Maybe the hockey gods smile upon us for once and he’s a stud right out of the gate.

Defense is more lackluster. Hoping Drysdale stays healthy and takes another step. Maybe York has another level he can get to

Goaltending is the big question mark. It’s such a strange position that is difficult to predict to an extent with young players. Maybe the hockey gods will smile upon us for once. The Flyers have such back luck with goalies it’s bound to happen eventually. It could very well be a disaster

I think the powerplay will improve. It would be hard not to

Season can be anywhere from making the playoffs to picking in the top 7.
Have you seen Rocky's record as a PP coach? It could be better because of an infuse of talent (Michkov), but I wouldn't hold your breath. Sorry positive police

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
“An NHL team has never made a horrendous trade,” is one hell of a stance to take from a fan that lived through the time 3+ NHL teams offered a 1st for a rental Risto.

I keep seeing that 2nd added, but that’s not what Seravalli said on the podcast. He did say one of their 1sts. When did the other pick get involved?

You are killing me with these avatars.

Reactions: Chinatown88

MrGuyPerson

Aug 19, 2020
After watching some hockey yesterday, I have an idea. I think the hawks have given up on Reichel. Why not offer them some easy to part with assets for him? If Fedotov holds up well at the NHL level, I think hypothetical fair value could be to offer Kolosov and a late round pick or two if needed. Kolosov will then likely get the shot in the NHL he wants and the flyers get young promising talent infusion. The flyers have Zavragin in Russia who looks like the actual truth so far, so parting with Kolosov doesn't seem too tough.

Reichel still has all the tools to be a great player. I think he needs a wake up call and a change of scenery might be the best one for him. If he still wants to be an NHL top 6 player he needs buckle down and grind. Don't grind for points. Grind for wins. To say it differently, I think a boiling hot pot of Torts as his coach could be exactly what his development needs.

What do you guys think?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

He said 1st and 2nd. Which to me just wasn't credible, looking at similar trades. Probably a 1st with the Flyers sending a future pick back or something like that.

"Said Armstrong really liked him at the Worlds and made the offer of 25th or 29th and a future 2nd which Briere turned down."

Frank Seravalli spoke about how Danny Briere has already turned down a big haul for Laughton that included the 25th or 29th overall pick this season and a future second round pick.

Briere would have driven Laughton to the airport for that deal.

Jarnkork got a 2nd and 3rd.
Walker at TDL got 1st, but Flyers also took Johansen (salary dump) and threw in a 5th.
Goodrow and a 3rd got a 1st

Big RHDs have always been premier draft targets, a number as good/bad as Risto have gone for 1st rd picks at the TDL.

After watching some hockey yesterday, I have an idea. I think the hawks have given up on Reichel. Why not offer them some easy to part with assets for him? If Fedotov holds up well at the NHL level, I think hypothetical fair value could be to offer Kolosov and a late round pick or two if needed. Kolosov will then likely get the shot in the NHL he wants and the flyers get young promising talent infusion. The flyers have Zavragin in Russia who looks like the actual truth so far, so parting with Kolosov doesn't seem too tough.

Reichel still has all the tools to be a great player. I think he needs a wake up call and a change of scenery might be the best one for him. If he still wants to be an NHL top 6 player he needs buckle down and grind. Don't grind for points. Grind for wins. To say it differently, I think a boiling hot pot of Torts as his coach could be exactly what his development needs.

What do you guys think?
Players who lack the fire rarely reach their potential, see Sam Gagner, for example.

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008
He said 1st and 2nd. Which to me just wasn't credible, looking at similar trades. Probably a 1st with the Flyers sending a future pick back or something like that.

"Said Armstrong really liked him at the Worlds and made the offer of 25th or 29th and a future 2nd which Briere turned down."

Frank Seravalli spoke about how Danny Briere has already turned down a big haul for Laughton that included the 25th or 29th overall pick this season and a future second round pick.

Briere would have driven Laughton to the airport for that deal.

Jarnkork got a 2nd and 3rd.
Walker at TDL got 1st, but Flyers also took Johansen (salary dump) and threw in a 5th.
Goodrow and a 3rd got a 1st

Big RHDs have always been premier draft targets, a number as good/bad as Risto have gone for 1st rd picks at the TDL.

Players who lack the fire rarely reach their potential, see Sam Gagner, for example.

Thank you for correcting me.

Now we just have to work on the conspiracy theory stuff and we'll be cooking with gas.

Last edited:

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
With Johansen's contract off the books at least for now, the Flyers don't have to start the season with Ellis on LTIR. Projected cap hit = $85,804,762

remember that time we traded for Ellis and he only played 2 games then went on IR for the rest of time..

goodtimes... 🤣🤣🤣

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad