2024-25 Roster Thread #1: The Beginninging

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
As far as Buium v Luchanko, either one would help this team, since the two gapping holes are LHD and center.

Don't buy they passed on Buium b/c of size, he's going to be 6'0 200 lbs or so, that's small?
Big, offensively skilled D-men are top five picks (unicorns), so it was always going to be a tradeoff.
It may be with the rule changes more "undersized" offensive D-men are having success, so they're being devalued relative to big mobile D-men and centers.

May depend how they see the 2025 draft shaking out, if there are multiple offense first LHDs they expect to be available in the top 40, but few top 6 center candidates, this might be a multi-draft gamble. Don't have enough information to have an opinion.

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
As far as Buium v Luchanko, either one would help this team, since the two gapping holes are LHD and center.

Don't buy they passed on Buium b/c of size, he's going to be 6'0 200 lbs or so, that's small?
Big, offensively skilled D-men are top five picks (unicorns), so it was always going to be a tradeoff.
It may be with the rule changes more "undersized" offensive D-men are having success, so they're being devalued relative to big mobile D-men and centers.

May depend how they see the 2025 draft shaking out, if there are multiple offense first LHDs they expect to be available in the top 40, but few top 6 center candidates, this might be a multi-draft gamble. Don't have enough information to have an opinion.
HE SAID IT. YOU CAN’T JUST IGNORE WHAT PEOPLE SAY WHEN IT GOES AGAINST YOUR STANCES WHEN THE ACTIONS MATCH THE STATEMENTS!

They’re telling us who they are, believe them, because their actions match what they are saying.

Reactions: Chinatown88

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I know you take that stuff with a grain of salt.

I tend to rely on "revealed preference." [for laymen, "watch what I do, not what I say"]

If they really thought Buium was going to be a great player (i.e. Makar or Fox) do you think they would have hesitated to take him?

I see it more as being politic, it would have been tacky to provide their real reasons for passing on Buium (though knocking Buium would fit the narrative around here that it's all "PR").

Now they may end up being wrong, but it's pretty obvious they thought Luchanko was in the same tier as a prospect.

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008
I know you take that stuff with a grain of salt.

I tend to rely on "revealed preference." [for laymen, "watch what I do, not what I say"]

If they really thought Buium was going to be a great player (i.e. Makar or Fox) do you think they would have hesitated to take him?

I see it more as being politic, it would have been tacky to provide their real reasons for passing on Buium (though knocking Buium would fit the narrative around here that it's all "PR").

Now they may end up being wrong, but it's pretty obvious they thought Luchanko was in the same tier as a prospect.

Yes, of course.

But Charlie asked a specific question to which he chose to give an even more specific answer and then tried to walk it back the next day. That feels materially different to me than the usual generic PR.

As I say every time this is brought up, fantastic job by COC on this one. It's so nice to be able to say that.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The irony is CF would have taken Buium.
He was always "safety first" in his dealings, that is, don't go out on a limb.
Which is why his trades were always "consensus value," that is, he'd pay what other teams generally would pay in trades and in free agency.

His problem was he bought the wrong things at the store.

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008
The irony is CF would have taken Buium.
He was always "safety first" in his dealings, that is, don't go out on a limb.
Which is why his trades were always "consensus value," that is, he'd pay what other teams generally would pay in trades and in free agency.

His problem was he bought the wrong things at the store.

I have zero faith whatsoever they would have taken Buium. 2019 was a Fletcher draft where they went out on two giant limbs in R1.

Hell, you can argue they went out on 4 different limbs to make that York pick.

I might add that was one case where I and others wanted the big Defenseman over the small one.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You and others talk about NAK like he is some good player. NAK had his shot. He failed and was passed over. Got a change of scenery and now is a borderline NHL plyer.

He is not a good example of the Flyers failed process. If he is then pretty much every team has a failed process. People still talk about NAK is pure entertainment.

Has any other player gone on to anything worthwhile because of the Flyers failed process? Is there a pattern of "misses" who have gone Elshere to contribute? Maybe just maybe those players are just not good enough. Nah can't be. To me it is the draft that is the main issue. Not Devlopment.

Do not misconstrue that I think the Flyer's process is good or anything to that nature. They are incompetent. No argument here.

He didn't fail, is the thing. The team wrongly think he did, which they continue to do with other players because they overvalue veteran 4th liners. That's the whole problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad